Where Does Your old PC Really Go?

Working with classified department, when our HD failed, we tend to ether like what FOXRAC said, taking the HD apart and remove the platter then either use sand paper to rub around the platter surface or use the hammer to beat up the platter. Now what I normally do at home is that I drill a holes on the HD using my drill press (no need to take it apart) then trash it to recycling center. You know no one want to spend extra money to get it recoverd from many holes on the HD.

gwscan.exe floppy or cd for clean or kill or wipe off- harddrive use write to zero........

when you format, all the information about which files are stored on a disk and where they are stored is overwritten, but the files are still there. when you zero fill the hard disk, you write zeros to all the storage space on the disk, so the files are gone. but this means you need to format the disk to write information about where it can store files, so i guess a zero fill by killdisk should include a format, or would need one afterwards.

Crusher.JPG

Or

sledgehammer.jpg

there is a linux program you can download called d-ban
it overwrites the drive 37 times
takes about 3 hours for a 160 gig drive
this program is free and very powerful
believe me they cannot recover any files from the drive (I do forensic work on computers and use d-ban to sterilize hard drives)

you can download it from Darik's Boot And Nuke | Hard Drive Disk Wipe and Data Clearing
you need to burn it as an iso file. use a mini cd because the program is small
(just over 2 meg in size) you might be able to install it to usb stick)

gnuuser:
there is a linux program you can download called d-ban
it overwrites the drive 37 times
takes about 3 hours for a 160 gig drive
this program is free and very powerful
believe me they cannot recover any files from the drive (I do forensic work on computers and use d-ban to sterilize hard drives)

you can download it from Darik's Boot And Nuke | Hard Drive Disk Wipe and Data Clearing
you need to burn it as an iso file. use a mini cd because the program is small
(just over 2 meg in size) you might be able to install it to usb stick)

d-ban.exe write to zero toooo slow running for 160gb harddrive for three hours

gwscan 5.12 exe write to zero fast running for 160gb harddrive for 30mins.. if 500gb just one hours 30min less complete

gwscan.exe can use any brand name harddrive

GWSCAN 5.12

gwscan 5.12 exe write to zero fast running for 160gb harddrive for 30mins.. if 500gb just one hours 30min less complete

GWSCAN 5.12

gnuuser uses Linux, not Windows.

Quote:foxrac:
Originally Posted by ComputerLover

GWSCAN 5.12

gnuuser uses Linux, not Windows

ohh, for linux only ohh, i see i was use redhat and mandrake linux about 7years ago

wait mins (foxrac)

gwscan exe for harddrive - nothing do with windows or linux because floppy or cd will pop up gwscan bootable screen on harddrive.. click 1 then menu select write to zero

Operating Systems: All Windows Operating Systems
All Operating Systems

wait mins (foxrac)

gwscan exe for harddrive - nothing do with windows or linux because floppy or cd will pop up gwscan bootable screen on harddrive.. click 1 then menu select write to zero

Operating Systems: All Windows Operating Systems
All Operating Systems

Oh, okay, I got it.

I have two old PC desktop units and Mac desktop unit in my storage. I must clean out my files for documents and applications before donating them to schools or Goodwill.

Exactly how do you destroy it?
You have to do what is called a DoD (Department of Defense) wipe of the harddrive. It makes several passes flipping the bits so that no data can be retrived. There are several programs out there that will do this. Boot and Nuke is one of them. Another option is to physically destroy the drive by drilling several holes through it or cutting into slices with a saw.

destroy hard drive

give your old hard drive to Reb, she has military connections and can give them to the artillery range for target practice. should do the job.
i myself never do my banking online for just this reason. of course i am close to my bank if i need to go there. but with direct deposit i rarely see my bank anyway . the Nigerian scammers have me on their to-do list and the usual attacks most online users face keep me away from doing much private info online. can never keep up with the hackers

give your old hard drive to Reb, she has military connections and can give them to the artillery range for target practice. should do the job.
i myself never do my banking online for just this reason. of course i am close to my bank if i need to go there. but with direct deposit i rarely see my bank anyway . the Nigerian scammers have me on their to-do list and the usual attacks most online users face keep me away from doing much private info online. can never keep up with the hackers

and Ghanaian scammers too.

I use my USB to eSATA Drive Adapter for old files transfer to new HDD and then, destory old HDD.

UHUBS002800_01_L.jpg

Plug it to a 220 volt line and watch it crash and burn. Oh wait, I've been watching too many science movies. :laugh2:

Back