What is your mode of communication with Hearies?

Hmm well if it comes to a point where all I have is sign... no voice and no hearing aids(and truthfully I almost never use my voice without my hearing aids anyway...) and I have no other means.. gesturing and like Nic said..there ARE a number of signs that can be easily understood by a hearing person in context. Might take longer but there you have it.

There has been some really good answers given here. :)
Let's take a bit of a twist on this discussion - here is another question for you:

If there was no way other than you using sign language, and there was no hearing person who knew sign, how would you communicate and successfully get your point across? Do you see that as possible or not?

I absolutely wouldn't bother.

Actually on an everyday basis, I get most things sent direct to my home by Amazon.

Things we buy like fresh food or perishables, I never find a need to communicate with them.

Maybe they know we won't hear them because we frequent the same places, but we just don't have that problem.

The modern world is much better for deaf people.

Of course if it was my choice to talk to them, it's different

Once while touring the U.S. Capital, an Asian woman who did not speak English was looking for the ladies room. She was able to gesture to me in a way that I could understand.
Where there's a will, there's a way.

Back