Whats up with these hearing people?

Im fine with hearies wanting to learn ASL....but i not fine when they not want to use what they learn to communicate with us Deaf. But instead..it becomes their own little group meetings and their own little sign groups....i would rather them roll up their sleeves and go out meet greet us.....at least break out of their lil groups they formed.

Or it's those teeny bopper girls who are all......OMG ASL is like SO fun and SO cool! or they want to teach ASL to handicapped children.

Well I see that is the third definition. I haven't ever seen it used that way before.

And really it probably offends you as a hearing ASL student. But it becomes a real nuisance to us as it seems to be a constant procession of students coming in and it takes over the forum.

I'm not saying I don't understand your frustration. :)
I just hope you're not putting all of us hearies into one group of annoying people. :)

I will be so glad when this thread closes. I for one am done with it.

Last edited:
I am totally deaf and I remember Botti when I was fairly new to this site told me that most deaf people are very blunt. So my first Deaf Coffee Social I sat in my car getting up the nerve to walk in. I finally went in and held out my hand and introduced myself.
I was so worried about signing that I was deaf and my name. The fellow looked at me with a smile and said "you have lipstick on your teeth". Hahahaha Luckily I remember what Botti had told me and instead of getting upset, I just laughed. After that things were fine. Anyone can be a jerk, hearing or deaf.

People also need to remember that some of these hearing people at these events are spouses of us deaf trying to learn too.

Oh...dont have a computer. Thats why i cant find it. Just my cell. Ok, thanks anyway.

If its a smartphone then tap the area above the buttons at the bottom right of the post you want to like. The like link should appear. You may need to enlarge the page to see it.

So is ASL believe it or not, also in the top of the worlds most spoken languages. The difference is most other languages welcome people and are delighted by the interest in their culture. The deaf community is unique in that they exclude people, and in the same breath, wonder why people don't understand them....

Laura

so true

If you hate us that much Laura what are you even doing around us horrible people. What are you even doing on this site, this forum if we are that bad? I just dont get it. If we Deaf are abusing you like you say, why stick around where the abuse is? Geez!

She's on this site because, whether you like it or not, she's deaf and neither you nor the deaf community can say otherwise. No different than than any other U.S. citizen who sees things in their culture that is not right, just like the abolitionists during the time of slavery. You may not like the group you are in, but you can't divorce yourself from it.

Wow, plenty of misunderstand here in this thread. I see that OP was referred to Hearing people that can't speak and think it is fake.

To be honest, I have met some Hearing people that actually can't talk verbally well. For example stuttering. I don't think it is fake because my wife used to take care of two small girls when my oldest son was young, one of them can't talk but can hear, mind you she was only 3 years old and she faking it? Why would 3 years old faking it?

To understand what this post thread was meant to convey, please take time to read the new thread......thank you -deafgam

I have to comment on this - I had a classmate in one of my ASL classes who had to resort to ASL even though he was hearing. He ended up with throat cancer due to second hand smoke and lost his vocal cords. He literally cannot talk. Yes, there are some people who cannot talk for one reason or another and they are wanting and needing to learn ASL ion spite of still being hearing.

I'm glad somebody pointed that out.

Back