What Job or Career are you in?

Island Gal,

One more thing. I am GLAD that yours is run by Deaf! Completely and happy!
Glad to see that you are happy :D

Pssst I can see that my username and Islandbreeze's are confusing some people :giggle:

My job is ahemm, being BBNT's dominatrix.

By the way, where is BBNT? :naughty:

Very nice! When did you graduate from ASU?

Thanks. It pays off after a lot of studying and hard work.

I graduated in '98. I miss Mill Ave! I was just in Phx 2 weeks ago and I visited Mill Ave for old times' sake.

Glad to see that you are happy :D

Pssst I can see that my username and Islandbreeze's are confusing some people :giggle:

LOL yes, at first I went back to check and be sure which "Island" I posted to, but by the time I realized, it was too late to find the edit button.

Sorry about that! :)

I have two co-workers at work that have been bugging me to join their Quixtar program. I said give me some info and they couldnt tell me how it works - I said fine give me some pamphlets - they did. It was nicely worded to sound legit but out of 20 pages of words, sentences, and paragraphs, it is all clearly a scam. I told them it's a scam and to quit bothering me with it and to get out of it themselves.

It's a get-rich-quick bullshitter program. Yes they do 'partner' with big box stores such as Cabellas and Bass Pro Shops and Circuit City but what they don't say is this - - the items being sold from these partner stores are discontinued items. Woopie doo. Most consumers want to buy something that is on the shelves NOW at reduced cost. Not discontinued items.

With this program you have to attend meetings that are often out of town - you have to go to conventions that are out of state and it has like 10-15 levels of income. And you have to keep recruiting if you want to keep earning income and to move up a level. And not only that you have to buy products to earn income - this is so crooked in every way possible. This is a sleazy way of doing buisness in my opinion. Makes me feel like a crooked used car salesman just thinking about it.

My co-workers still have not realized this scam yet and are going to miss 2 days of work in order to attend a convention in Kentucky. These are hourly employees and they are always saying how 'broke' they are. Pffft.

TJDeaf

I'm glad you appreciate the fact MelaBuddies is run by the deaf. I can see where you are coming from about "Mela Trainers". Guess what, my "Mela Trainer" would NOT be in anything MLM, and nor would she bother me with anything like that. Yet she got into it, and so did I. After doing our own homework.

We order products because we want to. We can stop anytime we want to but I do not want to. I love the products I order. Yay!

Besides, I don't think the Mods like hearing anything like this anymore so back to the "What Job or Career are you in?"

Me? SAHM, Business owner (x2):)

Dixie, that is sad for them. Glad you saw right through it and told them where to go.

Ten+ level programs can bring some amazing money but if you are already waaaaaay at the bottom levels, (like 95% of those who enter) it would take almost forever to move up even a little bit.

If you do searches for Pyramid/Ponzi/Matrix schemes online (and library) and read the mathematical equations and formulas for the bottom rungs of matrix ladders, it's amazingly disastrous. Would make your eyes pop out. :eek:

The 5% of people who got in on the beginnings of the Ponzis and are now on top levels laugh their way to the bank; while the rest of the 95% on the bottom struggle and frustratingly wonder why they can't get anywhere near the top.

And yep, those 95% still have their day jobs, trying pester everyone they know to join them.

Can you imagine the constant lack of peace on your mind when you are constantly trying to think of who to try and recruit next? :squint: :whip:

And you are right, you can never retire from something like this because the minute you stop focusing on your downlines and recruits, your money will quickly go down the tubes.

Perhaps we could start an intelligent and mature discussion on ponzi's/matrix/pyramids, etc on another thread as not to take the focus of this thread.

Sorry everyone, if this was too off-topic. :doh:

However it's still related with jobs and employment, right? :D

I still love to hear about everyone's elses unique and interesting jobs on here!
:D :D

TJDeaf

I'm glad you appreciate the fact MelaBuddies is run by the deaf. I can see where you are coming from about "Mela Trainers".

Good! Because I am serious about that, I do support any Deaf business that deserves it. :grouphug:

We order products because we want to. We can stop anytime we want to but I do not want to. I love the products I order. Yay!
Yep! :) Again I never disputed the products, nor the program. I've always said that the products are top-notch.

I won't rehash this because I've already said it in previous posts.

But you do know that if you stop ordering products, they will charge your bank account or credit card for the amount that you are required to order, unless you cancel your account.

And you also know of course that if your recruits drop-off then your money also does, too. :)

Besides, I don't think the Mods like hearing anything like this anymore so back to the "What Job or Career are you in?"
Lol you mean don't like hearing the truth? ;-)

But really --> Hehehe, I do agree, I just posted the same time as you did and apologized (above) for going off topic.

