When should I teach my son ASL?

bonkiefry

Reaction score
He is 7 months old. My good friend tells me that I should teach my son at 8 months old.

anytime really.. more younger the better but dont expect too much of a baby yet... just keep talking to him in signs.. he will pick itup eventually on his own

Yes; The earliest the better the baby would learn.

Question to ask you if you do not mind...

Are you going to use both ASL and English? :D

Our grand-daughter(hearing) is a little over a year old and already knows about a half dozen signs.

Well, think about it....hearing babies begin to hear language from the start even in the womb. It's an exception for deaf born babies which obviously is unknown until they are born and tested. Starting right now is not going to do any "bad" to your son. Babies will eventually pick up--they won't begin signing to you, but they may react at recognizable signs. Babies brains are just capable of learning anything without having it explained to them. That's the wonder of the brain in babies ;). I think at 3 months old is when babies turn to names or maybe it varies, but yeah that tells me babies understand more than we do.

bonkiefry said:
He is 7 months old. My good friend tells me that I should teach my son at 8 months old.

There is no Rules for you to teach Sign lanuage with your child... :) If the baby is just born as 1 minute old and you can sign to baby "Hello, I am your Mama." so baby can see you if close each other. :)
I did signed my kids since they were born and they learned so many words.

mommyof3

You can teach him now.. I've been signing and talking to my 3 boys since they were born to now..they picked up on words and signs pretty well when they began to understand better, except my youngest, he's only 2 mos old.. but I still sign and talk to him both at the same time..;)

i have 2 little cousin and i basicly raise them up and i teach them sign when they was abt 3 month old.. and they know alot of sign abt 400 sign and both of them is 3 and 5 year old.. i will say better to start teacher asap it start say words.. :)

Sure, I sign my children since they were babies.

Stay what you are and use your own language then your children will learn to accept you and your own language.

Just out of curiosity, why wait? Hearing parents don't wait to talk to their babies. Why would deaf parents wait to sign?

Cheri said:
Yes; The earliest the better the baby would learn.

Question to ask you if you do not mind...

Are you going to use both ASL and English?

We will use Asl. We will talk when we sign. My husband is hearing. :)

even though i do not have a child of my own.. i believe ill use this method.. if that child is deaf.. naturally i will use ASL but as soon as that child is in reading age i will use English for education only because i know too many deaf people who do not have good english and i think it will help them learn... but again for communication i will use ASL

if the child is hearing i will use only ASL because that child will be around other hearing people and will learn english naturally like a normal hearing child would. i might be wrong here... and when i do have a child my method might change.. but till then thats waht i believe... reading and communication comes first for children before they goes school (especially communication :) )

As early as possible, the better. The child will pick up a sign language much faster than a hearing child would pick up a spoken language, as it is all visual, and they can't talk clearly until a certain age, but there are no limits with sign language. Just be sure to teach him English as well, and teach him good reading and writing skills, and you should be all set.

I signed and still sign to my both boys, they are 2 1/2 and 9 months old...looks they they have their stubborn streak from DH. They know signs but won't use it.. I can not force them, I let them use it when they want.

My oldest knows when I sign to him with no voice, he understands it perfect...he signs with one finger which is good enough (better than nothing at all). Sign anytime. My baby knows hello and milk, dada, and mama...even few weeks he will stop, i just keep signing to boys constantly every day. Bizzare...they sign to teachers at school but not at home?!?! I guess they want to test our waters...... :OP:

Back