Whats up with these hearing people?

"Silentsigns" you say you were ridiculed? No, i think more like a fun teased. I wasnt there, but i know Deaf men. They see young HS girl make a mistake with a sexual sign and they had fun. Thats Deaf culture. Trust me, you being young, attractive, and new to group, it was your attention they wanted.
"Lau2046" - it not same as those studying Chinese, Japanese or Arabic because those langagues are for hearing. My language is for Deaf /HoH ears.
"Smili"-all i can say to you is ...you perplex me. I see you as want get in on thread post but just didnt make a point here...hmmm...you echo everyone else.
"Lau2046"-What??? What do you mean the difference is other languages welcome people and are delighted by the interest in their culture? This just prove you dont understand us Deaf at all for you slap us down like this.

"Lau2046"-What??? What do you mean the difference is other languages welcome people and are delighted by the interest in their culture? This just prove you dont understand us Deaf at all for you slap us down like this.

From everything I read on this forum, it sure doesn't come across to me that the deaf community has patience with students interested in learning the language and culture. I've been floored by the kindness of Chinese as I struggled to learn their language....sounding like an idiot the whole time no doubt, but they never laughed at me or made me feel unwelcomed. They've been patient and forgiving. The same is true with my interaction with Spanish and Italian speakers. All I find here is thread after thread about how annoyed you people are at those outside the community having the nerve to show the slightest interest. You label them, you ridicule them and you push them away. I doubt I've over looked anything....

Laura

If you hate us that much Laura what are you even doing around us horrible people. What are you even doing on this site, this forum if we are that bad? I just dont get it. If we Deaf are abusing you like you say, why stick around where the abuse is? Geez!

ITS really starting to annoy me. Maybe you have seen some of them on here. Yeah, you know the kind. Those strange hearing ( NOT ALL HEARING PEOPLE) get on here saying they can hear, but cant talk. Oh, please, are they for real? They want join Deaf community? What???? Your own hearing community couldnt put up with you so you want to try a whole new culture? What about some of those who say....oh you have Deaf baby or grand child??? Oh you are so lucky. Here is another....when i get married i want marry Deaf man so i will always have someone sign with. Then i want have Deaf babies. .....ok....ok.....then the hearing community wonders why the Deaf builds a wall around them. For those hearies that really try and learn ASL THANK YOU Thank you for those who make a real effort. But for those who know you guilty shame on you.

I have to comment on this - I had a classmate in one of my ASL classes who had to resort to ASL even though he was hearing. He ended up with throat cancer due to second hand smoke and lost his vocal cords. He literally cannot talk. Yes, there are some people who cannot talk for one reason or another and they are wanting and needing to learn ASL ion spite of still being hearing.

Of course Kristen...there is a lot of people that have reasons they are not able to speak and have to learn signs. But the person i am referring to....as many of my readers know and also was apart of this persons post.....know he was a fake. So dont assume i am referring to anyone and everyone who cqnnot speak....dont jump on me when you dont know the full story...okay?

That is not the definition of "exploit."

Now I am left wondering what word you were actually seeking.

Exploit:

3. To advertise.

WHAT I was TRYING to say in OTHER words is that we shouldn't even discuss these idiots. They don't need any ATTENTION (advertisement) because of their dumb actions.

"Silentsigns" you say you were ridiculed? No, i think more like a fun teased. I wasnt there, but i know Deaf men. They see young HS girl make a mistake with a sexual sign and they had fun. Thats Deaf culture. Trust me, you being young, attractive, and new to group, it was your attention they wanted.

Hahahah! Thank you for the clarification deafgam. It wasn't just males that were being jerks about the mistake. But now that i'm older, I know they were just making light of the mistake. It just hurt my feelings at the time. :)

Funny way to get attention! That seems to me to be a complete "turn off" for the one being teased resulting in anything but a favorable impression and not a good type of attention.

"Lau2046" - it not same as those studying Chinese, Japanese or Arabic because those langagues are for hearing. My language is for Deaf /HoH ears.

I think this is an illustration of what Laura means = you think it should be just for Deaf/HOH ears.

"Smili"-all i can say to you is ...you perplex me. I see you as want get in on thread post but just didnt make a point here...hmmm...you echo everyone else.

I don't think she is slapping you down but saying that she feels that she is being rejected (slapped down as you term it) by the deaf rather than being welcomed.

I have entered comments in green to try to make it easier to follow what I am replying to. Hope it worked that way.

I agree with Jane B.

I'll say again, this is not a cultural issue. There are idiots out there and deaf/HOH people tend to attract them.

I have entered comments in green to try to make it easier to follow what I am replying to. Hope it worked that way.

Exploit:

3. To advertise.

WHAT I was TRYING to say in OTHER words is that we shouldn't even discuss these idiots. They don't need any ATTENTION (advertisement) because of their dumb actions.

ex·ploit (ksploit, k-sploit)
n.
An act or deed, especially a brilliant or heroic one. See Synonyms at feat1.
tr.v. (k-sploit, ksploit) ex·ploit·ed, ex·ploit·ing, ex·ploits
1. To employ to the greatest possible advantage: exploit one's talents.
2. To make use of selfishly or unethically: a country that exploited peasant labor. See Synonyms at manipulate.
3. To advertise; promote.

Well I see that is the third definition. I haven't ever seen it used that way before.

And really it probably offends you as a hearing ASL student. But it becomes a real nuisance to us as it seems to be a constant procession of students coming in and it takes over the forum.

