What Ticks You Off (Most) About Hearies?

I get fed up of people on my work placements who expect me to answer the phone. One guy told me the phone was ringing and I should pick it up and find out who was calling. I'd already told him several times that I can't hear on the phone, but he either has a very short memory or doesn't care. So I just picked it up and passed it straight to him saying 'I can't hear this'.

Afterwards he started going on to everyone in the office about how Alexander Graham Bell invented the phone when he was trying to invent a hearing aid for his wife. I felt embarrassed because I didn't know whether he was having a go at me or not.

what ticks me of most about hearing people is their arrogance

I think its their ignorance rather than their arrogance. If they become arrogant after being enlightened, well, then, that's a whole different story, lol.

That's true, Tousi, but it's not my responsibility to educate hearing people. If I went around doing that all of the time, I'd be so exhausted that I couldn't save energy for trying to listen. I try to educate people who seem truly interested and listen. :D

I hate when hearing people don't listen to what deaf people say about being deaf. Some people act like they know more about being deaf than a deaf person does, including some people on this forum. :crazy:

That's true, Tousi, but it's not my responsibility to educate hearing people. If I went around doing that all of the time, I'd be so exhausted that I couldn't save energy for trying to listen. I try to educate people who seem truly interested and listen. :D

I hate when hearing people don't listen to what deaf people say about being deaf. Some people act like they know more about being deaf than a deaf person does, including some people on this forum. :crazy:

I think that's the worst thing anyone can do. it is one thing to be ignorance but another to be egostical about something they have never personally experienced.

Shel, it invalidates my experiences and feelings as a deaf person. That's the problem. If someone is willing to listen and try to understand, then I'm happy to meet someone half way. We don't have to experience something to be empathetic with each other.

Shel, it invalidates my experiences and feelings as a deaf person. That's the problem. If someone is willing to listen and try to understand, then I'm happy to meet someone half way. We don't have to experience something to be empathetic with each other.

Same here..I have met many people who have been willing to listen and understand but I also have met many others who have told me that I dont know anything because I am deaf. I get mean with those people.

That's what we politely call "lacking social skills" at my house. You are not required to be nice to people who have no social skills.

I remember meeting someone several years ago and about five minutes after I told him I was deaf, he pipes up with "Have you tried hearing aids?" as if it were a great moment of enlightenment that would save the world.

Like I really needed the advice of someone who, in all likelihood, had never met or seen another deaf person in their entire life up to that point? Not so much. :roll:

It's good to know people find annoying I am hearing, most of the things listed I don't do. However, just voicing to hearing people I do, no big secert what we are talkinga about but right kind of rude. I'll take that into consideration in the future.

true

Hi. I am new to this site. What aggervates me about hearies is that when I was born I had trouble hearing. Some of my family members didnt realize something was wrong until my first grade teacher noticed I wasnt getting instruction from class. The teacher then had my school take me to get my hearing checked. Found out that I had been born with a hearing loss in both ears. I was taken out of my class room and put in a special ed class. There I learned sign language. For a year I was in that class. After that my parents never learned sign language and neither did anyone else in my family. After awhile I lost everything I had learned.

When I got to a college in Florida a friend introduced me to a church called Shiloh Baptist where they had a deaf ministry. I started learning sign again :). I have enjoyed signing a lot. I have a lot of people tell me they want to learn sign language. I am teaching a sign language class now at another church in Alabama. My family still does not sign. I have a best friend who is a sister to me that is learning :D. She has even had to sign to me for the past few weeks because my hearing aid broke and didnt have a back up. She has shown me that someone cares about communicating with me. It upsets me because she isnt blood related but treats me better than my own family.

Also one of the places I work at I have recently discovered through my sister is an unsafe environment. I currently work in a dish room (cant wear my hearing aid because it could damage it) and cant hear people walking up behind me with hot pans or with knives. She looks out for me where most dont even bother. My employer knows I am deaf but yet during my evaluation put down that I dont listen. Also when the other manager wants to talk yells my name or asks a question and instead of looking at me walks off. Like someone else said I wont chase her mouth. But after having my sister point out that this isnt fair or right I am starting to understand that I do deserve to be treated with respect even though I cannot hear it doesnt make me dumb or stupid.

I have also had a teacher in college tell me that I dont listen either. That bothers me a lot. But I wont let it get me down I have a bachlors degree and am going to get my masters sometime soon hopefully. I also have my associates. I have achieved a lot and I am proud of it but I am tired of the deaf being treated like we are by the hearing society. Praise God that my sister and best friend points things out to me. I also have a Strong desire to interact more with other deaf (which I havent done in a VERY long time). I want to associate with more people who understand my struggles.

