What did you learn today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Learnt that the Australia dollar is matching to the U.S dollar. Good times.

I learned my ex may want to hook back up, I hope so.

This is random I know, but I learnt how to make/manufacture food and paint cans :)

I, unfortunately, have learnt who real friends are, and that includes few AD'ers and I feel dumbfounded to find out that it is not what I expected and it insults me to know that some people doesn't show any care to friends. Disappointing.

I am sorry if I have offended some of you, you know who you are.
tough luck when you repeat "I care not I care not I care not," thinking that was funny or cool, posting childish posts. they've got to know you more and got annoyed. I wouldn't blame them, think about it.

'you know who you are,' I can't tell if that includes me--you should be apologizing to few personally, that's more proper way if you care. JMO.

according title... I learned the smell of dead whales. it wasn't as bad as alive penguin, flamingo or dead mice--just an interesting smell, a little too much.

I learned how to download and install a driver for a used webcam my daughter gave me, and set it all up.

I feel techie. :P

I learned that my brother is coming for a tooooo long visit. I love him but two weeks and I will have no more food, he will take over my bathroom, the sofa and the time. But it is cool, he understands my insults. He also knows a little ASL. Think I should force him to go to Deaf Coffee with me? (say yes)

I learned that my brother is coming for a tooooo long visit. I love him but two weeks and I will have no more food, he will take over my bathroom, the sofa and the time. But it is cool, he understands my insults. He also knows a little ASL. Think I should force him to go to Deaf Coffee with me? (say yes)

Yes! :D

Before the Irish famine, the average Irish farmer, outside of Ulster, sustained on 10-14 lbs of potatoes a day-- averaging 12 lbs a day. Within Ulster, where oats are consumed, it averages 8 lbs of potatoes a day. The upper-class, clergies, merchants et cetera consumed 3-4 lbs of potatoes a day.

The average 21st Century American only consume 1/4 lbs of potatoes a day.

Makes me wonder how many pounds of rice, wheat, rye, oats, groats and so on a person can live on for a year without any other staples.

Also found out Southeast Asia consumes about 160-200kg of rice a year-- factoring in millet, wheat, buckwheat and other grains and tubers (which constitute 10%) as well. That sounds about right... I go through about 15kg of rice a month.

Korea? 70kg. China? 90kg. Japan? 80kg. Philippines? 105kg. United States? 7-9kg. Europe is around 3kg. South America and Africa? Around 40-70kg (varies from country to country.)

After looking at wheat, rye and other grain staples... it seems like for a country whose diet is almost exclusively based on one grain-- it's about 200-250kg.

Neat. At least now I know I don't need as much food as I thought.

Statistic is a bit skewed though. Like for example... East European and Central Asians eat more potatoes (100-150kg per capita) than anyone else, but at the same time, they foster the highest meat consumption (90-130kg per capita) as well; when prior to the Irish famine, the average Irish diet didn't have much more than potatoes and buttermilk.

Learned that my dad also refused to believe my neighbor next door when she pointed to the bus stop sign on the corner near my apt. I take it he believes what he wants to believe even when evidence is right in front of him. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back