What was school like for you?

I went to two preschools and were in classes for deaf kids starting at 3 months old. In the second one, which I remember fondly, I learned to read and do simple math. My parents helped by getting me a library of books, each with words starting with a letter of the alphabet. The second one used a TC approach, but I remember it as just sign. We had FMs on in both schools. I had the kind that were 2 small boxes strapped to the chest and then the single box kind.

I went to two public elementary schools and was in a deaf class. At the first one, I was mostly in the deaf class and went to hearing classes like music, art and gym with interpreters. The deaf class had teachers of the deaf and several interpreters covering K-6. The program moved to the second elementary school starting when I was in 3rd grade. That was when I went to mainstream math class. After that, I mainstreamed in social studies and science too. I just stayed at the deaf class for English, spelling and handwriting. They were giving me 8th grade level stuff to read in 6th grade.

I stopped wearing FM systems in 6th grade because the teacher of the deaf said I paid attention very well to the interpreters. The FMs never helped me. All I could get from them was noise and tones. In hearing music class, they once had us play xylophones. A whole class worth of that on the FM gave me a headache. The recorders they had us buy for the classes also were one of the few things I could identify over the FM.

I also went to summer school in a different hearing place with the same staff for more deaf classes earlier in my elementary school days. There, we didn't mainstream in anything and did fun stuff like go to a swimming pool each week. That was the closest I got to going to a deaf school. I never visited an actual one until I drove to the Austine school in Vermont for a sign language show a few weekends ago.

Very early in my elementary school years, when I was at the first one, I had some oral training where the teacher of the deaf tried to teach me to speak. I spoke a few words like shoe once or twice. That didn't last long because I never picked up speaking. I went to speech classes throughout elementary school that had some oral training like lipreading and basic English lessons. Now I lipread a bit when I have context, but I often can't.

In 7th and 8th grades, I mainstreamed in my home middle school instead of being driven over to a deaf class. I still had speech classes, but they were teaching me things about English like idioms people use. I was the only deaf student in that school and had a really good interpreter who used to be with the elementary school deaf class. I also had a teacher of the deaf visit me once a week.

In 7th grade, I was put into the regular classes and then they saw that I was a good student so they put me into the smarter classes for 8th grade. I still had to take music classes, but it was only for 8 weeks each year because they had several special 8 week classes everybody had to take. They were music, art, 'skills' (home economics), technology and health. When we did stuff in music class that depended on listening to stuff, I'd be excused from class so I could get work done. They put me into a 9th grade math class in 8th grade called Course I. That was New York State's old name for algebra class.

One time, the interpreter was out and they had someone who knew a bit of sign come in. He was someone who worked in my elementary school deaf class for a while. I would often gaze at the interpreter without moving and he thought that it meant I was not paying attention to me. So he told me that I was making him waste his time signing for nothing. That upset me enough to cry for the rest of the class and into the next period, so they moved me to the resource room to let me calm down. They even called my mom, who came in from work to see what was going on. After that, they never hired that guy again. So I often got notetakers when the interpreter was out after that.

I kept the same interpreter in high school and got involved in some activities with the National Honor Society, which is a society that good students get invited into in their junior or senior years. I was on the honor roll all the time, so it was no surprise I got invited in during my junior year. I was in the honors and AP classes. I kept the same teacher of the deaf for two more years, then they changed to a different person.

We were tested in 8th grade to see who could get into the AP English class in high school. It asked us to choose a book we've read and write stuff about it. I failed it, because I wasn't that great back then at writing about books I've read. My 8th grade English teacher encouraged them to let me try out the class and I ended up staying in it for the full four years. In the very last class of the senior year, the teacher we had for our freshman and senior year classes said that I was the student who exceeded her expectations. She was the one who went over the tests to decide who got into the class.

Early in high school, it was somewhat boring for me sometimes because I had only met my classmates recently in my 8th grade classes. That lessened once I got to know some of them from class, activities and by writing during lunch.

There was another deaf student for a short time at high school and we talked during lunch. She soon moved to NYSSD, which I've been warned about by multiple people about its terrible academics. Most of the time, I was the only deaf student in high school.

My interpreter was getting sick so she retired at the end of my junior year, so they had to hire my mom to be my interpreter for my senior year. It didn't feel too strange because my mom was one of the staff at my elementary deaf class when I was in 4th grade. Those weren't the only times I had a family member in school with me. The teacher who taught my Course I class in 8th grade was a first cousin of mine.

In the end, I graduated second in a class of almost 150 people.

The AP tests gave me credit for a few classes at RIT, including Writing & Literature II, so I only had to take W&L I. After 4 years of AP English, that class seemed easy, but not too easy. The book we read was The Intuitionist that uses elevators to represent the uplifting of black people in mid 20th century America. The View at NTID had an article on somebody burning a copy of that book near LBJ. That seemed extreme to me because it wasn't that hard to read and interesting to piece together due to how it was written.