Hello!!!! I completely understand u guys frustration, but deafgam just went a little over-broad with it!!! I could speak all my life and i work in the health field, and in my line of work i see alot of people from the deaf community comimg through and the sad part of it all is that in the hospital's interpreters are almost never available...and whn u have to sit and watch a deaf person trying to get there point across, many people tht could tlk are not sensitive to there need it hurt:( so i decide to take a course in asl and for the pass four years i been taking tht course...and would u believe tht i am so angry because i am not able to use asl only in the hospital whn i am working to interpret the little tht i learn...i am not where i need to be tht why i am joining these deaf chat room or net work...so there are people like me tht our sincerely trying to reach out to the deaf community to be a part of there life! Because i love to help and because i love it!!

I am hearing but

i don't mean to intrude on your culture... i really, genuinely want to learn asl, i just think of asl as a beautiful language. i think the reason some people in the deaf community don't like hearing people is because, yes, most hearing people don't understand. people say things like, "if they can get an operation to hear, why don't they?" well, why would you want to separate yourself from your community???
it frustrates me so badly when people ask me why would i ever want to learn asl! why wouldn't i?!

i don't see this website as an A on an assignment (my school doesn't even offer a coarse). i see it as, hopefully, an opportunity to connect with others and maybe learn more asl.

Of course Kristen...there is a lot of people that have reasons they are not able to speak and have to learn signs. But the person i am referring to....as many of my readers know and also was apart of this persons post.....know he was a fake. So dont assume i am referring to anyone and everyone who cqnnot speak....dont jump on me when you dont know the full story...okay?

Was not intending to make it sound like I was jumping on you. Geez!!

Well I see that is the third definition. I haven't ever seen it used that way before.

And really it probably offends you as a hearing ASL student. But it becomes a real nuisance to us as it seems to be a constant procession of students coming in and it takes over the forum.

Hello!!!! I completely understand u guys frustration, but deafgam just went a little over-broad with it!!! I could speak all my life and i work in the health field, and in my line of work i see alot of people from the deaf community comimg through and the sad part of it all is that in the hospital's interpreters are almost never available...and whn u have to sit and watch a deaf person trying to get there point across, many people tht could tlk are not sensitive to there need it hurt:( so i decide to take a course in asl and for the pass four years i been taking tht course...and would u believe tht i am so angry because i am not able to use asl only in the hospital whn i am working to interpret the little tht i learn...i am not where i need to be tht why i am joining these deaf chat room or net work...so there are people like me tht our sincerely trying to reach out to the deaf community to be a part of there life! Because i love to help and because i love it!!

i don't mean to intrude on your culture... i really, genuinely want to learn asl, i just think of asl as a beautiful language. i think the reason some people in the deaf community don't like hearing people is because, yes, most hearing people don't understand. people say things like, "if they can get an operation to hear, why don't they?" well, why would you want to separate yourself from your community???
it frustrates me so badly when people ask me why would i ever want to learn asl! why wouldn't i?!

i don't see this website as an A on an assignment (my school doesn't even offer a coarse). i see it as, hopefully, an opportunity to connect with others and maybe learn more asl.
:lol: And anytime someone gets annoyed enough to make an anti hearing student thread, they feel compelled to jump right in and prove the point of the OP!!

It never fails.

Not every hearing person, but it seems like there is a constant procession of hearing who are all excited about ASL and potential interaction or dating with deaf people.

They didn't just fall into it because of family connections or someone deaf they met at school, but just seek it out because it will fill some need in them.

I really think a lot of them are mentally ill and don't fit into the broader society, so they think a little subculture is where they will find a place.

Given enough time they will fall out of love with it and be disillusioned when they find out whatever problems they have just followed them to their new place.

I disagree that most hearing people that want to hang out with deaf people are mentally ill. I think they may be overly curious about the deaf culture and misinformed about deaf people. Some people think deaf and HOH people are not capable of getting along and that we need to rescue by hearing people. I feel like some hearing people would love to have 'Save a deaf or HOH person shelter, so people could adopt us.

Personally i feel Bottesini and myself (deafgam) have been constantly ridiculed and some things have been misunderstood what we said. For myself im tired of it. There are many of you that are starting to twist things. Decatwoman---are you serious...you take four years of ASL and put yourself out in a legal field to interpret. Specially at a hospital where a Deaf person life depends on your interpretation??? Wait a minute...you just sat yourself up as well as the hospital for a legal law suit if something was to go wrong. And you have the nerve to judge me and say i went a lil overboard. You are not even a registered certified interpreter in your state and you should not be interpreting for any legal issue, health, state, anything like that. So you have no right get on this post and bark your opinion.

I disagree that most hearing people that want to hang out with deaf people are mentally ill. I think they may be overly curious about the deaf culture and misinformed about deaf people. Some people think deaf and HOH people are not capable of getting along and that we need to rescue by hearing people. I feel like some hearing people would love to have 'Save a deaf or HOH person shelter, so people could adopt us.

Ok. It depends on how you define it. I guess from your opinion of the motivations of the hearing hangers on, they are just stupid and lack common sense.

Although if they had a shelter, I would like my adopter to be a gourmet, gourmand, with a New York penthouse! :P

I wish i knew where the LIKE button was. Bahahaha i sure would use it a few times.

I wish i knew where the LIKE button was. Bahahaha i sure would use it a few times.
It's kind of on the right side of your post towards the bottom. Just hover the mouse around there and it will show up. :)

Oh...dont have a computer. Thats why i cant find it. Just my cell. Ok, thanks anyway.

Back