Where did 'bored/boring' sign come from?

Langue des signes québécoise (Quebec Sign Language). It's part of the LSF family like ASL is.

You can see it being used here.

Um. I think you are probably too young to remember, perhaps?

Front de libération du Québec - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's cool- I guess ASL usage in Canada isn't a bad thing :)

No - I'm not too young to remember.
We just don't consider everything "terrorist" in nature here in Canada.

Wikipedia can write whatever it wants (literally) - that doesn't make it an accurate representation of how we felt about the situation at the time.

That's cool- I guess ASL usage in Canada isn't a bad thing :)

Well, gee - I'm glad you approve :roll:

Incidentally, while ASL isn't recognized as an official language within the USA, ASL (and LSQ) IS recognized as an official language within Canada - and has been since the late '80s

Well, gee - I'm glad you approve :roll:

Incidentally, while ASL isn't recognized as an official language within the USA, ASL (and LSQ) IS recognized as an official language within Canada - and has been since the late '80s

From my understanding, French and English are the two official languages in/of Canada. However, ASL and LSQ are the official languages of the Canadian Deaf Association. Is my understanding incorrect?

From my understanding, French and English are the two official languages in/of Canada. However, ASL and LSQ are the official languages of the Canadian Deaf Association. Is my understanding incorrect?

CAD has nothing to do with ASL and LSQ being recognized - however they ARE the two official sign languages of CAD.

The official recognition was initially by individual provincial ruling (MB was first in 1988) - it recognizes ASL as an official language (not a "foreign language"), and therefore guarantees the rights of Hoh/Deaf/SI persons to be able to access most government services (including education) in those languages. (Think how long we've had the CPAC ASL/LSQ bubble)

In MB for example interpreters are provided free of charge for anything like government run (including city programs) like swimming lessons, fitness and education classes etc as well as "official" conferences etc. In many cities coverage is even more extensive than what is provincially required.

So you are basically saying that US has been a contradictory government for last 230 something years, given sufficient logical that it does not recognise English as the former Colonial language?

That is strange because most of Founder Fathers were sympathetic to British rule...

There isn't one official language in America. Many different ones are used but not a single one is the official American language. English is used for most businesses and in the majority of homes but it isn't actually official in that there isn't a *requirement* that people conduct their business in English. Unofficially, yeah, English is basically the language of America in the eyes of most. We do recognize many different languages outside of it though.

------------

...and that's all the input I have for this thread. *backs away slowly*

CAD has nothing to do with ASL and LSQ being recognized - however they ARE the two official sign languages of CAD.

The official recognition was initially by individual provincial ruling (MB was first in 1988) - it recognizes ASL as an official language (not a "foreign language"), and therefore guarantees the rights of Hoh/Deaf/SI persons to be able to access most government services (including education) in those languages. (Think how long we've had the CPAC ASL/LSQ bubble)

In MB for example interpreters are provided free of charge for anything like government run (including city programs) like swimming lessons, fitness and education classes etc as well as "official" conferences etc. In many cities coverage is even more extensive than what is provincially required.

Ah ok, I am following you now. French and english are the two official languages of Canada but ASL is an officially recognized minority language. There is a difference between the official language/s of a country and officially recognized languages by a country and that's where I was confused.

Ah ok, I am following you now. French and english are the two official languages of Canada but ASL is an officially recognized minority language. There is a difference between the official language/s of a country and officially recognized languages by a country and that's where I was confused.

It's actually considered more than a "minority language" (Mandarin, Tagalog, Ukrainian, etc are considered minority languages). It's in a unique position - in that ASL and LSQ users have specific language rights (and accessibility rights) which are more significant and wide reaching than other community/minority languages.

I remember that one in ASL class - it's got to be the most embarrasing sign to do. Do people use other words instead? I'd imagine it'd be a conversation stopper....

Laura

You and the OP are going to hate my sign for Fuddruckers and Jack in the Box.

:deaf:

Back