Where did 'bored/boring' sign come from?

Sorry but there's a big difference between laying a finger by the side of your nose and looking like you're about to pick your nose. One's a conversation stopper, Santa isn't....

Laura

Done correctly and like a native, it by no stretch of the imagination, looks like nose picking.

Sorry but there's a big difference between laying a finger by the side of your nose and looking like you're about to pick your nose. One's a conversation stopper, Santa isn't....

Laura
Like I posted, I've never confused anyone's sign for BORING with nose picking.

Sounds like some people might have a childhood situation that was never resolved. :dunno:

Or, some people just aren't comfortable with the physicality of signing. I know one woman who won't touch herself for contact signs such as PLEASE, HAPPY, CONFESS, or BODY. Her signs just kinda "float" out in space.

So, I guess it's just a personal quirk that makes some people uncomfortable with certain signs.

First of all, I have seen people pick their noses, and I have never confused their actions for the sign BORING, and vice versa.

Secondly, you can use thumb twiddling, too. There is no rule in ASL that prohibits that.

Third, not all ASL signs are iconic. Not every sign is based on some object's appearance or on some representative action. The same with spoken languages. Not every word is onomatopoetic.

ASL is not just a refinement of natural gestures. It is a language.

What bothers me is, EU has recognized several sign languages... but not US? I assume that US has the largest deaf population in the world, right???

That's just me, but they did not recognize Spanish language (except independent US companies who take advantage of them).

I assume this has largely to do with the technical laws, right? Such as rights to have interpreters in the court and so forth under the dominant supremacy of English?

I'm slightly confused to this question because ASL is "American" (and I mean US in this respect)...

Oh, and post #21 is also for whoever posted post #16....

Done correctly and like a native, it by no stretch of the imagination, looks like nose picking.

It did when my instructor made the sign and he was deaf and fluent in ASL...sorry, but some signs should be updated. English and Spanish (especially as spoken in the US) change at a drop of the hat and new words are added to our vocabularly every year. Some words are pretty much phased out because they're no longer relevant. ASL is long overdue...

What bothers me is, EU has recognized several sign languages... but not US? I assume that US has the largest deaf population in the world, right???
What do you mean by "recognize" several sign languages?

I don't know that we have the largest deaf population in the world but even if we did, why would we need additional sign languages for our country?

That's just me, but they did not recognize Spanish language (except independent US companies who take advantage of them).
"They" who? Again, what do you mean by "recognize?" The USA has no official language, and many documents and forms are in English, Spanish, and other languages. I'm not sure what you mean.

I assume this has largely to do with the technical laws, right? Such as rights to have interpreters in the court and so forth under the dominant supremacy of English?
What "technical" laws? Yes, English is the language used by the most people in the USA, and yes, interpreters are used in court.

I'm slightly confused to this question because ASL is "American" (and I mean US in this respect)...
I'm confused by your questions. ASL is also used by many deaf Canadians (not all but many).

It did when my instructor made the sign and he was deaf and fluent in ASL...sorry, but some signs should be updated. English and Spanish (especially as spoken in the US) change at a drop of the hat and new words are added to our vocabularly every year. Some words are pretty much phased out because they're no longer relevant. ASL is long overdue...
Languages do change, over time, in a natural way, by the native users. Also, adding to vocabulary is not the same as changing existing vocabulary just to suit individual preferences.

Personally, I find your statement "some signs should be updated" to quite thoughtless.

At this stage of your language learning you should just focus on doing it right before you even consider messing with it.

What do you mean by "recognize" several sign languages?

I don't know that we have the largest deaf population in the world but even if we did, why would we need additional sign languages for our country?

"They" who? Again, what do you mean by "recognize?" The USA has no official language, and many documents and forms are in English, Spanish, and other languages. I'm not sure what you mean.

What "technical" laws? Yes, English is the language used by the most people in the USA, and yes, interpreters are used in court.

I'm confused by your questions. ASL is also used by many deaf Canadians (not all but many).

What do you mean by additional recognition of sign languages? You do know that ASL isn't recognised in USA, right?

"They" as you described is the US government.

Um. "US has no official language"? Are you really serious? It's... English...the language is the law of the land... and franca lingua of the world, if you think about it.

By recognition, I meant an acknowledge of the acceptance. Sure, there are several documents in Spanish, but it doesn't mean they endorse them. They are just an "instructions" into assimilation. Basically it all bottoms down to the "acceptance" status into the government as a form of "royal" rights, thus granting more acceptance among government officials.

If you are still confused, then I apologise- I feel like too 'Europeanised' since I came here. My relatives even asked if I lost the concept of what it mean to be an American lately :(

But uhhh... I did not know that some Canadians use ASL. Interesting.

ON TECHNICAL: About interpreters- as I believe, the technical issue of this is that they cannot interpret into any language during the Court presence, except for the client's case as well as the declaration to all audience, right?? Therefore, deaf person would not have known what is going on in the hearings of others than his. I'm not sure if you've interpreted for Court, but if you have, surely you have known this definition of law... Which makes sense actually to me in a way.