Also my best friend in Alabama asked me one time can the deaf drive someone else also said that and I snapped back we are deaf not blind. It makes me soooo mad.

True I am getting to know a deaf blind man and he speaks fine just you need to sign to him hands touching. He needs an interperter to talk his family in person. Come on if you love your son learn some basic sign language. Not hard.

With me being late-deafened, you wouldn't think I had an opinion, but I do. What really irritates me is when people assume I can hear because I can still speack very clearly. They also don't believe that I can't hear and will refuse to repeat something or will speak real fast. Kindoflikethiswithnobreaksinbetweenwordsandasfastasyoucango. (Kind of like this with no breaks in between words and as fast as you can go.). That is really irritating.

I am in the same boat as you. too often when I speak, they go from considerate talking to fast and low voice .:mad: makes you feel like :slap:

oooh - Kristina, you been living my life, too, huh? That is something we can all share.

Seriously, I rarely talk to folks when I go out. In my personal experience, if no talk, no problem, somehow they dont expect me to hear if I dont talk. Weird, huh?
I dont expect the world to change "just for me", but a wee bit of respect is nice.

The instant round eyes, fish mouth, odd gesturing thing suddenly makes them an expert on communications with deaf people. I said huh? I didnt ask for a mime.... oh well, free intertainment. sigh. I give scores for at least trying.... depending on how "trying" they are. At least they are either trying or trying my one last nerve. ha.

Anecdote - While at a local pizzaria with a friend, my treat, we were ready to check out. I kept asking a cashier things like pardon?, or could you repeat that? Oooh, she was ticked off at me. Finally, I reached up and yanked my hearing aids out and showed them to her in my palm. My girlfriend (hoh btw) pointed at them and I saw my friend carefully saying - shes deaf! The cashier was instantly nicer, I replaced my hearing aids, smiled and paid the tab. Then the cashier thanked my friend, and attempted to talk about me as if I wasnt there. My friend and I gave each other a what the..... look, and huffed out. Geeeeee

I spoke with AAPD - American Association of People with Disabilities. High percent in the statistically they do not hire Deaf Federal Employee promoting the jobs due to communication barrier.

My beloved husband, Andy graduated with Bachelor degree

Education: THE ART INSTITUTE OF PITTSBURGH, Pittsburgh, PA

Bachelor in Specialized Technology Degree
(March 1999)
Majored in Graphic Design
National Honor Society, 1998-1999
Honors List/Dean's List 3.7/Perfect Attendances
5/8
Course Work included: Art Director, Graphic
Design, 3-D Design

HONORS: Andy was in the VALEDICTORIAN at the graduation with 3,500 people in the audience, March 1999

The Art Institute of Pittsburgh
Congeniality Award: Senior Year: Newton North High School
Massachusetts

He applied graphic design jobs over 55 application forms. He had only one
interview. Then he end up stuck to work with Deaf people Human Services for years.

It is really ashamed in this society, they just IGNORE Deaf people's barrier
successful careers. Why can't we be like other Hearing People for years and
years.

They do not want to deal with Federal Employees Deaf people's communication. I am very disappointed in this base for years. I promote twice with human services as Case Manager then Assistant Manager for the program house. I am very impressed that the human service agency, the hearing people know a little sign language and more interact with Deaf staff and taught us with paperwork and provider many training. I am very disappointed in this division due to no communication, training or interact with me for years and years. They treat me like second class citizens.

I am more happier to work with Human Service agency than Federal Government job.

Thanx for all of the insight. Though I do not know what it's like to be deaf I did go out and use just sign language, and had a gentleman raise his voice, it was very eye opening. I've learned so much about myself in this process of learning sign language. And fall short in so many areas. I've learned SO much about Deaf history, too. it's been a great journey.

Thanx for all of the insight. Though I do not know what it's like to be deaf I did go out and use just sign language, and had a gentleman raise his voice, it was very eye opening. I've learned so much about myself in this process of learning sign language. And fall short in so many areas. I've learned SO much about Deaf history, too. it's been a great journey.

Bolded= He yelled at you?/?

Today's Incident

Today in the snowstorm, we had to go to the mall, as we have a family birthday this week.

While there we stopped at a restaurant we have rarely eaten in.

When the waitress came for drink orders, I said "Diet Pepsi", and she laughed at me! Wow.

So I signed the rest of my order to my husband and let him tell her what I wanted, and she not only laughed, she pointed!!!!!!!!!!:shock:

Maybe she never saw a deaf person before, but it was weird. We tipped as my husband always wants to represent positively.

I wanted to leave her a note saying "the next deaf person you laugh at may not tip you." But I deferred to my husband's desire not to draw attention.

That's all for now, dear correspondents. (if you notice Bottesini being grumpy today, refer back here.) :wave:

Back