What did you learn today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand why anyone would want to feel an earthquake . They should consider their self lucky for not feeling one. I had when I lived in California and my daughter was at school , it was a horrible feeling not being with her when it happen It was strong enough to made my wooden floor roll and a small table move . We had a few on the East coast in the last 30 years or so.

It survived the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake... that is one major. There may be a couple of other moderate since it was first opened to traffic in 1937.

How many earthquakes did the Golden Gate bridge survive through? I am surprised that it is still standing.

My mom, my sweet, innocent, and child like mom has been in jail... Really disliking police right now...

I'm sorry to hear that.

My mom, my sweet, innocent, and child like mom has been in jail... Really disliking police right now...

It survived the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake... that is one major. There may be a couple of other moderate since it was first opened to traffic in 1937.

This reminded me of our conversation about the 1989 world series game few months ago.

Learned that if you know who doesn't like something then nobody should like it.

I got the temp job! And I start after my trip next week!

As usual, God works in his mysterious ways.

This was the job that I thought I blew right off the bat on the phone interview because of my hearing difficulties. And I had been told that the job had been filled. I then got a call a week or two later saying the gal wanted to do a F2F interview and she told me not to be so hard on myself when I thanked her for giving me a 2nd chance. I think I'm going to like working for/with her.

This was the job that I thought I blew right off the bat on the phone interview because of my hearing difficulties. And I had been told that the job had been filled. I then got a call a week or two later saying the gal wanted to do a F2F interview and she told me not to be so hard on myself when I thanked her for giving me a 2nd chance. I think I'm going to like working for/with her.

Yay, congrats on the new job!

Congratulations!

You sure have had to make a lot of changes. Such a change from when I was working. I was with the same group of small companies (with one guy as the majority owner) for about 33 1/2 years (last week of August, 1960 to end of January of 1994). Won't ever forget the time a co-worker and I agreed that the only ones (other than some union trades) that hadn't been there less that 20 years were not old enough to have been. A number of friends spent a similar amount of time at one place, but different ones than the one I was with.

Congratulations!

You sure have had to make a lot of changes. Such a change from when I was working. I was with the same group of small companies (with one guy as the majority owner) for about 33 1/2 years (last week of August, 1960 to end of January of 1994). Won't ever forget the time a co-worker and I agreed that the only ones (other than some union trades) that hadn't been there less that 20 years were not old enough to have been. A number of friends spent a similar amount of time at one place, but different ones than the one I was with.
I think it varies by field/career or even the company.

Overall IT jobs tend to be short. Rarely have I seen a worker last longer than 10 years at the same company (Contractor OR FTE).. I think the longest I know of is 8 years for contractors (maybe more)... but I do know at least one FTE who held various jobs at my last client site and retired with I think 35 years. You don't see that anymore.

My sister has been at her job for 26 years, my brother has been with the same company for 17 years (that may change.. haven't heard anything). Then there's me.... :P

People don't follow directions

I learned that my 18-year-old grandson got called for his first jury duty. It was weird that on the same jury was a former high school classmate, and their high school guidance counselor. :lol:

:lol:...seriously...many, many people have gone to jail for one thing or another...(they won't admit it, tho')...:giggle:...and nobody wants to go to jail, that's for sure!....So many reasons, so many excuses...some innocent and some guilty....Here in my city, the cops are "jail happy"....And the experience most likely will make anyone avoid going to jail again.
I've heard the quote a lot...."Oh, everybody has been to jail!"...no big deal...but it is when it's your MOther....so I catch ur drift about not liking the police now....

Who says that?!

Not everybody has been to jail, and it is a big deal.

You're right! I've never been to jail and don't plan to go to jail. It really isn't an everyday thing.

I learned that my 18-year-old grandson got called for his first jury duty. It was weird that on the same jury was a former high school classmate, and their high school guidance counselor. :lol:

They can have a small class reunion when the trial is over. :giggle:
It's sure is a small world after all.

Perhaps I didn't phrase that right...:giggle:....and it all depends upon the situation and the Police attitude....The jails remain "full" here in my City. And not all of the people have committed a "horrible crime"...And feel no one should be looked down on if they have been in jail once in their lives. Some people do stupid things and get locked up...Even people completely innocent have gone to jail...go to Court and the case is dismissed....I'd be upset too, if my Mother had to go to jail!...and a lot of these people in jail, their bond is only $100...hard to find a bondsman to take the bond when it's that low, they make no $$ off of that. But the City is the one that makes the $$....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back