What are you thinking about? Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caramello Koalas and Freddos!!! Oh JClarke, you are making me homesick for Oz!! :aw::(

*dangles* Tim Tam........my American pals drooled for this.... :)

*dangling* Cherry Ripe.............yummy.....

*dangling* Shape biscuits......"munching*

More homesick yet?

Yeah, vegemite; meat pies; roast lamb dinners; lollie gobble bliss bombs :)

If this keeps up I most certainly must make a trip home to Oz very soon. :)

Definitely drooling! Fish and chips; Milkshakes.....

Yum. Fish n' chips here are the best. :) Ooh, I forgot... iced coffee, you like? Americans do not know how to make a good one. :P

If this keeps up I most certainly must make a trip home to Oz very soon. :)

*laughs* Gonna dump your hubby for a short trip home to do some Aussie food shopping? ;)

Do come down here and satisfy yourself.

Which state are you from?

NSW (Newcastle)

The trip would be visa-related but I would take the opportunity to catch up on that Aussie food shopping too ;-)

NSW (Newcastle)

The trip would be visa-related but I would take the opportunity to catch up on that Aussie food shopping too ;-)

Ahh, the Earthquake capital. Jk.

Hope the visa thing will go smoothly. Enjoy your trip back to the OZ. :)

Ahh, the Earthquake capital. Jk.

Hope the visa thing will go smoothly. Enjoy your trip back to the OZ. :)

Yes, and thanks. I heard you are in Melbourne? and JClarke is in Canberra.
Oh the Great Southland...why so far apart.

I am thinking how soon will my thread become unlocked. This thread is what i like to see, unlocked and continue to be.

Yes, and thanks. I heard you are in Melbourne? and JClarke is in Canberra.
Oh the Great Southland...why so far apart.

Yup, I'm from Melbourne, the best city in Australia :D

I met JClarke in his hometown. So next time you come back to Newcastle or Sydney, I can fly up for the day and meet you.

Or come down to Melbourne and I'll show you some great shopping spots ;)

I stopped caring about what I ate when I read the USDA/FDA/CFIA's hygiene standards.

The USDA-FDA-CFIA is a different division of the USDA. They deal primarily with the safety of the product, such as over-the-counter herbal medicines and such.

The division I am concerned with with that of the USDA-FSIS-MPO which stands for the United State Department of Agriculture Food Safety Inspection Service Meat and Poultry Operations. This division particularly deals with the safe food handling practices and sanitation of meat and poultry products handled by company employees ensuring that the company follows the minimum guidelines required by the USDA to ensure that no contaminants such as the well known E. Coli and Salmonella are not present within the product before, during, and after processing. Guidelines have been set forth by the USDA minimize the possibility ranging from the ambient air temperature of the processing area down to what cleaning agents may be used on processing lines before, during, and after production. If a company falls out of compliance a Non-Compliance Record (also called an NR) is drawn up. The violation is noted, the company is notified by the USDA of the violation, the USDA recommends a solution to the violation, the company then tells the USDA how they will solve the problem and what they will do to prevent it from happening again in the future. USDA then must monitor it on a continual basis to ensure it is following through, they must go through company records, verify it and then document it for record keeping. It then goes into a database known as the P3S system that does all of the functions of USDA from HACCP processing records down to payroll, however there are multiple programs that do these various functions under the P3S system.

With all of that said, each slaughter house has an on-site VMO (Veterinary Medical Officer) that oversee the health of the animals coming into the plant, they oversee the overall product handling within the plant from pre-processing all the way to further-processing out to packaging and labeling and ensuring that each product is labeled correctly. They also oversee pre-production sanitation as well as in-production sanitation. There are various and copious amounts of acronyms for each of these but I will spare you the alphabet soup. Each VMO is different they are just as human as you and I and each has their own personality that often dictates how they allow that plant to run. Some are notorious for letting certain things slide by through way of poor-record keeping or just leaving it until it comes to a head where it must be dealt with or the VMO can lose their job. At my plant, I feel that our VMO does an excellent job. We have a good USDA crew and I feel confident in their abilities to ensure we put out a product that is free of contaminants and harmful viruses and bacteria. However the VMO at a poultry plant I used to work for I feel does NOT do a good job and I will say this much: DO NOT ORDER THE BREAST MEAT FROM APPLEBEES as it comes from this plant in question. There may or may not be a chance of illness from this meat, but the fact that it is handled poorly IMO I would not eat this meat. The reason being is because the VMO at this particular plant does not care. At this point all the people can do is cringe and hope he retires soon.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. If I do not know the answer right off, I can find out within a day or two.

