What's with the judgements against people including myself having an CI or two?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forget the dictionary definition. That was not written by a deaf person either.

The definition of "deaf" as I always understood it to mean is that their hearing is not capable of allowing them to communicate by sound alone. If you can hear well enough to know what someone is saying just by the sounds that are coming from their voices then you are not deaf. You'd be considered (depending on who you asked) either Hard of hearing or Hearing impaired.

So, take a person who cannot know what you are saying to them by a normal way of hearing. In other words the sound waves of their voice reach your ear canal, through the inner ear and is interpreted to the brain by the hearing nerve. If you cannot do this "Naturally" then you are by definition deaf.

If you need another means of knowing what someone is saying because you can't do it the "Natural way". Whether it be lip reading, ASL or with the aid of a mechanical device. Then you are still deaf.

Don't hold the term "Natural way" of hearing against me. It may not seem like it but in this case "Natural hearing" means that the ears are working the way they are suppose to work and we are a species that are made to communicate in this way. The natural way for a human to communicate is by sound and speech. Of course it's not the only way we communicate but its' the primary method.

Anyway, as a person who has been HOH all his life, deaf for about 20 years and recently got a CI. I can tell you with certainty that I cannot hear what anyone is saying without being able to see them or the use of this device. I therefore am a deaf person.

All this "Deaf pride" is mainly from people with in the deaf/deaf culture. I think that's an awesome thing. Everyone should be confident with who they are. On the other hand, I've never been a part of any deaf culture. So that doesn't concern me that much.

So if someone wants to judge you because of your CI. Judge them for being so judgmental. Me, my family and friends are happy about my CI. That's all that matters to me.

Ron Jaxon

lol, im really cracking up here.

Lets keep our debates HERE, not to the PM's. Yall hear? I don't need nobody PMing me telling me I am wrong.

You see, my opinion is just that, my opinion. No need to PM me with the title "You're wrong."

Now Jasin - go to scholar.google.com and pull up a credible empirical research textbook on this while we wait.

I had to waste energy responding to two of them myself just now.

Forget the dictionary definition. That was not written by a deaf person either.

The definition of "deaf" as I always understood it to mean is that their hearing is not capable of allowing them to communicate by sound alone. If you can hear well enough to know what someone is saying just by the sounds that are coming from their voices then you are not deaf. You'd be considered (depending on who you asked) either Hard of hearing or Hearing impaired.

So, take a person who cannot know what you are saying to them by a normal way of hearing. In other words the sound waves of their voice reach your ear canal, through the inner ear and is interpreted to the brain by the hearing nerve. If you cannot do this "Naturally" then you are by definition deaf.

If you need another means of knowing what someone is saying because you can't do it the "Natural way". Whether it be lip reading, ASL or with the aid of a mechanical device. Then you are still deaf.

Don't hold the term "Natural way" of hearing against me. It may not seem like it but in this case "Natural hearing" means that the ears are working the way they are suppose to work and we are a species that are made to communicate in this way. The natural way for a human to communicate is by sound and speech. Of course it's not the only way we communicate but its' the primary method.

Anyway, as a person who has been HOH all his life, deaf for about 20 years and recently got a CI. I can tell you with certainty that I cannot hear what anyone is saying without being able to see them or the use of this device. I therefore am a deaf person.

All this "Deaf pride" is mainly from people with in the deaf/deaf culture. I think that's an awesome thing. Everyone should be confident with who they are. On the other hand, I've never been a part of any deaf culture. So that doesn't concern me that much.

So if someone wants to judge you because of your CI. Judge them for being so judgmental. Me, my family and friends are happy about my CI. That's all that matters to me.

Ron Jaxon

:gpost:!!

Mod's Note:

Time to close this thread for mod review.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back