I tried the computer engineering major, found that it wasn't for me, then changed to imaging science. Then I got my BS degree in that around a year ago.

I went to two preschools and were in classes for deaf kids starting at 3 months old. In the second one, which I remember fondly, I learned to read and do simple math. My parents helped by getting me a library of books, each with words starting with a letter of the alphabet. The second one used a TC approach, but I remember it as just sign. We had FMs on in both schools. I had the kind that were 2 small boxes strapped to the chest and then the single box kind.

I went to two public elementary schools and was in a deaf class. At the first one, I was mostly in the deaf class and went to hearing classes like music, art and gym with interpreters. The deaf class had teachers of the deaf and several interpreters covering K-6. The program moved to the second elementary school starting when I was in 3rd grade. That was when I went to mainstream math class. After that, I mainstreamed in social studies and science too. I just stayed at the deaf class for English, spelling and handwriting. They were giving me 8th grade level stuff to read in 6th grade.

I stopped wearing FM systems in 6th grade because the teacher of the deaf said I paid attention very well to the interpreters. The FMs never helped me. All I could get from them was noise and tones. In hearing music class, they once had us play xylophones. A whole class worth of that on the FM gave me a headache. The recorders they had us buy for the classes also were one of the few things I could identify over the FM.

I also went to summer school in a different hearing place with the same staff for more deaf classes earlier in my elementary school days. There, we didn't mainstream in anything and did fun stuff like go to a swimming pool each week. That was the closest I got to going to a deaf school. I never visited an actual one until I drove to the Austine school in Vermont for a sign language show a few weekends ago.

Very early in my elementary school years, when I was at the first one, I had some oral training where the teacher of the deaf tried to teach me to speak. I spoke a few words like shoe once or twice. That didn't last long because I never picked up speaking. I went to speech classes throughout elementary school that had some oral training like lipreading and basic English lessons. Now I lipread a bit when I have context, but I often can't.

In 7th and 8th grades, I mainstreamed in my home middle school instead of being driven over to a deaf class. I still had speech classes, but they were teaching me things about English like idioms people use. I was the only deaf student in that school and had a really good interpreter who used to be with the elementary school deaf class. I also had a teacher of the deaf visit me once a week.

In 7th grade, I was put into the regular classes and then they saw that I was a good student so they put me into the smarter classes for 8th grade. I still had to take music classes, but it was only for 8 weeks each year because they had several special 8 week classes everybody had to take. They were music, art, 'skills' (home economics), technology and health. When we did stuff in music class that depended on listening to stuff, I'd be excused from class so I could get work done. They put me into a 9th grade math class in 8th grade called Course I. That was New York State's old name for algebra class.

One time, the interpreter was out and they had someone who knew a bit of sign come in. He was someone who worked in my elementary school deaf class for a while. I would often gaze at the interpreter without moving and he thought that it meant I was not paying attention to me. So he told me that I was making him waste his time signing for nothing. That upset me enough to cry for the rest of the class and into the next period, so they moved me to the resource room to let me calm down. They even called my mom, who came in from work to see what was going on. After that, they never hired that guy again. So I often got notetakers when the interpreter was out after that.

I kept the same interpreter in high school and got involved in some activities with the National Honor Society, which is a society that good students get invited into in their junior or senior years. I was on the honor roll all the time, so it was no surprise I got invited in during my junior year. I was in the honors and AP classes. I kept the same teacher of the deaf for two more years, then they changed to a different person.

We were tested in 8th grade to see who could get into the AP English class in high school. It asked us to choose a book we've read and write stuff about it. I failed it, because I wasn't that great back then at writing about books I've read. My 8th grade English teacher encouraged them to let me try out the class and I ended up staying in it for the full four years. In the very last class of the senior year, the teacher we had for our freshman and senior year classes said that I was the student who exceeded her expectations. She was the one who went over the tests to decide who got into the class.

Early in high school, it was somewhat boring for me sometimes because I had only met my classmates recently in my 8th grade classes. That lessened once I got to know some of them from class, activities and by writing during lunch.

There was another deaf student for a short time at high school and we talked during lunch. She soon moved to NYSSD, which I've been warned about by multiple people about its terrible academics. Most of the time, I was the only deaf student in high school.

My interpreter was getting sick so she retired at the end of my junior year, so they had to hire my mom to be my interpreter for my senior year. It didn't feel too strange because my mom was one of the staff at my elementary deaf class when I was in 4th grade. Those weren't the only times I had a family member in school with me. The teacher who taught my Course I class in 8th grade was a first cousin of mine.

