What Ticks You Off (Most) About Hearies?

Botti, I don't blame you for letting the weird waitress slide. You were trying to enjoy a nice meal. Who needs more drama? It was soooo weird!

Today in the snowstorm, we had to go to the mall, as we have a family birthday this week.

While there we stopped at a restaurant we have rarely eaten in.

When the waitress came for drink orders, I said "Diet Pepsi", and she laughed at me! Wow.

So I signed the rest of my order to my husband and let him tell her what I wanted, and she not only laughed, she pointed!!!!!!!!!!:shock:

Maybe she never saw a deaf person before, but it was weird. We tipped as my husband always wants to represent positively.

I wanted to leave her a note saying "the next deaf person you laugh at may not tip you." But I deferred to my husband's desire not to draw attention.

That's all for now, dear correspondents. (if you notice Bottesini being grumpy today, refer back here.) :wave:

That's terrible.

That's terrible.

But I am somewhat recovered, and my daughter came over and ordered Pizza Hut, so I am cheered up.

I have to say that is the weirdest thing that ever happened to me..

It's like what you expect a teenager who is not working as your waitress to do.

Only even mean teenagers are usually less blatant!

But I am somewhat recovered, and my daughter came over and ordered Pizza Hut, so I am cheered up.

I have to say that is the weirdest thing that ever happened to me..

It's like what you expect a teenager who is not working as your waitress to do.

Only even mean teenagers are usually less blatant!

Was the waitress a teenager?

I agree! Nothing like that ever happened to me before. Hopefully never again.

Next time laugh at her and not reply to her for the rest of the evening. That sure will throw her off! :lol:

Next time laugh at her and not reply to her for the rest of the evening. That sure will throw her off! :lol:

I think I must have looked outraged. I will try laughing. But I don't think I will go there again.

I can't believe anyone will ever do it again.

My daughter I just asked what it sounds like if I say "Diet Pepsi". She says "Die-pe-sh-i" If you read phonetics it looks like not what is the real name.

I may write it down from now on. But she must have been high, crazy, or just in from the country and never saw a deaf person before.

Bottesini I am sorry about this jerk of a waitress, but having been a waitress when I was 23 I can tell you the one way to hurt her without saying a word. Her tip, now I don't mean don't give her one, but I would say give her like, a dollar, enough to know you didn't forget, but enough to let her know she screwed up. Trust me she will remember the next time.

From my side though I had the luxury today of being told by my little girl's dad that my being hoh is hurting her development and maybe I should let her live with someone who could teach her right. If he weren't in Maryland and I was here, you wouldn't see this post I would be in jail for kicking his ass.

I don't care who you are just because you hear it does not make you right, I know. Look I heard much better as a youngster and it wasn't til my late 20's that it started getting so hard for me to understand the world around me. I was stupid in those years and look back and I go, would that I could go back. I can't and there are times I cry myself to sleep from the enormity of the job I have to do now to compete in a world I don't understand and deal with the hoh part of me that is newly accepting of it.

To all that have come before me, and I say this whole heartedly, you have my respect.

I can tell you the one way to hurt her without saying a word. Her tip, now I don't mean don't give her one, but I would say give her like, a dollar, enough to know you didn't forget, but enough to let her know she screwed up. Trust me she will remember the next time.

I know my father was known to only leave a penny as a tip for a bad waitress. That really gives them cause to wonder. :shock:

I know my father was known to only leave a penny as a tip for a bad waitress. That really gives them cause to wonder. :shock:

OHHHHHH...I will remember that one although I rarely recieved bad service let alone get mocked by a waitress.

Bottesini I am sorry about this jerk of a waitress, but having been a waitress when I was 23 I can tell you the one way to hurt her without saying a word. Her tip, now I don't mean don't give her one, but I would say give her like, a dollar, enough to know you didn't forget, but enough to let her know she screwed up. Trust me she will remember the next time.

From my side though I had the luxury today of being told by my little girl's dad that my being hoh is hurting her development and maybe I should let her live with someone who could teach her right. If he weren't in Maryland and I was here, you wouldn't see this post I would be in jail for kicking his ass.

I don't care who you are just because you hear it does not make you right, I know. Look I heard much better as a youngster and it wasn't til my late 20's that it started getting so hard for me to understand the world around me. I was stupid in those years and look back and I go, would that I could go back. I can't and there are times I cry myself to sleep from the enormity of the job I have to do now to compete in a world I don't understand and deal with the hoh part of me that is newly accepting of it.

To all that have come before me, and I say this whole heartedly, you have my respect.

Thanks, and the tip would work, but I am deaf and my husband hoh and deaf people are unfortunately thought to be bad tippers.
My husband insist s, no matter what, to leave the correct tip.

What i dislike about 'hearies' is the way they blank you (when they know you are deaf) they don't make the effort of turning to face you so that you can lip read them. The way they can chat to another 'normal person' forget about you and leave you standing there left out, and you just can't follow what they say...

Botti, you have my support and understanding. You and your dear husband are so nice to have treated her with the respect she so obviously did not deserve. (yah everyone should be treated respectfully, I know)
Reference was made to her age, etc. There is no age barrier for stupidity or rudeness. What a horror of a person. How miserable her life must be to feel the need to treat others so meanly. Your husband is kind to have left this wretch with a tip. I agree that he is a wonderful gentleman. I know you dont like hugs, so here is a gentle gesture of comraderie for you..( Two friends sitting near one another on a warm evening, not speaking or really moving, just watching the beautiful, peaceful sunset)

:topic: Hey Botti- did he make it home okay last night?

Yes my older daughter bought a shovel and worked all night, lucky her classes were cancelled today.

He made it home and said how terrible the roads were but he at least could just pull in the drive.

My daughter waited with me until he arrived before she went home,

I slept until almost 11 today because of all my stress yesterday.

Back