Whats up with these hearing people?

I do have one question Contessa if you dont mind clearing something up. How did you know those two Deaf people were chewing you out for using wrong signs if you cant understand what Deaf sign to you? Did you explain anything to them? I never known Deaf never ever known Deaf to chew out any hearing person like that for using wrong sign. We are so excited see people try communicate with us we are so willing help them. I wish more people want learn sign to get know us and want talk with us. Why chew someone out about their signs when we know they just learning? Must have been different group of Deaf than i grew up with and know in my life time.

Contessa....im not judging you....you are the one volunteering to place yourself in that category. I personally do not include people like you in the group i was even talking about. So why should you? For those two Deaf that treated you like they did, i am disappointed and angry as well. They had no right.. if anything they should be there for you and your son helping you both along each step you both have ahead of you. They were self centered, narrow minded and wrong. So please, dont jump to conclusions and misjudge my quote post. You do not fit into the group i was referring. So dont put yourself in to that group. Okay?

Okay - Having RE-read my post and the previous posts...I will admit to being a bit touchy. This just happened to me this past weekend, and it felt like a slap in the face.

I do have one question Contessa if you dont mind clearing something up. How did you know those two Deaf people were chewing you out for using wrong signs if you cant understand what Deaf sign to you? Did you explain anything to them? I never known Deaf never ever known Deaf to chew out any hearing person like that for using wrong sign. We are so excited see people try communicate with us we are so willing help them. I wish more people want learn sign to get know us and want talk with us. Why chew someone out about their signs when we know they just learning? Must have been different group of Deaf than i grew up with and know in my life time.

Both, of the people in question could speak and had NO problem voicing their displeasure with me. One asked me if I had even bothered signing up for ASL classes or was I expecting the school to raise my son for me. I was so shocked, I think I might of just stood there like a fish with my mouth hanging open. :jaw: I don't even remember what I was TRYING to say.

Both, of the people in question could speak and had NO problem voicing their displeasure with me. One asked me if I had even bothered signing up for ASL classes or was I expecting the school to raise my son for me. I was so shocked, I think I might of just stood there like a fish with my mouth hanging open. :jaw: I don't even remember what I was TRYING to say.

I've been guilty of doing that myself growing up. Shame on me for that. The older I get the more determined that I become to be more patient and compassionate towards the other. It takes extreme effort on both sides to function.

Your son is Deaf. BOTH of you need education. Educate each other. You're off to a good start with your attempts to learn sign language. Don't let a few rotten encounters spoil it for your son or you.

I've come across some sort of not so nice Deaf people as well. I was a level 1 student in high school at a required Deaf social. I was trying to ask someone where they worked and instead must have asked where they had sex. I was ridiculed the whole night by a group of the people that were there. I don't know if they just thought they were being funny, but it is hard enough to get up and sign let alone get made fun of for signing something incorrect.

I completely understand that some Deaf people think poorly of Hearing people who want to learn because we have some other objective, but I purely love the language and I have no other motive. I hope we can all just accept people and all get along! :)

What I meant by "exploit" is just we shouldn't waste frustration on these people.

What I mean is there is too much negative in the world, why should we stop our lives to waste time thinking about the idiots who are acting like they never received any real world knowledge?

That is not the definition of "exploit."

Now I am left wondering what word you were actually seeking.

Not every hearing person, but it seems like there is a constant procession of hearing who are all excited about ASL and potential interaction or dating with deaf people.

They didn't just fall into it because of family connections or someone deaf they met at school, but just seek it out because it will fill some need in them.

I really think a lot of them are mentally ill and don't fit into the broader society, so they think a little subculture is where they will find a place.

Given enough time they will fall out of love with it and be disillusioned when they find out whatever problems they have just followed them to their new place.

You could almost make the same comment about students of Chinese, Japanese or Arabic....sometimes people study a language because they actually like the language....they're not trying to infiltrate and destory. You people make it sound like the Borge trying to seize the Enterprise....

Laura

You could almost make the same comment about students of Chinese, Japanese or Arabic....sometimes people study a language because they actually like the language....they're not trying to infiltrate and destory. You people make it sound like the Borge trying to seize the Enterprise....

Laura

It isn't the same thing at all. Those are languages of a predominant majority of different countries.

well im hearing and ive beeen taking asl for ayear in some change my teacher is 100% deaf and has been since 2 yrs and will teach anyone intreasted he believes if more people leaned to the better we would be and the less barriers we will have and while listening to why he didnt trust hearing or issues that happen in the past i totaly understand having a wall up but while learning i fell in love witth the culture and im not one of thosse people you speak about i learn becausee i want to my job dosnt require it im a bartender so maybe having a issue with most hearing is a bit unfair because im hearing and im truly not thaat way were not all the same just like all deaf are not the same!