In the end, I graduated second in a class of almost 150 people.

The AP tests gave me credit for a few classes at RIT, including Writing & Literature II, so I only had to take W&L I. After 4 years of AP English, that class seemed easy, but not too easy. The book we read was The Intuitionist that uses elevators to represent the uplifting of black people in mid 20th century America. The View at NTID had an article on somebody burning a copy of that book near LBJ. That seemed extreme to me because it wasn't that hard to read and interesting to piece together due to how it was written.

I tried the computer engineering major, found that it wasn't for me, then changed to imaging science. Then I got my BS degree in that around a year ago.
I remember using the FM system when I was in the 6th grade. They were testing it to see if it would work well with us. This was new technology, so the teacher had a HUGE microphone on her like a necklace and we had these big boxes on our chests... bigger than those old hearing aids.

There were a few times when we were in mainstream class doing classwork and the teacher left the classroom forgetting that the microphone was still on. So, we could hear the conversation that the teacher was having outside of the classroom. Hehehe!

For me, I'd say my school years were pretty much on the norm except for the name callings, bullying and facing a lot of peer pressures. I've attended a deaf school and graduated from there. The only experience I can say is, I've had the taste of being a solo-mainstream with a hearing school for 2 months. I hated it because it was a bitter experience. I was so accustomed to every accomodations that the deaf school had provided. When I attended the hearing school, it was more like a culture shock to me. Things were thrown out of in reverse.

I remember the first day I arrived there at the hearing school as if it was yesterday. Even though I had an interpreter (only 1) for all classes I took and note takers, it was still not the most pleasant experience I had. I can tell you this much, I was definitely lost in the atmosphere. It was more like I was the "forgotten" one out of everyone else. When I try to make an input or to ask questions, most of the teachers would just brush it aside and move on to the next student just because the teacher didn't want to make an effort to extend their service. Boy, it boils my stomach up. As for socializing, I was usually the one sitting by myself at lunch minding my own business and being distant. Once in a while, I'd sit with the group and when they are laughing at something, I for one don't know what the hell they are laughing at. I had to "pretend" to laugh just so I don't look like I'm the dumb one.

It was repeating it's cycle. At the end, I had enough of it and wanted to go back to the deaf school. Needless to say, It has helped me see what it was really like to experience in a hearing school.

It seems I've been in school shortly from birth, LOL.

Was in Oral program when I was a baby and then went to mainstream kindergarten with no terps... Then went to a Deaf preschool where I learned signs, tho it was Signed English and speech. I think I loved it there, being with deaf peers and such.

Started my education at P-12 deaf school. Enjoyed some of it but have had many miserable years due to bullying. The bullying tapered off when I was in grade 11 and 12. I still attended this school but went to private school, with teachers as terps from school, next door to access their subjects in grade 11 and 12. Communication method was: Auslan and some speech. Basically BiBi, I guess.

I reckon the 11th and 12th grades were probably the best years of my life in high scool. As for elementary, I dunno.

I'm hearing but wheelchair bound,. I had a similiar experience in Sped/Mainstreaming.

School was Hell. I started school at age 4 in Special Ed. There, they thought I was retarded and I was treated as such. It was a joke, really! Didn't learn what I was supposed to. When it became obvious that I wasn't MR, my parents pushed to have me tought with a regular curriculum. That began my years of mainstreaming. I was 8 and in third grade. From then on, school was Hell. I was bullied horribly in elementary school and Jr High School. Things improved when I started high school, but the damage was already done by then.

When it comes to educuating students with special needs, I believe the mentality of "One size fits all!" should be done away with and a more holistic approach should be taken. Children deserve to have their needs met. As a disabled student in the mainstream (and SPED), my needs were NOT met fully! A lot more could have been done for me.

Judging from what I've seen from alot of deafies on the forum, I would say the same. The student's needs should take precedence!

Oceanbreeze,
There, they thought I was retarded and I was treated as such. It was a joke, really! Didn't learn what I was supposed to. When it became obvious that I wasn't MR, my parents pushed to have me tought with a regular curriculum. That began my years of mainstreaming
. Yeah I know.....but on the other hand, a lot of times kids with disabilties get the same sort of attitude in the mainstream. Believe me....I got lumped in with the dumbasses who seem to be legion in special ed.
It's a little easier to do inclusion with kids with mobilty disabillities......they don't generally need special methods of teaching, the way blind low vision and dhh kids do. Like they may have learning disabilites or social delays, but those issues can be met very easily in a typical resource room. Did they have resource rooms back when you were young?
I know that although segregated schooling for mobility disabilites is very rare, nowadays, there are still states with programs for kids with severe mobilty issues. What are your feelings on those types of programs?

Back