What happened to English?

prostock19

Reaction score
I was browsing hiptop.com, a forum all about the Danger Hiptop AKA T-Mobile Sidekick. I come across this post in the AIM forum, which is meant to discuss problems, tips, and questions about the AIM feature on the device. Here is the post..

St.Louis brotha looking foe podnas

Hit me up playa email or whateva just holla atcha boy right hurrrre-----my sn is naterrion at aol Im---------HOLLA
Is Miss Grammar Nazi still out there?? LOL. I think I am going to turn into the English Nazi on that site, even though my English ain't the best. Just wanna see what others think about what people are doing with the English language.

:) English, at its best, has not gone away - yet. But it has been "replaced" by slang - its kind of like how people talk in l337 on computers ;)

*wonders who you meant by Mrs Grammar Nazi* =X

Hit me up playa email or whateva just holla atcha boy right hurrrre-----my sn is naterrion at aol Im---------HOLLA

Contact me through email or whatever. Just saying Hello at you, boy. Right hurry! My screenname is "naterrion" at AOL IM. BYE

I think that's what it is. :dunno:

I've noticed that more people are doing that. Did you know that I've seen the work of several NTID students that use internet slang in their essays? There's "LOL", "BRB", "BS", etc. Sad, eh?

Are you serious VamProyX? That is probably the most saddest thing I ever heard.

Originally posted by VamPyroX
I've noticed that more people are doing that. Did you know that I've seen the work of several NTID students that use internet slang in their essays? There's "LOL", "BRB", "BS", etc. Sad, eh?
Even in corporate environment, including director! It is sadder than what everyone might think!!

OH JEEZ!!!!!!!! I actually was writing a note to someone and i had already sent it, and i got a phone call from them im like oh jeez what did I do now? this person said, could u tell me what u had said in the mail? i said what u talking abt? good thing i made a copy as it was a business letter, and when i went to take a look at it i was soo embarrassed cuz my mind was sidetracked and i was like oh jeez and i apologized to this person for the computer lingo, she asked me what they were, so i said i would send her the computer lingo crib sheet i have here which i did and she called me back and laughed said it's ok, no harm done. I didn t EVEN relize it it s just like ur so immersed in the computer world u sometimes forget how to talk in the manner of proper lanagague i swore i wouldn t do it again! sheesh on me LOL!

Yeah I got alot of slang on my pager lately.

Hey CYA meet me tmw at park. NP ttyl

HAND ditto

Hey See you around, meet me tomorrow at the park. No problem talk to you later. Have a nice day..

GN Good night :(

I am lost LOL

Originally posted by javapride
OH JEEZ!!!!!!!! I actually was writing a note to someone and i had already sent it, and i got a phone call from them im like oh jeez what did I do now? this person said, could u tell me what u had said in the mail? i said what u talking abt? good thing i made a copy as it was a business letter, and when i went to take a look at it i was soo embarrassed cuz my mind was sidetracked and i was like oh jeez and i apologized to this person for the computer lingo, she asked me what they were, so i said i would send her the computer lingo crib sheet i have here which i did and she called me back and laughed said it's ok, no harm done. I didn t EVEN relize it it s just like ur so immersed in the computer world u sometimes forget how to talk in the manner of proper lanagague i swore i wouldn t do it again! sheesh on me LOL!
LOL, I had my Microsoft Office Word grammar/spelling set to "Formal" so it would detect my cyberslang words before I send my summary out to my co-workers. I also love to set it to show readability statistics as well.

Heh. I have to be careful with what I type in my email at work to talk to my boss or co-workers, or they'll look at me like I'm a retarded person. :rofl:

I have seen people talk like that and makes me wonder what they will be like later on in life. Don't they need good english to get far in the working world?

Do most people agree that there should be a line between online and formal? That is my feelings. If I am talking online, I will say some shortcuts, but if I was to write a business letter or a school paper, I would stick to proper English as much as I can.

To me, kids who learn how to write like my example above is going to do terrible in school, college, and the work place. I can picture going to McDonald's (although I hate the place) and some kid saying something like "Hit me up with your order".

:rofl:

ive had my own share of fucking up on occasions :-x

i remmy i once was editing a friend's college paper for grammatical and spelling editions and not thinking at the time i was abbreviating a few words and shit (this during the time my train of thought is on a roll) and when i reviewed my editions i realized ive fucked up so had to fix those before i attached and sent it back to her LOL -- abbreviations are indeed a time saver BUT does not look good on a college paper or other formal papers :(

Thats ghetto talk. Been thru that in Chicago. Sometimes it hard to understand but you get use to it.

It's true, since computers and Internet has gone into fashion -- a lot of people have created a new sort of computer lingo. It certainly has changed a lot since the beginning of the technology era. For example, my step daughter, Kristy, talks to me online and she says a few words that I just don't have an inkling of what it means and I have to ask her to say that in PLAIN english!!!!!!! Geez...but it's funny though...at least, I do get to learn something new and do use it sometimes just for the heck of it. ;)

Oh, BTW....I don't mean to categorise this as a racial thing --- but black people tend to have their own lingos even it's in english, but is pronounced and spelt differently, don't you notice that? :) I think it's cool!

Hey, as long as these "kids" don't know how to write in proper English, I feel I will be able to get a job before them. I could see their resume.

"Yo, I worked at Micky D's with my homies. It was a great job where I got to check out all the shorties"

Back