What is this about?!

OldNavyGirl

Premium Member
Reaction score
this is really sad!!!!!!!!!!! How could someone do this ?! It made me mad and sick if someone do this!!!!

check this out

St. Paul Pioneer Press | 03/16/2007 | WHEN PETS BECOME PAWNS

WHEN PETS BECOME PAWNS
The international media have zeroed in on the chilling tale of a St. Paul girl who opened a box left on her porch and found her lost dog's head inside. While such a beheading is rare, advocates say animal abuse is common and often linked to violence against people.
BY JOHN BREWER
Pioneer Press
Crystal Brown's dog Chevy went missing in St. Paul in February.
JOE ROSSI, Pioneer Press
Crystal Brown's dog Chevy went missing in St. Paul in February.
More photos

The news has proved shocking enough to attract attention from around the world: A St. Paul teen loses her dog. Weeks later, a gift-wrapped box shows up on the teen's front stoop. When she opens it, the dog's head is inside.

Now, media outlets including Inside Edition, CNN.com and the BBC are picking up the story. While the tale is disturbing enough to make international news, advocates for ending animal and domestic abuse say it is all too common.

"It's really showing up pretty strongly these days in domestic violence, in which animals are pawns in the game of power and control that batterers use to coerce and intimidate their victims," said Phil Arkow of the American Humane Association.

This victim — 17-year-old Crystal Brown — worries that whoever killed her dog Chevy last month might want to do the same to her.

"It's just sick," the North End teen said Thursday. "I can't sleep at night. I don't eat right … . I don't walk around the neighborhood too much. I don't want to get killed just walking down the street, trying to live life. They have no pity, no remorse."

Police have no definite suspects. But Crystal and her grandmother, Shirley Brown, suspect one of the teenager's acquaintances killed Chevy.

Shirley Brown said one of her granddaughter's friendships had soured and, on several occasions when Crystal was visiting, the acquaintance wouldn't allow her to leave the house until Crystal was able to call her grandmother to intervene. The grandmother never called police about the incidents, even though she had suspicions shortly after Chevy disappeared.

"I should have followed my instincts. I should have. I blame myself on that one," Brown said. "Maybe the dog would still be alive."

Arkow said recent surveys from across the world bear out the link between animal and human violence. According to the Humane Association:

• Animals are abused in about 88 percent of homes where child physical abuse is reported.

• Of women seeking shelter in safe houses, 77 percent said their partner had threatened, hurt or killed their companion animal.

• Of women seeking shelter in safe houses, 32 percent of mothers reported that their children hurt or killed their pets.

The American Humane Association, a national organization that works to prevent animal and child abuse, offers serial killers as examples of people who often have histories of abusing animals before they attack humans.

"Not every boy who pulls the wings off a fly is going to grow up to be another Jeffrey Dahmer," Arkow said. "On the other hand, any child that shows an unusual fascination with harming animals really needs some counseling. Harming animals, according to research, is one of the earliest indicators of conduct disorder. If left untreated, it very often escalates."

The Humane Association, along with local organizers, is holding a summit on the link between animal and domestic abuse at the end of the month in St. Paul. The goal is to create a coalition of animal and human caregivers that will be able to spot abuse and report it, whether it's happening to a person or a pet.

"We're starting to take it more seriously, but I don't think there's any coordinated effort between the systems to respond," said Jane Hunt, program coordinator for St. Paul's Partners for Violence Prevention.

Animal abuse isn't new to the area; think of Kimanie Markeys Carter, 20, who snapped the necks of 10 puppies last summer, or Brian J. Vanthof of Grantsburg, Wis., convicted last fall of slitting the throat of his ex-wife's dog. But beheading a dog hits a new low.

"This is the first I've seen or heard of something like this," said St. Paul's Sgt. Jim Gray of the crime.

Gray hopes a growing pool of reward money, including $2,500 from the National Humane Society and pledges from concerned people across the nation, will help turn up the killer.

"This is a terrible thing to do to a person's pet," he said.

Brown, who took custody of Crystal 1½ years ago after a tumultuous time in her mother's house, recently bought her granddaughter a new Australian shepherd. Diesel is barely 10 weeks old, but Crystal hopes whoever killed Chevy (named after her estranged father's favorite make of car) will be caught soon. She's planning to take her new friend on long walks.

"That's when I talk to my dog the most, outside," she said, "to get things off my chest."

John Brewer can be reached at 651-228-2093, or at jbrewer@pioneerpress.com.

IF YOU GO

What: Building a Bridge of Hope: Interdisciplinary Conference on Family Violence and Animal Abuse

When: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. March 29

Where: University of Minnesota, St. Paul Campus, 135 Continuing Education and Conference Center, 1890 Buford Ave.

Online: Maps and directions to on-campus events - Veterinary Continuing Education - the University of Minnesota
Click here to find out more!

i'm also going to kill these little kids who killed their pets..

kids who hate animals-->:grouphug: :rl: <-- me!

i dont care if they are too young! :pissed:

Boy that is cruel of anyone to kill and behead a dog like this.. I saw this article in the daily newspaper I buy in town and was shaking my head and saying holy cow that is really rotten... whoever did that will have to answer to some law enforcement and will pay for this... terrible indeed...

I cannot beleive after read those article here... It's most disgusit, I ever read...

That teenager need a professional help.

I agree with animal lover
I would want that person to pay too for that deed.

:rl: :rl: to that person, who wants to kill animals is beyond me.

I am a member of aspca and hsus and seeing this hurts me!!

:pissed:

it is sickening. here in Toledo, couldn't find someone that tied up lot of dogs on traintracks and chopped them and it is gruelsome and sickening. i agree, they should do need professional help.

i'm also going to kill these little kids who killed their pets..

kids who hate animals-->:grouphug: :rl: <-- me!

i dont care if they are too young! :pissed:
Then you are even worse than they are. :mad:

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

screaming my head off GROWL at this cruel people sheesh what wrong with that mental cases they BELONG to mental hospital

Back