It isn't the same thing at all. Those are languages of a predominant majority of different countries.

So is ASL believe it or not, also in the top of the worlds most spoken languages. The difference is most other languages welcome people and are delighted by the interest in their culture. The deaf community is unique in that they exclude people, and in the same breath, wonder why people don't understand them....

Laura

Last comment: :hidingunderchair:

:lol: Why it's just silly and disingenuous.

It's really a fallacious comparison, and as a woman who prides herself on intelligence, I think she knows it, but just has so much contempt for us, she doesn't think we can argue with her.

I have experienced the situation some of you have as well, Like in another thread I went to a Deaf event that I was invited to, I am legally deaf with no aids, took ASL, and like my first night was enjoyable, but after that was treated very disrespectfully, dont know if it was because I am slow with ASL both signing and "reading" it... having to repeat a few times to catch it all, SO, My question with the deaf culture....

You are deaf or became deaf.... you are deaf,
You are HOH, late deaf, deaf without Aids...youre deaf,
SO, naturally you cant hear or not very well or not at all, so why is the deaf culture so rejective to new members, recently late deafened and HOH people? We are all in the same catagory, just different aspects of how we became deaf.
Im not going to be ignorant to someone if they came to me, my group, my club or organization just because they could once hear and any other reasons within means, so why is the deaf culture so ignorant to newbs?
Not saying everyone is but the ones Ive met very much were and it did irk me that they were so rejective to someone reaching out and seeking acceptance to others in a world of hearing loss/deafness Ive known since birth.

Ive recently accepted that I will be completely deaf in about 3 years at my last audiologist visit, took ASL and teaching my 2-1/2yo son as well so we can communicate. My daughter (19yo) already knows ASL somewhat but can fingerspell with amazing speed. Both my children have excellent hearing so its not genetics, think mine is just a defect from my dads line of work (heavy metals...LEAD) being a machinist.

I am struggling through a general malaise and not so happy right now so my understanding of things is kind of through that lens. Seems like people are kind of grouchy lately. Sometimes the whole population gets something like that going on and then it passes. I see now what Bottisini was saying the thread is really about. It must border on that edge of things that chap people. It got me too but I have lot to learn and am so down that down looks like up to me... smiles... It is middle of winter it will soon be much better.

I completely understand this comment 100%, however, just because we "create" groups doesn't mean we have any less interest in going out to meet deaf people.
I think it's better that a student be more comfortable with their signing ability before forcing a conversation with a deaf person.
True that. I want to keep up with ASL for about a year before I start bothering deaf people for a conversation.
It's not much of a conversation if I can't even say a single full sentence.
I'd rather practice and mess up with other ASL students who are having the same or similar problems as me.

I have the same high expectations for students studying Korean or Japanese. I will not talk to people in either language unless they know more than "a couple of words".

Here is a thread on just that subject. The discussion was pretty extensive.

http://www.alldeaf.com/topic-debate...g-creepy-deaf-wannabes-pretenders-others.html

WTF ! Do you mean people make them self deaf by harming their ears ? It that what a deaf wannabes is? And how the Hell do you pretend to be deaf?? I find this very offensive that a person would pretend to be deaf as they most likely will not be able to carry it off and end up looking stupid . If he want to made a fool of theirself do it as a hearing person!

WTF ! Do you mean people make them self deaf by harming their ears ? It that what a deaf wannabes is? And how the Hell do you pretend to be deaf?? I find this very offensive that a person would pretend to be deaf as they most likely will not be able to carry it off and end up looking stupid . If he want to made a fool of theirself do it as a hearing person!

There is a group of them on Yahoo, and some came here to argue when it was being discussed.

I started out thinking it was funny, but by the time I learned more about it, I felt sorry for them.

There is a group of them on Yahoo, and some came here to argue when it was being discussed.

I started out thinking it was funny, but by the time I learned more about it, I felt sorry for them.

It's just soooo weird. :eek3: I don't know, if they really want to stck some sharp object into their head I recommend they go through their eye and give themselves a lobotomy, put themselves out of their misery.

I suppose that's harsh, but damn, wtf is wrong people??

I don't know .. I can't fathom it either. To purposely inflict self-harm means something is not right with their thinking.

I don't know .. I can't fathom it either. To purposely inflict self-harm means something is not right with their thinking.

werd. Not just that, but the whole "I'm a deaf person trapped in a hearing person's body"....insert whatever disablity (yeah I know not everybody thinks of deafness as a disability but you know what I mean) into that sentence. I'm SUPPOSED to be paralyzed.......is just.....no. NO. There is something wrong with your brain....go get some therapy cuz you be crazy.

Back