What Ticks You Off (Most) About Hearies?

I think people make a lotta condescending assumptions! I myself have come across people with the tired thinking of Deaf can't drive, or say, oh it must be so hard to do it.... and I said to other person, I know d/Deaf folks and they drive, not this big deal, why do you say that?
Imagine someone who thinks this, finding out about d/Deaf pilots association :giggle:. I was looking on the Internet for other stuff and came across this and investigated for my husband because he is very interested in learning to fly <actually I would like to, also> and he flies RC <radio control>.

As far as I know, there is only one instrument rated deaf pilot. And deaf pilots are not allowed to fly into airports with control towers because of the need for radio contact.

So it is still pretty restricted for deaf pilots.

I have read through many of these posts and some of you guys seem to lump all of us hearing population into one pile. I do see others that choose their words a bit more carefully and say that "some hearing people" which is in my opinion more appropriate. You don't want to send the wrong impression to us hearing people that visit these threads.

Peace!!

I have read through many of these posts and some of you guys seem to lump all of us hearing population into one pile. I do see others that choose their words a bit more carefully and say that "some hearing people" which is in my opinion more appropriate. You don't want to send the wrong impression to us hearing people that visit these threads.

Peace!!

You should start a new thread for "What I don't like about deafies" .

You should start a new thread for "What I don't like about deafies" .

:giggle: let's see if he would have guts about it.

by the way, rockdrummer, yea it should be mentioned "some hearing" not all hearing.. of course we know that but that's how we feel like hissing. ha

Botti...........:ty: for info.,
:hmm:

You are welcome, although I am sure it is kind of disheartening. I think in practice, it means if you get licensed, you can fly around to little country airports where there are no towers.

well, on the one hand is disheartening...but I am not easily pessimistic. My husband has looked into flying <full-scale> briefly here and there and his vision as well as hearing present some challenges....as do my LD and now my hearing loss. We would see how we could work around that. But we will see for the future....financial issues are more pressing at moment <husband still no job and one of my dogs was very ill in the last couple of weeks>.

on a fun note - have you ever been in ultralight? Hubby and I did that a few years back and it was AWESOME.

okay, I went Off Topic a bit up there....

.....my boss saying I need to "listen better".

okay, I went Off Topic a bit up there....

.....my boss saying I need to "listen better".

It's ok. You are pretty entertaining sometimes.

And I would never get in an ultralight. Not even if a Nigerian scammer offered me $1000000!!

Back on topic.

It irks my when new hearies think we poor deafies need them to protect us from scammers. I think they believe if we are deaf we are also stupid.

I agree with this one I have problem too

AllDeaf.com - View Single Post - What Ticks You Off (Most) About Hearies?

It really make me mad when they do this

being left out in hearing group conversation like I ask whats you guys talking about? They're like oh it's nothing or I'll tell you later.

My Dad do all times.

That's why i stopped that behavior and became aggressive with them. I make them repeat themselves until I can understand them even if it pisses them off. Damn if I do, damn if I dont...might as well do it.

True. There are always a few that is trying to be understanding and try their best to accommadate us. I think sometimes we get so mad at those that don't that we tend to include everybody and that is little unfair to those that do try.

Thanks so much for remembering this. Some of us hearies are really trying. I'm still new to the whole Deaf culture and am enjoying this thread immensly! And learning a lot! Please just be patient with us. :aw:

God Bless!

Aww, Huts, you are not the normal Hearie. hahahaha

No, its just that some folks think we are dumb, still use that old deaf and dumb line, insult our intelligence, our rights, etc. You know? Think we need sitters, should stay home. It is great to steam a little where others get it.

Their lack of respect for our culture.

The deaf and HOH person did not have any culture in the 40's and and 50's.
I guess this is way I have a hard time understanding a deaf culture. I only knew one of other girl in my school that was HOH and we did not hang out together. So I never had a friend that was deaf or HOH. When I went to collage the hearing students wanted nothing to do with me and the deaf students did not want me around as I did not sign! So I feel ticks off by the deaf and hearies! But I do not friends that hear , there are people that do not mind my speech and or that I am HOH.

I guess this is way I have a hard time understanding a deaf culture. I only knew one of other girl in my school that was HOH and we did not hang out together. So I never had a friend that was deaf or HOH. When I went to collage the hearing students wanted nothing to do with me and the deaf students did not want me around as I did not sign! So I feel ticks off by the deaf and hearies! But I do not friends that hear , there are people that do not mind my speech and or that I am HOH.

Deaf culture has been around for over a century...going back to the days of Gallaudet or even further back.

Or they start asking stupid questions - for a 4 year they would be fine, but for an adult I just have to drop my jaw.

For example: I know your'e deaf, but can you really hear anything?

Are you allowed to drive?

Can you live alone?

You cant be deaf because you listen to music!

There's always a new one. But oddly enough - I just let my deafness be a part of me and no one was bothered by it, or at least I think. I didnt receive any direct comments on my deafness. But I did do some signs in response to a youtube video that would have not gone over well verbally and the lady turns around and says 'Do you know sign?'

Yes.

Well I know some like 'Thankyou' (signs sorry instead). I kindly corrected her and then she turned red and changed the conversation.

I would say I know you're dumb , were you born that way! If not when did you become dumb!

That is wrong. My grandparents generation very definitely had a specific Deaf culture.

And when I was a kid the town I lived in had a predominately deaf neighborhood. It was close to the airport, and houses went cheap because of noise, making it a great opportunity for deaf to get decent housing.

Just because you came from a hearing family does not mean deaf culture did not exist.

Exactly, i'm more scared of the hearies driving then the deaf. You never see a deafie do that stuff.

LOL! Verizon Handicap office it always trying to get me to buy a cell phone! They know I am HOH ! I will not use a cell phone while driving I would trying to hear what the person it saying and would not pay attention the road!
I am very concerned about people on the phone while making a turn into the lane next to me!

That is wrong. My grandparents generation very definitely had a specific Deaf culture.

And when I was a kid the town I lived in had a predominately deaf neighborhood. It was close to the airport, and houses went cheap because of noise, making it a great opportunity for deaf to get decent housing.

Just because you came from a hearing family does not mean deaf culture did not exist.

Were I grew up we did not have a deaf culture in our town or schools . We had the reject culture! All the students that were doing poorly in JR. High school for what ever reason were put in one class room! and we were called rejects by the teachters and other students! I was the only student in my class to finish high school! All the other kids dropped out of school! Being called a reject made you feel bad about yourself and that is was waste of time going to school. But for some reason I did not give up and was 20
years old when I finish high school! I still feel like a failer for being that old in high school!

Back