What Ticks You Off (Most) About Hearies?

I will be honest, you are the first time I knew someone who didn't like that. Most d/hh people I know (myself included) don't care at all if someone says "that sounds like a good idea" or anything similar. In fact pretty much everyone I know says that kind of thing too!

Blind people are the same way..."What looks good for dinner" and "Did you see that news article about..." are not usually considered offensive.

I guess I am just surprised, because nobody I have met before has expressed what you did. I understand your feelings, so I am careful in this post not to use words that will hurt you, but again I am just surprised.

I had a friend that knew Stevie Wonder , they both had a mutual friend . My friend asked Stevie if he had seen their lately and Stevie told my friend I have never seem him! MY friend realize what he just said too late!

Sometimes I wonder if the hearing culture have any brains......

A guy cam eup to me to start chatting and I just signed, " I'm Deaf" and smiled.

He looked at me and continued to talk.

I signed again, "I'm Deaf".

He just stood there and looked at me. And started to talk again

I went ahead and walked away. I figure if they can't get a response from me, why stick around?

The guy most likely did not know any signs. When this happen to me I point to my HA and say I can't hear you ! The person will walk away or talk louder.
Or I will walk away if I am not in the mood to talk!

Lucky, I ain't one of these. I have a normal speaking voice (Australian Accent) also with a deaf tone to go with, but in the overall, my friends and others can eventually understand my speech clearly.

Some people think I have a Spanish accent! A Hispanic man once told I have a beautiful Spanish accent! I did not know what to say! And when I went to Mexico with some people we went a bank and I was talking to my boyfriend ,a woman overheard me talking and came up to me and started talking to in Spanish to me! She just heard my speech and thought I would understand her!

Somehow I missed this post. Thanks for explanation. I had an idea it was something like that but had never heard the name for it.

Yes I realise you were joking...lol

I had a speech teacher and she would put my hand on her throat to feel a sound I could not hear . It did help me to say the sound.

You should start a new thread for "What I don't like about deafies" .
oh yeah, I'm sure that will go over well. :lol: Seriously, that statement about people lumping everyone into one group applies to everyone, not just deafies. I don't think its fair for anyone to stereotype.

Hm, I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates the word "nevermind". :lol: Though I am guilty of saying it back to hearing people.

when hearies walk w their back to me talking. i know their talking because thier heads bobbing. arrrggg.

when they appoligize for me being deaf(oh im sorry. thats to bad)

when they say something and i miss it, then they say stupidly... did u hear me? eh hello im deaf.... no i didnt hear u goober!

hearies hanging up on me when i use iprelay. they hear operator and hang up. they think its a telemarketer or something i guess.

Had a similiar incident yesterday

My hubby told me about what his boss said that pissed him off. He asked for two days off next week so he can take my daughter to her new school and go to a parent-teacher conference for our son since next week is my first week back at work as a teacher and I cant take off due to having no "vacation" time. His boss asked him why he needed two days off so he told her and she was like "That's sad that your wife cant do those things because she is deaf." My hubby was like , "huh?What do u mean?" She said that because I am deaf, I cant function in the real world and have to stay at home. My hubby was like "Hellloooo...my wife is a teacher and she returns to work that same week." His boss was like "What? She is a teacher? She is deaf!" My hubby just shook his head at her and walked away. When he told me that, I was thinking "nothing new under the sun." LOL

what an ignorant! glad your husband told his boss!

For me

What pisses me off are these:

We can't be in the military. :pissed:

I would love to serve my country in some form. We are not weak links.

The words "Pay Attention" or "Nevermind"

Some of us are not "Super Duper Awesome Lip readers" :roll:

I had hearing up until the year 2000 before I lost my CI and before CI I was equipped with HA's in both ears.

I had no trouble hearing and understanding what people were saying. Now I do and have had trouble for the past 10 years.

So when someone tells me to pay attention after I say "What, I didn't catch that."

I get mad. :pissed:

I have one person that I know say that to me a lot and he still has not realized that I am not the only Deaf person in the entire world that has this problem. :shock:

And yes some of us do have cell phones.

I cannot tell you how many times I get this. "Your Deaf and you have a phone, how can you use it since you can't hear?"

"Duh just like everyone else!" I say. "With unlimited Text!" :giggle:

Yeah, one time I saw a guy say "what does a deaf kid need an iPod for?" Ummm...duh, if you go to Gallaudet, everyone has them!!

For me

What pisses me off are these:

We can't be in the military. :pissed:

I would love to serve my country in some form. We are not weak links.

Damn straight. :|

The words "Pay Attention" or "Nevermind"

Some of us are not "Super Duper Awesome Lip readers" :roll:

... Need I say more? I get this from my girlfriend! My roommates! For c...ahhh, well... it's a major issue.

So when someone tells me to pay attention after I say "What, I didn't catch that."

I get mad. :pissed:

I have one person that I know say that to me a lot and he still has not realized that I am not the only Deaf person in the entire world that has this problem. :shock:

^- Likewise with my girlfriend and roomies. They've even stated I probably won't get my license in Houston Texas, due to my hearing! This pisses me off, more than anything else.

And what hurts the most? My girlfriend stating, "If you ever do get a driver's license, I will never, EVER get in a car with you while you drive."

... It really does. I know it's been a while since I've gotten in a car, and actually driven. But I know there's driver education classes all over the US... and to hear that... well... it hurts.

