Where Does Your old PC Really Go?

and.. Police Dept took old copy machine to e-waste or re-sell to public. But, inside copy machine have HDD can steal ID information, Credit Card history, SSN, Bank account number and Sex Offender mugshots.

images

Copier Machines Jackpot For Identity Thieves? - News Story - WPBF West Palm Beach

Do Photocopier Hard Drives Put you at Risk for Identity Theft? You bet. - Denise Richardson

A New Way to Steal Your Identity - Copy Machines

whoa. ya'all are silly. here's proper way of discarding HDD

1. Use the sanitizer program like "KillDisk" that meets DoD's sanitizing standard to wipe out HDD digitally (DoD 5220.22-M - KillDisk meets this standard)
2. Use hammer, sledgehammer, hacksaw, grinder, etc. and do it Office Space style
3. For those who are into pyrotechnic - burn your HDD with thermite. throwing it into lake or fire is not good enough

The Pentagon and CIA discard their HDD by using a large shredder machine and then they melt it

1. Use the sanitizer program like "KillDisk" that meets DoD's sanitizing standard to wipe out HDD digitally (DoD 5220.22-M - KillDisk meets this standard)
2. Use hammer, sledgehammer, hacksaw, grinder, etc. and do it Office Space style
3. For those who are into pyrotechnic - burn your HDD with thermite. throwing it into lake or fire is not good enough

The Pentagon and CIA discard their HDD by using a large shredder machine and then they melt it
I don't think all posters are being silly about their strategical methods.. Your especially post is solution above all posters's strategy?

Sweetie Reba, You can rent a small road roller, did you know that? :P

I don't think all posters are being silly about their strategical methods.. Your especially post is solution above all posters's strategy?

Sweetie Reba, You can rent a small road roller, did you know that? :P

you silly one

:hmm: I do have people that haven't made payments on their loans in a year.

jiro:

gwscan.exe same as "KillDisk"

the reason d-ban takes so long is because it overwrites the drive 37 times:shock:
(three consecutive passes of 12 loops)(the Mersiene twister) and a final blanking and verification.
these drives are then classed as forensically sterile because nothing can be recovered from the drives.
My business is forensics and data recovery so this is why I recommend it

if security is paramount for you then the time is worth it and as a bonus the drive can be reused in an external case or as spare parts for another:D

Back