What is your mode of communication with Hearies?

If it's someone new, I tell them I'm deaf first but I can still hear with cochlear implants. Or else it can get awkward fast sometimes. So I prefer to tell them, in case if I'm having trouble understanding.

If it's someone I know, I lip-read and listen. Then usually just communicate back orally. I don't use sign generally unless it's with my deaf friends... well two of them sometimes sign, the other one doesn't.

How many of you can communicate with hearies purely by signing or mostly gesturing? Do you have the patience to stick it through until you get your point across or do you end up writing it down out of frustration? Although it's tedious at times, it is achievable.

If Im in a queue, however, I will use a combination of sign and writing it down.

Don't you just hate it when a male tries to communicate with you that has a very heavy moustache?....:giggle:...there have been many instances to that happening with me....Many have just pulled it up and mouthed the words...I did offer some duct tape once to a friend but he declined......:giggle:...and as for those silly, stupid "gestures"...they get on my nerves...it's as if we're playing a game...and "guess what I said"?...so I told him what I thought he said...and he said..."No, that's not what I said"...soooo...the guessing game gets boring and irritating!...

How many of you can communicate with hearies purely by signing or mostly gesturing? Do you have the patience to stick it through until you get your point across or do you end up writing it down out of frustration? Although it's tedious at times, it is achievable.

If Im in a queue, however, I will use a combination of sign and writing it down.

I don't see why I would want to. I have the ability to easily write things down and it is easy for anyone to understand.

Signing or gesturing to a non signer is just a huge waste of my time, and I have a lot of other things I would rather do in a day.

When travelling overseas where English is not commonly used, using gestures with non-signers usually results in a good outcome in communication. However, it appears in countries where English is prominently used, it seems that people in general are lazy with putting in any effort to communicate. If they discover that you are able to put any semblance of a spoken word together or to speak orally in any form or manner, all the hard work of trying to understand falls back on you. Effort should be mutually two-way. Its no wonder some have resorted to hermitude on a solitaire 'island'. How many times I have found myself withdrawing to that state rather than giving in to the continous frustration of having to be oral for the convenience of others because sign language is deemed an 'embarassment' succumbed to mockery, or purely for lack of effort on the non-signers part. People can be tolerant, forgiving, and understanding when it comes to another's beliefs and controversial preferences in whatever form that may take, yet when it comes to communication between sign language users and non-signers, this fails miserably. This is a mystery.

I don't see why I would want to. I have the ability to easily write things down and it is easy for anyone to understand.

Signing or gesturing to a non signer is just a huge waste of my time, and I have a lot of other things I would rather do in a day.

This seems so often the case, where we end up having to succumb to writing everything down. It is more often than not the case where signing or gesturing is a waste of time. As so it happens to many languages of the minority groups within a country. But is this what it should be?

I looked at the Boogie Board and I like it, but I am disappointed. I could not find one price on the website, and the nearest retailer is 100 miles round trip. This is more than annoying.

I looked at the Boogie Board and I like it, but I am disappointed. I could not find one price on the website, and the nearest retailer is 100 miles round trip. This is more than annoying.

Odd thought... try your flea market... have an instructor that obtained some from the one out here...

Point, eye contact (or purposeful lack thereof), canned phrases, nodding, avoid completely, sparse conversation with family, (sign if I'm with extended family).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

ASL
Written or typed English

Maybe I can try speaking cat language if I'm surrounded by cats.

Where I live, few hearing people know ASL, so I end up having people write everything down. But, I speak very well, and hearing people think because I can speak, that means I hear well in background noise even though I can't, so that is a challenge. I prefer to mostly stay by myself. Hearies can be so annoying!

Often I use two methods of communication with hearies.

#1 - I carry mini notebook with a pen.
#2 - If it is going to be a short conversation, especially for asking some assistance in the store (asking for a product or such) then I just simply use either Apple Page or Microsoft 365 Word saying "Can you please point me to where I can _______ at?" or similar.

If it a conference, meeting or such, like at a hotel or whatever where the people sits at the table then I would either communicate with my Windows laptop (planning on to get Macbook Pro soon!) or my Ipad.

Off-topic (crazy story for you all): One time I was at a hotel, I asked one of the employee at the hotel where the bathroom/restroom is that I could use by using a gesture (because I expected that she wouldn't know ASL so I tried to communicate the best I thought of by doing the gestures) then for some reason this old lady flipped out and ran to the owner of the hotel complaining saying "THIS MAN IS JACKING OFF IN AIR TO ME!". I then said "WOAH! WOAH! NO!" I explained that this gesture of holding my thing (not my thing but a gesture) to say that I need to pee. :giggle:

writing difficult lost a lot of use in arm fingers, most of it lost last day or so. signing with competent person not so bad but few of them around.It remains to be seen how going to cope..surppose depends if other person got anything intresting to say

Me and my fiancé both are deaf. However, we always carry a mini notebook and few pens so we can communicate with the hearing people. If needed, we have our own cell phone and we can put the texts on there and show to the hearing people.

Simple.

There has been some really good answers given here. :)
Let's take a bit of a twist on this discussion - here is another question for you:

If there was no way other than you using sign language, and there was no hearing person who knew sign, how would you communicate and successfully get your point across? Do you see that as possible or not?

There has been some really good answers given here. :)
Let's take a bit of a twist on this discussion - here is another question for you:

If there was no way other than you using sign language, and there was no hearing person who knew sign, how would you communicate and successfully get your point across? Do you see that as possible or not?
I can add to this from the other side, as well as a bit from my perspective being HOH now. Becoming HOH later though means it's just incoming communication that's tough for me. For communicating to someone I have my voice.

Before I started learning sign language (in fact quite a while ago) I worked as a cashier in a grocery store. I had a regular customer who was Deaf and he'd always come to my lane if I was in. I didn't really know any ASL then beyond basics like thank you, hi, bye, money, and maybe a few other signs, stuff I learned in grade school or picked up on from this customer or other Deaf I interacted with back then.

Most of the time transactions like that can happen without really having to talk much, but sometimes things come up, a card is rejected, or someone gave the wrong amount of money, or whatever. When this happened with that customer, he'd use signs that (I assume) he knew were easy to pick up the meaning of even without knowing ASL, along with pointing. I think he was pretty good at speech reading too, but I'd add to most things I said by pointing so he had extra context.

Thinking about it now that I'm HOH, I was probably his choice because my interactions were predictable, I already knew he was Deaf, and I was easy to interact with. Personally, now, when I go to a new store, restaurant, whatever, it's a lot tougher than when I go somewhere familiar where I know what they're going to ask me. Noisy places are the toughest, I can't understand or sometimes even distinguish speech if there's a ton of background noise and someone has a softer or higher pitched voice.

I feel sorry for the poor girl behind the Qudoba (ameri-mex restaurant typically playing loud music where you order custom fillings for your burrito, quesadilla, or whatever) counter the first time I went there... had no idea it was going to be such an involved ordering process and she had such a soft voice. I think she picked up on the fact I couldn't hear her (not sure how she couldn't have) because she started pointing more and looking at me more when talking.

I think the communication effort has to be on both sides. The toughest is when you encounter someone who just can't figure out a different approach at all or for whatever reason doesn't understand that you just can't hear them. I've had that experience already too, blank stares where you know they're thinking "why can't you just answer my question, idiot" or "oh great another stupid white guy who can't understand my accent" that one almost makes me feel bad...

I mostly write on a paper to communicate with hearing people. A notebook or whatever it is. I sometimes sign a few basic and visible words if it is just few things I want or need.

Back