What Ticks You Off (Most) About Hearies?

oh, that's terrible, Bott, I am sorry that happened to you! I remember people have laughed at me because of my speech or because I didn't understand something or because I do things differently and I have felt very sad. I can understand why youre grumpy.
:hug:

oh, that's terrible, Bott, I am sorry that happened to you! I remember people have laughed at me because of my speech or because I didn't understand something or because I do things differently and I have felt very sad. I can understand why youre grumpy.
:hug:

Explosively angry would be a better word. But I am trying for self control.

Thanks for your message of sympathy.:aw:

maybe you could write a pissed off letter and burn it up! or write two letters - one big angry, explosive one and then one still mad but more explanatory and also ready to send to employees at the place where you were.:mad:

maybe you could write a pissed off letter and burn it up! or write two letters - one big angry, explosive one and then one still mad but more explanatory and also ready to send to employees at the place where you were.:mad:

Nah, I just told you guys. That's enough. My husband thinks she was only laughing because I am so cute.

If I were writing an angry letter my husband would notice and worry about me. I don't want that.

He tends to worry. He packed up our only snow shovel to take in the car so I can't try to shovel because we got bad news about my heart.

I like him to be carefree if I can manage.

Otherwise it would be a good suggestion. :)

I'm really sorry that happened to you Bott, some people are so ignorant and stupid!

You are cute, Botti, but that's not excuse for someone laughing and pointing at you. It's the height of rudeness. I wouldn't have been able to resist dealing with it on the spot.

I'm really sorry that happened to you Bott, some people are so ignorant and stupid!

You are cute, Botti, but that's not excuse for someone laughing and pointing at you. It's the height of rudeness. I wouldn't have been able to resist dealing with it on the spot.

I thank you guys for your remarks. :)
sallylou, if only with my older daughter , she is good at dealing with that, but my husband is very, very shy, and has trouble, handling trouble.

And I mean myself to deal with it, not them. (Boy I sound confusing.)

sally, I wonder what you would say?
<or should I have pm'd?>

No! THis is the thread where we say what we think! No PM!!

I would write it down to make sure she could understand me.

GOT IT :)

<sometimes I am unsure of etiquette for various forums in general, not very computer-savvy>

Bott, you could snuggle up with Joey and some hot cocoa or do something otherwise self-pampering.....

Bott, you could snuggle up with Joey and some hot cocoa or do something otherwise self-pampering.....

Thats exactly what I am doing, plus talking to you guys and playing games.

When someone does something rude, I like to put the behavior and awkwardness back on the rude person. I would say something like, "You seem to find deafness funny. Why is that?" If there is a real, legitimate reason, the person will tell you and you can clear up any misunderstanding. If there is not a legitimate reason, then whatever reason that the person gives makes her look like a jerk (putting the attention back on the jerk and not the person being bothered by the jerk). You don't have to be aggressive, just ask like you are genuinely curious. Just ask a direct question and patiently wait for a response.

This technique works well with all sorts of inappropriate behavior, like noisy people that ask how much you paid for something, relatives that say snide things, strangers who criticize your child rearing in public, etc.

For noisy questions, remember this simple question: "Why do you ask?" Usually, the rude person stands there with her mouth open not having any idea what to say. That's when I make an move to get away from her.

When someone does something rude, I like to put the behavior and awkwardness back on the rude person. I would say something like, "You seem to find deafness funny. Why is that?" If there is a real, legitimate reason, the person will tell you and you can clear up any misunderstanding. If there is not a legitimate reason, then whatever reason that the person gives makes her look like a jerk (putting the attention back on the jerk and not the person being bothered by the jerk). You don't have to be aggressive, just ask like you are genuinely curious. Just ask a direct question and patiently wait for a response.

This technique works well with all sorts of inappropriate behavior, like noisy people that ask how much you paid for something, relatives that say snide things, strangers who criticize your child rearing in public, etc.

For noisy questions, remember this simple question: "Why do you ask?" Usually, the rude person stands there with her mouth open not having any idea what to say. That's when I make an move to get away from her.

I will remember these tips for future reference. Although that was so weird in the restaurant I can't believe I will ever get that exact scenario again. :ty:

Thanx for all of the insight. Though I do not know what it's like to be deaf I did go out and use just sign language, and had a gentleman raise his voice, it was very eye opening. I've learned so much about myself in this process of learning sign language. And fall short in so many areas. I've learned SO much about Deaf history, too. it's been a great journey.

It's good to know people find annoying I am hearing, most of the things listed I don't do. However, just voicing to hearing people I do, no big secert what we are talkinga about but right kind of rude. I'll take that into consideration in the future.

True I am getting to know a deaf blind man and he speaks fine just you need to sign to him hands touching. He needs an interperter to talk his family in person. Come on if you love your son learn some basic sign language. Not hard.

All these post belong in Rockdrummer's thread, "What I Hate About Deafies."

Maybe he never got around to creating it. :shrug:

Ouch! Even I felt that one..

I am sorry. I did not mean it for people who belong but are coincidentally hearing. But this thread is real agony of Deaf people. People who make a casual encounter with one of us and then want to complain in this thread are in the wrong place.

It is a separate issue. Seriously it was suggested to Rockdrummer once.

I am sorry. I did not mean it for people who belong but are coincidentally hearing. But this thread is real agony of Deaf people. People who make a casual encounter with one of us and then want to complain in this thread are in the wrong place.

It is a separate issue. Seriously it was suggested to Rockdrummer once.

Understood. No harm done.

Back