Sorry, I've had my 14th beer, along with couple of wine glasses, and ehh. Any further questions? I think I will respond to this when I clear up when I wake up.

Languages do change, over time, in a natural way, by the native users. Also, adding to vocabulary is not the same as changing existing vocabulary just to suit individual preferences.

Personally, I find your statement "some signs should be updated" to quite thoughtless.

At this stage of your language learning you should just focus on doing it right before you even consider messing with it.

Does this include slang signs? Slang signs seem to spread pretty fast in those days.

What do you mean by additional recognition of sign languages? You do know that ASL isn't recognised in USA, right?

Um. "US has no official language"? Are you really serious? It's... English...the language is the law of the land... and franca lingua of the world, if you think about it.

By recognition, I meant an acknowledge of the acceptance. Sure, there are several documents in Spanish, but it doesn't mean they endorse them. They are just an "instructions" into assimilation. Basically it all bottoms down to the "acceptance" status into the government as a form of "royal" rights, thus granting more acceptance among government officials.

If you are still confused, then I apologise- I feel like too 'Europeanised' since I came here. My relatives even asked if I lost the concept of what it mean to be an American lately :(

ON TECHNICAL: About interpreters- as I believe, the technical issue of this is that they cannot interpret into any language during the Court presence, except for the client's case as well as the declaration to all audience, right?? Therefore, deaf person would not have known what is going on in the hearings of others than his. I'm not sure if you've interpreted for Court, but if you have, surely you have known this definition of law... Which makes sense actually to me in a way.

Sorry, I've had my 14th beer, along with couple of wine glasses, and ehh. Any further questions? I think I will respond to this when I clear up when I wake up.

There are many quarters in the US that recognize ASL as a stand alone language(btw, it came here from France) but the US does NOT have an official language even though most use English.

There are many quarters in the US that recognize ASL as a stand alone language(btw, it came here from France) but the US does NOT have an official language even though most use English.

So you are basically saying that US has been a contradictory government for last 230 something years, given sufficient logical that it does not recognise English as the former Colonial language?

That is strange because most of Founder Fathers were sympathetic to British rule...

If you mean that ASL is not "the official sign language of the USA" then you are correct. The USA has no official sign language, just as it has no official spoken language.

Thank you.

Yes, I'm serious. Practically speaking, English is the language used most by the people, businesses, and government agencies of the USA but it is not the "official" language of the USA.

Why should we have more than one language in our country? The USA is a nation of immigrants from all over the world. A common language is one way to unify people of all backgrounds and help them assimilate into the nation.

No need to apologize; all I needed was clarification. :)

Yep. Quite a few.

Interpreting for spoken languages in court comes under a different set of rules than interpreting for deaf court room participants. Deaf people in court are covered by ADA laws for interpretation services. They can request interpreters for all deaf participants, or more than one interpreter for a single deaf defendant.

I would hazard to say "most" Canadians. The largest exception would, of course be the Quebecois......

I would hazard to say "most" Canadians. The largest exception would, of course be the Quebecois......

ah, yeah... dem French. Didn't Canada have an issue with French terrorists (or separatists if you prefer that term) back in 1990s?

To answer the original question- when have you ever been paying attention to someone AND picked your nose?
How many times this week have you been watching TV and found yourself picking your nose?
I'm willing to bet that the former is (hopefully) zero and the latter is at least once.

I'm avoiding the discussion about ASL being recognized as an official language in the states.
(Languages of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Many states have (stupid and meaningless) laws that state that English is the official language of that state but the country as a whole does not have any official language.

Why does a language need to be recognized by a government?

Hint- it doesn't.

ah, yeah... dem French. Didn't Canada have an issue with French terrorists (or separatists if you prefer that term) back in 1990s?

I'm really beginning to wonder if you're trolling or not with your outrageous statements. Either that or you need to stop posting while you're drunk.

The last 'militant' group of French Canadian separatists I recall hearing about were the FLQ and that was before I was even born. They had referendums in the 1990s but that's it.

Yes, we use ASL in Canada. Some of the signs are different from the (mainly California-produced) textbooks we're using because of regional variations, but it's still ASL. There is also LSQ which is used in Quebec and a few cities in Ontario.

Wow.

So, all of the sudden the experts seems to know what's the correct sign or to modify it after only knowing the language for a short time? I don't know about that but that's somthing that really gets past by seeing how the attitude is towards one's language.

No we don't have (and never have had ) "French Terrorists" GOOD GRIEF!

Where the hell do you read or make up this crap?

Oh, and yes - MOST of Canada uses ASL.

I'm really beginning to wonder if you're trolling or not with your outrageous statements. Either that or you need to stop posting while you're drunk.

The last 'militant' group of French Canadian separatists I recall hearing about were the FLQ and that was before I was even born. They had referendums in the 1990s but that's it.

Yes, we use ASL in Canada. Some of the signs are different from the (mainly California-produced) textbooks we're using because of regional variations, but it's still ASL. There is also LSQ which is used in Quebec and a few cities in Ontario.

What is LSQ?

Back