whats the..

P

pinkster

whats the difference between completely deaf and profoundly deaf? I was reading the "what cause your deafness" thread and I saw someone say they are completlely deaf in one ear and profoundly in the other. I wasnt quite aware there was a difference? :dunno:

Hmm... that's a good question. From my experience, people who are profoundly deaf are capable of hearing extremely loud things such as gunshots. People who are completely deaf cannot be helped with the use of hearing aids while those who are profoundly deaf have little use of hearing aids. Maybe I'm wrong. :dunno:

However, I did a search on Dictionary.com and came up with two definitions. One definition of profound was deep. In that case, that would be extremely but not 100%. Probably at least 90% deaf. However, the next definition was complete. That would mean that profound is the same as complete. In this case, this would be something that you would as your friends or doctors about. Sometimes, people get definitions mixed up and use the wrong words at the wrong time.

deaf and profoundly deaf is the biggest difference.

Deaf, but you can hear a little.

Profoundly deaf, you cant hear.

I think profoundly deaf would mean that you're not completely deaf.

When you are completely deaf, you have 100% hearing loss in both ears. If you have 99% hearing loss in both ears, then you're profoundly deaf! *lach*

I am profound deaf...I cannot hear with any hearing aids..but I can hear with a cochlear implant.

If I was completely deaf...my cochlear implant would be rendered useless.

Most of those completely deaf people are due to damaged hearing nerves. Some are that ear drum/cochlear will never work.

profound deaf can hear a little with or without hearing aids

completely deaf, can't hear at all with or without hearing aids?

I dunno. my opinion?

Originally posted by SilenceGold
I am profound deaf...I cannot hear with any hearing aids..but I can hear with a cochlear implant.

If I was completely deaf...my cochlear implant would be rendered useless.

Most of those completely deaf people are due to damaged hearing nerves. Some are that ear drum/cochlear will never work.

I'm the same...although I could use hearing aids in both ears, I only could hear noises but not always able to identify them unless I saw it happen ( the thing that created the noise).
I use a CI as well - but these days I don't use it often cos it gets in the way at work. I use a body processor which a cord comes from my coil at my ear down my back to waist where the processor's clipped to. The cord's often caught and pulled by clients at work. :( Remember, I work with DeafBlind individuals with intellectual disabilities and have challenging behaviours.

Cheers,
Goldie

Originally posted by WaterRats13
I'm the same...although I could use hearing aids in both ears, I only could hear noises but not always able to identify them unless I saw it happen ( the thing that created the noise).
I use a CI as well - but these days I don't use it often cos it gets in the way at work. I use a body processor which a cord comes from my coil at my ear down my back to waist where the processor's clipped to. The cord's often caught and pulled by clients at work. :( Remember, I work with DeafBlind individuals with intellectual disabilities and have challenging behaviours.

Cheers,
Goldie

That's the exact model of my cochlear implant.

Anyways back to the point of the topic...

Well, I wear two hearing aids and without them I can only hear loud noises such as a dog barking and loud bangs. However, with the hearing aids on, I can hear most normal noises but I can't understand speech which is what defines me as profoundly deaf I suppose. I think it depends on the severity of the hearing loss.

Ziusudra

Over at the Auditory Verbal International site, they claim that 95% of deaf people have residual hearing, even profoundly deaf people. I think it may be a matter of dcb. Do I make any sense?
Some are that ear drum/cochlear will never work.
Huh? I don't have eardrums and I am only HOH! (well borderline deaf/hoh as I have a 65 dcb loss)

The difference between "completely" deaf and "profoundly" deaf is 2 meanings:

Completely deaf refers to that a person lost hearing from 100% (hear) to 0% (deaf).

Profoundly deaf refers to that a person is 100% deaf or a person was born deaf.

Back