What's with the judgements against people including myself having an CI or two?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deafness, "The lack or severe impairment of the ability to hear." (The American Heritage® Science Dictionary)

Right, and a CI user's hearing is so "impaired" that they need a metal device crammed into their inner ear to hear! That is pretty severe!

I'm not saying its right or wrong i'm just stating what some other deaf I have spoken with have said. That is their reasoning. As for me, I respectfully disagree with you. Hearing, which is what the implant gives you, is not deafness.

Oh, and there are Deaf people who can hear with HA's and some who can hear certain things with no amplification at all, just residual hearing. Are they not deaf either?

Oh, and there are Deaf people who can hear with HA's and some who can hear certain things with no amplification at all, just residual hearing. Are they not deaf either?

Deafness, "The lack or severe impairment of the ability to hear." (The American Heritage® Science Dictionary)

My point was a bit obvious.

You're just here to make more people hate you. I think you actually get a kick out of this, I am not going to bother because the reasonable people and myself on this forum know the truth

I know, and I already responded. Please read before you post the same information.

The amplification of only environmental sounds, mostly noise, is not complete hearing nor is it worth getting any device that only does that.

jasin said:
Deaf people who judge those that have been implanted say that people with implants are changing themselves, they are changing their identity. They are, in essence, not truly deaf anymore. They say these people are basically hearing, with the capability of the machine of course, and in a lot of cases even start to act like hearing people.

Us who are implanted are still deaf and always will be. Even with my CI, I'm still deaf, I am unable to understand most people without lipreading

Some people are still deaf after the CI, some people are hearing. Some people can use the phone after getting the CI, others still need to use sign language. Some like to keep their Deaf identity, others like to shed it. Everyone's different. What may be true for one person isn't necessarily true for all.

Functionality is just what happens, identity is up to the CI user.

The amplification of only environmental sounds, mostly noise, is not complete hearing nor is it worth getting any device that only does that.

Is it anything to do with you? Does it hurt you in any way? No!! So just let people do what they wish to do. It is not your decision

Others may feel that it is indeed worth getting if it means they can hear environmental sounds. While I'm not a CI user, I'm HOH but I can hear environmental sounds and for me that makes a huge difference, especially as a blind person who uses them to navigate. Don't underestimate how much others may value environmental sounds just cause you don't.

Others may feel that it is indeed worth getting if it means they can hear environmental sounds. While I'm not a CI user, I'm HOH but I can hear environmental sounds and for me that makes a huge difference, especially as a blind person who uses them to navigate. Don't underestimate how much others may value environmental sounds just cause you don't.

:gpost:

And having a CI is NOT complete restoration of hearing either, not even close! For one thing, the speech processor only captures a small sections of frequecies. A CI users has NO HEARING outside that range.

Plus, some deaf people with CI's hear as little as or less than other deaf people with HA's.

So, where is the line?

Is it anything to do with you? Does it hurt you in any way? No!! So just let people do what they wish to do. It is not your decision

Don't get hurt or upset. He is clearly uninformed and ignorant.

Yeah, to each his/her own. For example, my wife has a hearing aid only for environmental sounds (vs spoken language) and she is happy at that level. And that's what counts. Jasin, be more respectful of the various reasons people make their choices.

Another thing to take into consideration is that everyone's brain is different. Two CI users might have the exact same hearing with their CI, but one has 90% speech comprehension and the other has 10% because of the way their brains interpret the information coming in through the CI.

Ignore him. It's atypical of him; read his post history, He does not represent the average Deaf person; he's only trying to stir the pot.

I'm not upset- don't worry guys!! I don't bothered with people like him!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back