Yup, I'm from Melbourne, the best city in Australia :D

I met JClarke in his hometown. So next time you come back to Newcastle or Sydney, I can fly up for the day and meet you.

Or come down to Melbourne and I'll show you some great shopping spots ;)

Would like that very much. :D

Wirelessly posted

I am thinking of all the things to be thankful for even the little things.

The USDA-FDA-CFIA is a different division of the USDA. They deal primarily with the safety of the product, such as over-the-counter herbal medicines and such.

The division I am concerned with with that of the USDA-FSIS-MPO which stands for the United State Department of Agriculture Food Safety Inspection Service Meat and Poultry Operations. This division particularly deals with the safe food handling practices and sanitation of meat and poultry products handled by company employees ensuring that the company follows the minimum guidelines required by the USDA to ensure that no contaminants such as the well known E. Coli and Salmonella are not present within the product before, during, and after processing. Guidelines have been set forth by the USDA minimize the possibility ranging from the ambient air temperature of the processing area down to what cleaning agents may be used on processing lines before, during, and after production. If a company falls out of compliance a Non-Compliance Record (also called an NR) is drawn up. The violation is noted, the company is notified by the USDA of the violation, the USDA recommends a solution to the violation, the company then tells the USDA how they will solve the problem and what they will do to prevent it from happening again in the future. USDA then must monitor it on a continual basis to ensure it is following through, they must go through company records, verify it and then document it for record keeping. It then goes into a database known as the P3S system that does all of the functions of USDA from HACCP processing records down to payroll, however there are multiple programs that do these various functions under the P3S system.

With all of that said, each slaughter house has an on-site VMO (Veterinary Medical Officer) that oversee the health of the animals coming into the plant, they oversee the overall product handling within the plant from pre-processing all the way to further-processing out to packaging and labeling and ensuring that each product is labeled correctly. They also oversee pre-production sanitation as well as in-production sanitation. There are various and copious amounts of acronyms for each of these but I will spare you the alphabet soup. Each VMO is different they are just as human as you and I and each has their own personality that often dictates how they allow that plant to run. Some are notorious for letting certain things slide by through way of poor-record keeping or just leaving it until it comes to a head where it must be dealt with or the VMO can lose their job. At my plant, I feel that our VMO does an excellent job. We have a good USDA crew and I feel confident in their abilities to ensure we put out a product that is free of contaminants and harmful viruses and bacteria. However the VMO at a poultry plant I used to work for I feel does NOT do a good job and I will say this much: DO NOT ORDER THE BREAST MEAT FROM APPLEBEES as it comes from this plant in question. There may or may not be a chance of illness from this meat, but the fact that it is handled poorly IMO I would not eat this meat. The reason being is because the VMO at this particular plant does not care. At this point all the people can do is cringe and hope he retires soon.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. If I do not know the answer right off, I can find out within a day or two.

I'll have to keep that in mind regarding Applebee.

I used to work in the food industry and to this day, I'm leery of salad bars in grocery stores based on what I saw on the job -especially when it come to fruit.

I'm glad to know that there are still places that take food safety seriously out there.

I was just informed that someone I know was harrassed by her boyfriend on FB... He cussed her out and mentioned something that is personal and have no place on Facebook. What a jerk! And deaf people have drama issues????

I'm thinking of making lunch but...I'm feeling a bit lazy >.< so I've been thinking of it for half an hour already hehe

I was just informed that someone I know was harrassed by her boyfriend on FB... He cussed her out and mentioned something that is personal and have no place on Facebook. What a jerk! And deaf people have drama issues????

FB has turned out to be the biggest drama-filled social network I've ever been in. A friend of mine actually used some posts on FB for a court trial cause the boyfriend of a friend of his started threatening his life. Sure the threat might have been an empty one but people are going crazy more and more these days so you never know >.<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back