However, I did not start any of the off-topic posts, I merely answered them, like everyone else did also. :)

I also asked if we could have a thread specifically about Ponzi and Pyramid schemes as not to go off topic.
However you beat me by a few minutes or seconds already. :cheers:
Thanks for keeping this discussion open-minded and mature. I really appreciate that. :ty:

So sorry IslandBreeze! I forgot to answer this:

Is there a business you can set up without spending money?

Yes yes! There certainly is! :)

Of course, most businesses do follow the "mandatory" notion of "it takes money to make money', but there truly are ways to not spend a dime and still get something going; and successfully at that. :)

So as this thread talking about Jobs and Careers, wondering who else has their own business, and did it take a significant amount of $$$ dollars to set up?

I'm not speaking of recruiting 'businesses'.

I mean businesses that you run yourself - without having to sign up to and/or recruit anyone - and merely based on services (or your very own product(s)) that you provide others.

Would love to hear this also!

Note to Mods - if this is too off topic, please let me know and I'll be happy to start its own thread or poll. :)

Looking forward to hearing about more jobs and what everyone else does or wants to do! :D :D

Last edited:
So sorry IslandBreeze! I forgot to answer this:

Yes yes! There certainly is! :) Most businesses do follow the mandatory notion of "it takes money to make money', but there truly are ways to not spend a dime and still get something going. :)

So as this thread talking about Jobs and Careers, wondering who else has their own business, and did it take a significant amount of $$$ dollars to set up?

I'm not speaking of recruiting 'businesses'.

I mean businesses that you run yourself - without having to sign up to and/or recruit anyone - and merely based on services (or your very own product(s) that you provide others.

Would love to hear this also!

Note to Mods - if this is too off topic, please let me know and I'll be happy to start it's own thread or poll. :)

Looking forward to hearing about more jobs and what everyone else does or wants to do! :D :D

My husband is starting his cake designing business on the side. Didnt cost him a dime and so far he is doing well. He is developing a portfolio, business cards, and most important, word of mouth. No cost! :)

My husband is starting his cake designing business on the side. Didnt cost him a dime and so far he is doing well. He is developing a portfolio, business cards, and most important, word of mouth. No cost! :)

Hi Shel! YAY! So glad to hear this from your post.

And YES word of mouth ROCKS!!!! It builds trust so much more quickly and effectively for a potential client, customer, or prospect. That's like one of the best types of advertising to get - and free.

Thank you for posting this. I do look forward to hearing from others about this, also.

Congrats and wishing you and your family best successes with this! :D

Great Shel! Now I'm craving CAKE! HAHAHA
Heading to the kitchen now. . . ;)

LOL! You know what the funny thing is? I dont like cake at all. I prefer brownies. :giggle:

Thanks for the words of encouragement. :)

I should have added that I don't really like cake either! (Don't do brownies either;) )

I have been working over 14 hours today and only stopped to get some water, coffee, and a bagel while on break.

You probably could even have said that your husband has a spinach, brussel sprouts, and liver decorating business and I'd have been hungry for that instead. :lol:

Thanks for the words of encouragement. :)

Gosh and certainly!

I love seeing others grow and succeed, especially in the Deaf community.

There is plenty of money and success to go around for all of us! :D

Would love updates on this when you remember and/or have the time. :)

Anyone else working from home doing their own thing? Did it take a lot of money for you to get started?

Anyone else working from home doing their own thing? Did it take a lot of money for you to get started?

I started my own business a few years ago. I was teaching hearing parents with infants and small children to use ASL for communication. I called it Creative Hands and I spent about $1,000 to get started. I had to buy teaching materials which costed me about $200-$250 plus I bought a website that I had my friend design and that costed me $700. I don't do that anymore since I got my teaching job at Oldfields.

It was awesome for me to get that job because I was looking for more of a challenge and I found it at Oldfields. Technically I am an employee but I really have a contract with them. It's not a full-time position so I still count it as my Creative Hands business for tax purposes. Last year I had to buy more teaching materials which was another $200-$250 and the school did not re-imburse me. I wrote those off for my taxes.

Filing all the business paperwork was free as far as I can recall. Overall, it was a bit pricey to get started. I pay for the website to stay on the Internet but that's not much.

Tracie, in the beginning, I think I tried almost every at home business opp I could find. Not only via online, but off-line also:
1. Teaching ASL of course
2. Teaching baby sign language to daycares and preschools
3. Consulting for interpreters while serving on Interpreter Quality Assurance boards, etc.
4. etc
5. etc!

It can be expensive to set up a business, depending on what it is and the type of outcome you hope for.

I think it's a shame they didn't reimburse you for your time and your personal purchases to teach their students. Ack!

Do you still have Creative Hands? If so, what all does it comprise, if you don't mind? How is that website doing? (You know me by now and my obessession with websites, right? ;) )

Do you think in the future you could combine the two somehow?

Do you expect to spend more money on your businss(es) or was the start-up cost sufficient?

The old adage "it takes money to make money". Mostly it does. Not always. :D

Would love to hear from others also!

I am a information support officer in a government department. :)

Back