What Ticks You Off (Most) About Hearies?

With me being late-deafened, you wouldn't think I had an opinion, but I do. What really irritates me is when people assume I can hear because I can still speack very clearly. They also don't believe that I can't hear and will refuse to repeat something or will speak real fast. Kindoflikethiswithnobreaksinbetweenwordsandasfastasyoucango. (Kind of like this with no breaks in between words and as fast as you can go.). That is really irritating.

Too many posts to read the entire thread.

I tell people I am deaf and they keep talking. The (incorrect) assumption is made that all deaf people can lipread.

One time I had some guy shout directly in my ear. He got shoved away. Hearing is a complex sense and just raising the volume does nothing for me.

I hate when as a child the school will give you a hearing test and pass you through, whether you pass the test or not. Nice school policies by hearies.

That deaf people are expected to accompany to meet their needs but refuse to accompany to meet our needs! :roll:

Oh yes I remember those 'hearing tests' at school administered by a teacher's aide with only an Associate's Degree in Elementary Education. Put on the headphones, click the button a few times and done. Oh bless Mrs. Betty's heart....

EEENNCCKKK!!! I think if the schools are going to administer audiograms to the students, they should be administered by an audiologist who has training and experience in the field. If they can put MRI machines on a bus, then they can put a booth on a bus as well!

Oh yes I remember those 'hearing tests' at school administered by a teacher's aide with only an Associate's Degree in Elementary Education. Put on the headphones, click the button a few times and done. Oh bless Mrs. Betty's heart....

EEENNCCKKK!!! I think if the schools are going to administer audiograms to the students, they should be administered by an audiologist who has training and experience in the field. If they can put MRI machines on a bus, then they can put a booth on a bus as well!

You too?

They maxed out my gain and actually put caps on them so I wouldn't turn down the volume... Mom was mad for that incident.

ASL students who come around here when they want help to look smart in class, but otherwise do not participate.

Hello

Hi. I am new to this site. What aggervates me about hearies is that when I was born I had trouble hearing. Some of my family members didnt realize something was wrong until my first grade teacher noticed I wasnt getting instruction from class. The teacher then had my school take me to get my hearing checked. Found out that I had been born with a hearing loss in both ears. I was taken out of my class room and put in a special ed class. There I learned sign language. For a year I was in that class. After that my parents never learned sign language and neither did anyone else in my family. After awhile I lost everything I had learned.

When I got to a college in Florida a friend introduced me to a church called Shiloh Baptist where they had a deaf ministry. I started learning sign again :). I have enjoyed signing a lot. I have a lot of people tell me they want to learn sign language. I am teaching a sign language class now at another church in Alabama. My family still does not sign. I have a best friend who is a sister to me that is learning :D. She has even had to sign to me for the past few weeks because my hearing aid broke and didnt have a back up. She has shown me that someone cares about communicating with me. It upsets me because she isnt blood related but treats me better than my own family.

Also one of the places I work at I have recently discovered through my sister is an unsafe environment. I currently work in a dish room (cant wear my hearing aid because it could damage it) and cant hear people walking up behind me with hot pans or with knives. She looks out for me where most dont even bother. My employer knows I am deaf but yet during my evaluation put down that I dont listen. Also when the other manager wants to talk yells my name or asks a question and instead of looking at me walks off. Like someone else said I wont chase her mouth. But after having my sister point out that this isnt fair or right I am starting to understand that I do deserve to be treated with respect even though I cannot hear it doesnt make me dumb or stupid.

I have also had a teacher in college tell me that I dont listen either. That bothers me a lot. But I wont let it get me down I have a bachlors degree and am going to get my masters sometime soon hopefully. I also have my associates. I have achieved a lot and I am proud of it but I am tired of the deaf being treated like we are by the hearing society. Praise God that my sister and best friend points things out to me. I also have a Strong desire to interact more with other deaf (which I havent done in a VERY long time). I want to associate with more people who understand my struggles.

Also my best friend in Alabama asked me one time can the deaf drive someone else also said that and I snapped back we are deaf not blind. It makes me soooo mad.

Hi. I am new to this site. What aggervates me about hearies is that when I was born I had trouble hearing. Some of my family members didnt realize something was wrong until my first grade teacher noticed I wasnt getting instruction from class. The teacher then had my school take me to get my hearing checked. Found out that I had been born with a hearing loss in both ears. I was taken out of my class room and put in a special ed class. There I learned sign language. For a year I was in that class. After that my parents never learned sign language and neither did anyone else in my family. After awhile I lost everything I had learned.

When I got to a college in Florida a friend introduced me to a church called Shiloh Baptist where they had a deaf ministry. I started learning sign again :). I have enjoyed signing a lot. I have a lot of people tell me they want to learn sign language. I am teaching a sign language class now at another church in Alabama. My family still does not sign. I have a best friend who is a sister to me that is learning :D. She has even had to sign to me for the past few weeks because my hearing aid broke and didnt have a back up. She has shown me that someone cares about communicating with me. It upsets me because she isnt blood related but treats me better than my own family.

Also one of the places I work at I have recently discovered through my sister is an unsafe environment. I currently work in a dish room (cant wear my hearing aid because it could damage it) and cant hear people walking up behind me with hot pans or with knives. She looks out for me where most dont even bother. My employer knows I am deaf but yet during my evaluation put down that I dont listen. Also when the other manager wants to talk yells my name or asks a question and instead of looking at me walks off. Like someone else said I wont chase her mouth. But after having my sister point out that this isnt fair or right I am starting to understand that I do deserve to be treated with respect even though I cannot hear it doesnt make me dumb or stupid.

I have also had a teacher in college tell me that I dont listen either. That bothers me a lot. But I wont let it get me down I have a bachlors degree and am going to get my masters sometime soon hopefully. I also have my associates. I have achieved a lot and I am proud of it but I am tired of the deaf being treated like we are by the hearing society. Praise God that my sister and best friend points things out to me. I also have a Strong desire to interact more with other deaf (which I havent done in a VERY long time). I want to associate with more people who understand my struggles.

Also my best friend in Alabama asked me one time can the deaf drive someone else also said that and I snapped back we are deaf not blind. It makes me soooo mad.

Thanks for sharing, although we usually introduce ourselves before ranting.:wave:

I used to be a bit (pbfffllltt) more tolerant. Now find myself thinking
T temporarily
A able
B bodied
That so many hearing people are TABS. Nothing will ever happen to them, that no one should have any differences, allowances or even a ramp for wheelchairs. Seriously, this is just a tiny rant, but (hufff) I do get sooo frustrated telling people ??? and What?? I have presented each of them with a great sign book. dvd or cd, websites and my p3 number and pager number. They want to call VOICE, leave VOICE mail, and talk with head turned..... grrr. AAAAAhhh, thanks guys!!
(signs angry face)

Back