I didn't say that it did... because I didn't really see a reason to mention that it did.

Now, I know what ticks me off about them...their view on deafness from a medical model point of view. That is what fucks up many deaf people.

Now, I know what ticks me off about them...their view on deafness from a medical model point of view. That is what fucks up many deaf people.

Oh you did open my eyes that i didnt realize that before. no wonder deaf people who are like what you just described makes me uneasy in the past.

When I explain to people that I'm HoH and that they should face towards me when talking, not cover their mouth and NOT talk while walking away, then they do it anyway. People who tell me off for interrupting when I'm trying to say 'Please stop and rewind, I missed that', or I don't get a chance to say that, then I end up knowing the end of some story but not the beginning.

When people talk while walking off, and they're giving me some instruction, like at work, then I have to chase after them and say 'I didn't hear the end of that, what were you saying?'

When they say 'Oh, you can't tell!' with great surprise like they expect me to be thanking them for saying that! And 'you sound normal'...erm...thanks, I think! Especially when they're talking to me in a quiet room- I'm fine then, but not in other situations.

When I ask what was said and have to ask several times for a repeat, they look annoyed and say 'Nevermind'. When I get told 'I wasn't talking to you'...well, I'll just sit here and not know what's going on until someone speaks to me, SHALL I?? And people say I'm too shy and need to involve myself more in conversations...I am quite shy but very much a chatterbox.

My ex-boss who said things like 'Turn your hearing aids up'/Are you wearing your hearing aids/Pay attention (though the last one was mostly cos I get distracted easily but sometimes I AM paying attention and still can't hear.

People who talk very fast after I've said I'm Hoh. People who then talk rrreeeealllllyyy slooowwwlllllyyy and enunccciiiiiattte like they're trying to give oral sex to thin air... I had some assistants at school in the special needs unit who insisted on eye contact and touching me EVERY time they spoke to me- some students needed it, but I didn't and found it invasive.

People who yell or talk really loudly, then when I say it hurts my ears they said 'I thought you were deaf/can't hear'. Same with people who don't understand why sudden loud noises physically hurt my ears (like car alarms) or make me jump.

A stupid ex who I went on a few dates with; I walked past him on campus and didn't see him or hear him say Hi, he then spoke to me online saying 'Why didn't you speak to me?'- I said I didn't hear you, and he called me 'Deafo'. He's a sarcastic witty sort of person but that hurt.

Subtitles which don't match what I can hear irritate me; vague English ones which say something like 'They talk'--well, duh! English for the HoH are much better...watching a film without subtitles is a nightmare; sometimes I miss things even if it's turned up loud, then I have to ask the other people watching, and they get annoyed because I'm making them miss what's going on...

An assistant (hearing) in the unit who was on a diet and insisted on crunching some sort of diet rice cracker snack and rustling the wrapper during an ENTIRE 2 hour exam in a quiet room- it wasn't bloody quiet anymore! Quiet, repetitive sounds irritate me no end...

When my french teacher tried to illustrate the point that some words can be mistaken by someone Hoh (me as I got the language tapes read out to me, by her, and the rest of the class wanted to know why I got 'special treatment') by making me wear headphones and her saying words then asking me to guess what they were. Then being surprised and complimenting me when I got most of them right. It was humiliating.

I had one woman ask me 'Can deaf people drive?'. Then she went on blah blah about deaf people shouldn't be driving at all cos it is too dangerous and we may cause an accident. I told her excuse me madam I start driving when I was 10 yrs old on my parents farm. She got that OMG look on her face. I told her that we don't need ears for driving. We are visible and aware of what going on around us whilst driving.

haha, yeah.. I don't ever use my ears either. if deaf people should hear while driving, then maybe they should ban loud radio from cars.

hearing people are visual driver too. Especially when they are listening to musics, or talking to someone, or kids are crying.

When emergency vechicle come, I can see all other cars pulling away, so that sometimes give me a clue. But mostly, I just check my rear view mirror often and usually see them coming. AFterall, that's how people find out they are being pulling over by a cop without a single sound from a siren.

Deaf people also get a special license plate that let Emergency vechicle know they are deaf anyway.

Damn straight. :|

... Need I say more? I get this from my girlfriend! My roommates! For c...ahhh, well... it's a major issue.

^- Likewise with my girlfriend and roomies. They've even stated I probably won't get my license in Houston Texas, due to my hearing! This pisses me off, more than anything else.

And what hurts the most? My girlfriend stating, "If you ever do get a driver's license, I will never, EVER get in a car with you while you drive."

... It really does. I know it's been a while since I've gotten in a car, and actually driven. But I know there's driver education classes all over the US... and to hear that... well... it hurts.

I didn't say that it did... because I didn't really see a reason to mention that it did.

you just made me appreciate my husband alot. He is hearing and want me to drive him everywhere but sometimes I prefer if he drive. He get somewhat mad if I want him to drive me everywhere. He expect me to drive for myself.

ok guys and gals just been, a butcher at your comment, and i totaly understand where you folks are coming from. Im a HOH and wear 2 HA , which i find uncomfertable. But my point is because deafness is a hidden problem most hearies can not or will not understand it , so the answer is not to get mad just get even. Ive had plenty of experince with folks who will not or can not understand how hard it is

Back