When you were a new member of AD....

I was searching for deaf and hard of hearing communities as I was looking to see if there were any local deaf socials in my area as I was struggling with my hearing or the lack thereof. It had finally come to a head to where I had to decide if I was going to be ashamed of it or if I were going to embrace. I'm glad I found AD.com because here I found that it's OK to embrace deafness. Of course the first few months I mostly lurked and hid my browsing on here from my parents as they were afraid that I would 'regress'. They still oppose sign language, but now I don't care. I posted a few times then I quit for a year, then I came back. Now I feel like I have people I can talk to that understands my frustrations and that eases my tensions.

Now whenever I interview for a job - instead of hiding my disability and the boss finds out later - I just lay it out up front. Ever since I've not been turned down nor fired from any position.

I'm very proud to say that I am a part of the All Deaf community. This place is more than just hot, it's flaming and I hope it stays that way.
Good to hear that! :cool2:

I was searching for deaf and hard of hearing communities as I was looking to see if there were any local deaf socials in my area as I was struggling with my hearing or the lack thereof. It had finally come to a head to where I had to decide if I was going to be ashamed of it or if I were going to embrace. I'm glad I found AD.com because here I found that it's OK to embrace deafness. Of course the first few months I mostly lurked and hid my browsing on here from my parents as they were afraid that I would 'regress'. They still oppose sign language, but now I don't care. I posted a few times then I quit for a year, then I came back. Now I feel like I have people I can talk to that understands my frustrations and that eases my tensions.

Now whenever I interview for a job - instead of hiding my disability and the boss finds out later - I just lay it out up front. Ever since I've not been turned down nor fired from any position.
I'm very proud to say that I am a part of the All Deaf community. This place is more than just hot, it's flaming and I hope it stays that way.

Good, keep up the good work!

When I first joined AD in January of 2005, I jumped right into the conversation. That's the easiest way to meet people and have the greater community get to know you. I've made alot of great friends here and will always treasure those I am close to. :)

I'm a new member! I just mostly lurk and browse old threads... I'm a bit shy in RL and I suppose it carries over. :aw:

When I first joined AD in January of 2005, I jumped right into the conversation. That's the easiest way to meet people and have the greater community get to know you. I've made alot of great friends here and will always treasure those I am close to. :)

I remember that u rarely posted when u first joined and then u were away for a long time. right?

I joined...did a few posts...then forgot about AD...lol. Then somehow I was doing a research on something when I came across it again. Started posting on it again. For me, when I first joined, I didn't really feel welcomed. It was obvious some members had been on here for quite some time. Lately I hadn't been posting much because my life is nuts. Plus I'm still leery over my online stalker...he can't post here but that doesn't mean he doesn't log on to read...which I'm sure he does just for kicks. Ugh. So now I have to be careful what I say, etc. more than I usually do. I'm a member of several forums, especially goth forums...I find that I'm more comfortable there than here because they are more open to what I have to say. I feel restricted on this site sometimes. It seems that many of the members here are so sensitive that I have to word my words carefully, which sucks since I feel I have good insight to share sometimes. But it's still a good site in other aspects. I've made friends through this site- and rediscovered friends as well. I've learned some good things as well. And that's what being a member of a good forum is all about. So new members if you see this- post away! :)

Interesting posts here.

it's look like I am only one is different. As former newbie, I was tend to be on, off, on, off, and go on at the AllDeaf but I was not really active in June 2007. Until I suddenly had a lack of the posting at around November 2007 (I think). Then, I finally returned to post more comments around on March or Feburary 2008.

I'm still on, off, on, off, and so on.

Eheh... ^_^

Once I became a new member of AD, I posted right away. ;)

Shel90 said:
I remember that u rarely posted when u first joined and then u were away for a long time. right?
Yup, I remembered, she rarely posted when she first joined, I noticed that she posts more this year. :)

Back