What did you learn today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has, and it's something I have been expecting to happen for years, but I wasn't expecting it so soon. And wearing hearing aides won't do me much good now-- I quit wearing them years ago due to sensitivity to loud noises, and getting frequent headaches. Since I quit wearing them, my quality of life has improved a LOT, but I also knew that there was the possibility that I might lose what I had left, but I'm not complaining, though-- I can only see my life getting better, so I am taking a positive and proactive approach to it. I'm not gonna pout and complain.

Ok, didn't realize you weren't a hearing aid wearer. Glad all is well with you concerning the further loss of your hearing.

Ok, didn't realize you weren't a hearing aid wearer. Glad all is well with you concerning the further loss of your hearing.

Yeah. I may have to do things a little differently than what I usually do, but it shouldn't be too difficult a transition-- after all, I did expect it to happen. I'll get used to it eventually, but it shouldn't take that long, because I have noticed hearing was declining, so I knew it was only a matter of time.

It has, and it's something I have been expecting to happen for years, but I wasn't expecting it so soon. And wearing hearing aides won't do me much good now-- I quit wearing them years ago due to sensitivity to loud noises, and getting frequent headaches. Since I quit wearing them, my quality of life has improved a LOT, but I also knew that there was the possibility that I might lose what I had left, but I'm not complaining, though-- I can only see my life getting better, so I am taking a positive and proactive approach to it. I'm not gonna pout and complain.

I had not had a hearing test in 3 years and wen I had one recently I found out I lost more hearing and I was once told I most likely not lose any more hearing as I ages . I am starting to be bothered by loud noises too , I can't hear high pitch sounds at all anymore . But I never really could so I have no idea what I am missing. I told my audi I was not going to wrong about b/c
never could hear high frequency sounds .
My younger sister was told by her ENT doctor that she needed a HA b/c is losing hearing and can't hear high frequency sounds as good. Her DR. told her that hearing aids cost thousands of dollars and that she could to the office
downstairs and asked my sister if she wanted them to start the paperwork.
My sister said "NO, she want to think about this first." The office downstairs
is her ENT doctor office and he was trying rush my sister into buying a HA .
I told her she should find an other ENT doctor, b/c her hearing loss is not affecting her life style . That doctor sound shady to me.

With just a cursory glance at the website, it looks to me as if all their corn is popped. That's something I'd never order.
When I was a teenager working at a movie theater concession stand, we used to get huge bags of popped popcorn. No telling how old it was when we got it, and we stored it for weeks at a time. Mice loved it. We dumped it into the fake popper at the stand where it was warmed by a heat lamp. We didn't claim that it was freshly popped but the image conveyed that it was.

The butter for the popcorn came in big plastic gallon jars and looked like Crisco shortening. We put it into the popcorn butter dispenser where it was melted and could be drizzled out on popcorn servings.

That was 1969-70. Maybe they don't do it that way now. :dunno:

When I was a teenager working at a movie theater concession stand, we used to get huge bags of popped popcorn. No telling how old it was when we got it, and we stored it for weeks at a time. Mice loved it. We dumped it into the fake popper at the stand where it was warmed by a heat lamp. We didn't claim that it was freshly popped but the image conveyed that it was.

The butter for the popcorn came in big plastic gallon jars and looked like Crisco shortening. We put it into the popcorn butter dispenser where it was melted and could be drizzled out on popcorn servings.

Oh, yuck!!

I had not had a hearing test in 3 years and wen I had one recently I found out I lost more hearing and I was once told I most likely not lose any more hearing as I ages . I am starting to be bothered by loud noises too , I can't hear high pitch sounds at all anymore . But I never really could so I have no idea what I am missing. I told my audi I was not going to wrong about b/c
never could hear high frequency sounds .
My younger sister was told by her ENT doctor that she needed a HA b/c is losing hearing and can't hear high frequency sounds as good. Her DR. told her that hearing aids cost thousands of dollars and that she could to the office
downstairs and asked my sister if she wanted them to start the paperwork.
My sister said "NO, she want to think about this first." The office downstairs
is her ENT doctor office and he was trying rush my sister into buying a HA .
I told her she should find an other ENT doctor, b/c her hearing loss is not affecting her life style . That doctor sound shady to me.

