What are you thinking about? Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking... I'm really nervous about this date tonight! It'll be the first time I've taken a girl out since my hearing took a nosedive and I'm worried my very dodgy hearing will make communication a big issue!

Bring pen and paper :)

Wirelessly posted

Thinking that I can't wait to leave and be rid of this place.

Yesterday, my stepmom gave me a box of papers and photos. among them were my report cards from elementary school. Had never seen them before. Most common theme was "caroline struggles to follow what was said in class and gets frustrated easily." My kindergarten report card was rather depressing - "Caroline's classmates don't understand her speech and do not want to befriend her or sit next to her in class." Other typical teachers' comments were "she needs to pay more attention in class" or "she needs to try harder to listen in class".

What a trip down memory lane.

My old report cards say the same too especially about needing to pay more attention in class. Trying harder to listen in class is such a load of crap from these mainstreaming teachers. They don't know squat!

Seriously, mainstreaming is one of the worse thing anyone can do to deaf/hh children! Children do not deserve this at all.

DeafCaroline - You could burn some old reports in the fireplace if you wish so that you will save your embarrassment. Last year, I had so many old school records, and I don't want to keep them so I burned them in order to reduce the junks.

DeafCaroline - You could burn some old reports in the fireplace if you wish so that you will save your embarrassment. Last year, I had so many old school records, and I don't want to keep them so I burned them in order to reduce the junks.

I'm not embarrassed by my report cards. No wish to burn them, if ever I come across a hearing parent who wants to mainstream a deaf child, I will show them my report cards, which chronologically tracked my experiences academically and socially. Which tracked my speech therapy sessions and progress. Which tracked what were my biggest frustrations and what were my strengths. It tracked how misunderstood my deafness was by teachers.

No wish to eradicate such a supporting and validating argument against mainstreaming deaf children.

I am thinking of doing a kick boxing session:D

Yesterday, my stepmom gave me a box of papers and photos. among them were my report cards from elementary school. Had never seen them before. Most common theme was "caroline struggles to follow what was said in class and gets frustrated easily." My kindergarten report card was rather depressing - "Caroline's classmates don't understand her speech and do not want to befriend her or sit next to her in class." Other typical teachers' comments were "she needs to pay more attention in class" or "she needs to try harder to listen in class".

What a trip down memory lane.

Those comments sound familiar as one teacher told my mom, that I dream too much:lol: Don't be depressed, it's all good, we were all childish back in those days and didn't know any better.

I'm not embarrassed by my report cards. No wish to burn them, if ever I come across a hearing parent who wants to mainstream a deaf child, I will show them my report cards, which chronologically tracked my experiences academically and socially. Which tracked my speech therapy sessions and progress. Which tracked what were my biggest frustrations and what were my strengths. It tracked how misunderstood my deafness was by teachers.

No wish to eradicate such a supporting and validating argument against mainstreaming deaf children.

I was thinking how useful those report cards would be for teachers and parents of DHH children. I absolutely don't think mainstreaming is ideal in any way, shape or form. I will say though, that the accommodations now are much better than they were even 20 years ago. I think teachers and parents reading something like that would begin to truly understand what it's like for a student in a classroom that wasn't accessible to them.

Did you have any accommodations that you remember?

I was thinking how useful those report cards would be for teachers and parents of DHH children. I absolutely don't think mainstreaming is ideal in any way, shape or form. I will say though, that the accommodations now are much better than they were even 20 years ago. I think teachers and parents reading something like that would begin to truly understand what it's like for a student in a classroom that wasn't accessible to them.

Did you have any accommodations that you remember?

A FM system, that was also mentioned in the report cards from grade six when I first got it, apparently I kept forgetting it or leaving it in my locker.

I have report card grade two I think which say: "Sunny very disruptive every day. Perhaps she can focus more lip reading so other children not constant distract by her always moving her hands". Yeah, that mean my signing.

Thinking about a friend. Did not know she was in the hospital. Her sister forgot to let me know. She was my maid of honor and she's having problems with her cirrhosis of the liver. She keeps retaining fluid in her belly.

Ah, very sorry to hear that. My husband's brother died of cirrhosis of the liver. It's a painful way to go.

Just read the news that my city, Jacksonville, Florida, is #4 in the nation for DUI Citations.....the other 3 are San Diego, Los Angeles and Indianapolis.....Anyone hosting New Years Eve parties this Saturday is encouraged to also offer non-alcoholic drinks to their guests and to ask anyone who has had too much to drink to not drive. (Get non-alcoholic drink recipes: Recipes 4 the Road)

Also, AAA and Budweiser have teamed to help protect roadways with a program called Tow and Go. From Thursday through Monday, anyone who has had too much to drink at a restaurant or a bar can get a free and confidential ride home, with their vehicle towed along.

Be safe!

That's an extremely generous program! In our area, there is a program to call for a ride, but the person has to go back the next day and pick up their car from wherever it was parked.

I don't know how any parking tickets might be handled, if the car was parked on the street in a metered place. A parking ticket is a small price to pay as compared to a DUI conviction, or worse, I guess.

Lunch was incredibly delish! Italian subs from a local deli got Italian cookies mmm mmmmm

My old report cards say the same too especially about needing to pay more attention in class. Trying harder to listen in class is such a load of crap from these mainstreaming teachers. They don't know squat!

Seriously, mainstreaming is one of the worse thing anyone can do to deaf/hh children! Children do not deserve this at all.

I know quite a few of mine are in the lines of "Kristina could do so much better if she could just apply all the energy she puts into daydreaming into her schoolwork."

Yup - same for me. We hit a high of only 62F today and are expecting a low of 38F tonight.

Yup - same for me. We hit a high of only 62F today and are expecting a low of 38F tonight.

That's perfect weather. I would like to live with exactly those temperatures year around!

Sunshine, your memory you wrote there about your report card, teacher and your signing- makes me :(

this makes me remember my own elementary school report cards - "child needs to try harder with math" .... "math skills behind" .... "parents must work on improving math..." over and over

I feeling better normal better, last night I was fever high I have feeling better normal!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back