It just occured to me I may know why I lost my remaining hearing-- walking near an idle Metra locomotive one too many times may have done it, but I can't prove that, however.

One of sisters worked in a candy store once and she had to take all the candy out of the jars then dumped the new candy in then dump the old candy on top . I bet you remeber seeing waitresses pouring ketchup into another bottle to fill it up . They can't do that anymore. I took my daughter out and she used some ketchup and it tasted horrible b/c it been recycled some many times . The ketchup at bottom of the bottle was old from having other bottle poured into it. GROSS!

It just occured to me I may know why I lost my remaining hearing-- walking near an idle Metra locomotive one too many times may have done it, but I can't prove that, however.

I really doubt that is why you lost more hearing , I know I lost more b/c I am getting old and I can't stop that .

I really doubt that is why you lost more hearing , I know I lost more b/c I am getting old and I can't stop that .

Why do you doubt that? Locomotive's are loud. Constant exposure to loud noises, or even just one night at a loud concert, can cause hearing loss.

Why do you doubt that? Locomotive's are loud. Constant exposure to loud noises, or even just one night at a loud concert, can cause hearing loss.

Because it may not be the only thing train related that caused it. I'm also thinking of that time I stood way too close to a train horn a few weeks back. Had I known I would be profoundly deaf today, I wouldn't have ridden it that day.

A deaf friend of ours in El Paso had been a tank mechanic in the Army.

He was deaf because he was standing on a tank that exploded. Only one time.

After that he was a civilian tank mechanic on the Army base because he was considered disabled because he was deaf.

After that he was a civilian tank mechanic on the Army base because he was considered disabled because he was deaf.

Yup, and I personally know a man who became deaf while on the Army's intramural boxing team where he got boxed behind an ear. They gave him a hearing aid every year for the rest of his life.

My dad lost hearing from years of working in his buckle factory , I can see that happening to your friend , CB had to very close to train to loss more hearing but like he said he can't prove it. I think CB would had notice the difference right away in his hearing . When my car was T boned and I got knocked out cold I notice right away my hearing was messed up. I know a very loud sound can damage your hearing and most people notice it right away .

My dad lost hearing from years of working in his buckle factory , I can see that happening to your friend , CB had to very close to train to loss more hearing but like he said he can't prove it. I think CB would had notice the difference right away in his hearing . When my car was T boned and I got knocked out cold I notice right away my hearing was messed up. I know a very loud sound can damage your hearing and most people notice it right away .

*AHEM* I can no longer hear sirens and my bicycle bell. That, and the fact that that locomotive was on the next platform does not help.

*AHEM* I can no longer hear sirens and my bicycle bell. That, and the fact that that locomotive was on the next platform does not help.

I never said I did not you believe you lost more hearing. I know loud sound can cause people to loss their hearing . I once saw some fireworks with my daughter. They lasted along time and when they were over I could not hear right away . This lasted for awhile then my hearing came back. I heard of people noticing their hearing being worst right after a loud blast not a week later .

No kidding ! I had posted that happen to my dad from being around loud sounds for years .

I never said I did not you believe you lost more hearing. I know loud sound can cause people to loss their hearing . I once saw some fireworks with my daughter. They lasted along time and when they were over I could not hear right away . This lasted for awhile then my hearing came back. I heard of people noticing their hearing being worst right after a loud blast not a week later .

You are forgetting that I ride trains a LOT. This isn't temporary loss we're talking about. We're talking permanat loss, and that may be part of the reason why-- because of train noises, which I AM around quite a bit. I just did not expect to wake up fully deaf this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back