What ADA requirements would you like to see...

Roadrunner

Reaction score
What ADA requirements or regulations would you like to see get more attention or get stricter or improved?

Such as:

--Is the laws regarding Interpreters/Interpreting fair and easily accessible?

--Is captioning readily available and sufficient (good enough) through the media, shows, movies?

--Are Employers giving equal job opportunities fairly for Deaf applicants?

--Are certain 'rights' under the ADA law in the workplace enforced or properly accessible and used?

--Are devices such as TTD's or phones with volume settings accessible in the workplace, hospitals, police stations, schools, hotels and in other public sectors that provide services to the general public?

--During situations where discrimination has taken place, does the laws complied under the ADA satisfactory and justifiable?

There are many other aspects and regulations that also may need more attention, get stricter or put out in front to improve immediately...share those also for what you feel is urgent or of such importance to act upon now which could definitely help each one of us in a world that is predominately (majority) set in a hearing culture....

I would like to see that more strict on Interpreters as some people are not so aware what we need. "Worrying about money costs when they do not know that they get that money back from tax return." Some times they would denied our sugget to get an interpreters or say " I don't know how to get one"

And closed caption and TDD at hotels, Some hotels do not have service provide for the Deaf/Hoh.

I think it should be left alone. We've got enough people abusing the system.

VamPyroX said:
I think it should be left alone. We've got enough people abusing the system.

What do u mean by that?

Last week I found 28 hotels around Disneyland that do not have TDD's. I passed that info to my attorney Morse Mehrban who's made the news as a 'shakedown attorney'.

I 'enforce the ADA' in which many deafs should be doing. I dont care if others say I 'abuse the system' or am 'lawsuit happy'. I'm just an ADA enforcer.

Richard Roehm

Last edited:
Interpreters :smash:

I personally think that ADA is not being a bit tough on trying to get across to people all around our country on having an interpreter whenever we need them....It's seem to me that Deaf people are struggling on trying to get an interpreter on job interviews, job meetings, hospitals, small clinic etc....when people out there are not so aware of the laws under ADA, and I feel that the laws are limited to get people to understand the need to do so without any excuses whatsoever....It's not only our job to teach those people out there, but with more tougher ADA laws working better which then more people would be aware of our needs and rights as set fourth under the guidelines and laws of ADA....Afterall, we wouldn't be having too many lawsuits as we have today!! :smash:

I believe that Nesmuth ,

My sister and I go on the road for the rib cook-offs and we do stay at hotels/motels....and serveral of them do not provide any tty/tdd, alarm clock, doorknocker etc....and they also are not aware of the ADA laws either....

It's seem to me that ADA laws are not quite tough enough as regular laws are to others....so, I believe that ADA laws need to get a bit sticter and spreading out more information to these type of public services like hotels/motels etc.... :smash:

would like to see the admedment on application to have tty notice marker !!!! damn it !! lol

I think that most people do comply by ADA laws but the problem is LACK OF EDUCATION.

To any person unfamiliar with ADA laws, it looks so complicated.

Most mom and pop hotels/motels are not familiar with it as opposed to national chains. They lack resources to borrow TTYs or whatnot from other motels/hotels to be able to split up fees of incurring devices, etc.

Most of doctors or lawyers refuse to get interpreters because they always compare the interpreter fee to the fee of a visit. For example a visit may be 75.00 and getting an interpreter for one hour would be 60.00 and they scream foul. But what they need is learn how to budget the accommodation costs in their fiscal year budgets or use tax breaks.

Last but not least of all, most ADA violations occur in small towns where only interpreters they can find are usually educational interpreters and cannot get away to terp at other types of settings.

Bottom line - Resources and Education will go a long way in having ADA being complied fairly and appropriately.

We've got enough people abusing the system by making lawsuits, accusations, etc...

If we make it more strict, people will abuse it more as well.

Meg said:
I think that most people do comply by ADA laws but the problem is LACK OF EDUCATION.

To any person unfamiliar with ADA laws, it looks so complicated.

Most mom and pop hotels/motels are not familiar with it as opposed to national chains. They lack resources to borrow TTYs or whatnot from other motels/hotels to be able to split up fees of incurring devices, etc.

Most of doctors or lawyers refuse to get interpreters because they always compare the interpreter fee to the fee of a visit. For example a visit may be 75.00 and getting an interpreter for one hour would be 60.00 and they scream foul. But what they need is learn how to budget the accommodation costs in their fiscal year budgets or use tax breaks.

Last but not least of all, most ADA violations occur in small towns where only interpreters they can find are usually educational interpreters and cannot get away to terp at other types of settings.

Bottom line - Resources and Education will go a long way in having ADA being complied fairly and appropriately.

Good points Meg! *ahems*...Ever consider yourself in the running for being the National Spokeperson for ADA?! ;)

I do believe that there is indeed a lack of education which also means that there is a lack of awareness...education goes to showing mostly to the business sectors the know-how, having the tools to utilize such regulations are in place and provided with so the lives of Deaf/Hoh individuals won't go thru unneccessary difficulties in obtaining their needs or rights...as for lack of awareness, that IS our obligations (duty) to fulfill and get the 'word' out so that education can reach out to a larger number of the population....

I would like to see TTY's in public facilities such as hotels, pay phones, etc. But I'd say the biggest problem is captioning. Very few movie theatres have captioning. A lot of times you have to drive an hour away just to see a movie. That's ridiculous.

I agree with Meg that there needs to be more education about ADA.

I also agree with Vampyrox that too many people jump on the lawsuit bandwagon rather than trying to actual resolve problems. Lawsuits give business people a negative impression of ADA requirements and goals. That approach turns off people who want to understand and support ADA.

Reba said:
I agree with Meg that there needs to be more education about ADA.

I also agree with Vampyrox that too many people jump on the lawsuit bandwagon rather than trying to actual resolve problems. Lawsuits give business people a negative impression of ADA requirements and goals. That approach turns off people who want to understand and support ADA.

I don't use lawsuit on people who doesn't know about ADA Law, but even if you explain to them about ADA Law they still do not get it. It's better if ADA Law was informed to everyone that way we all wouldn't have a problem getting items we need.;)

HI All,

My hospital have CC'd on hospital TVs even loaner TTY from the hospital adaptive office. because my doctor ordered "ADA equipments for deaf/legally blind patient room". most hospitals have pay TTY booths every lobbies area.

make a plans, call motel or hotel to inform reps, "please bring TTY and closed caption on TVs" when you're nearing reservation date, they'll get loaner TTY from the agency center. once you arrived in hotel or motel, the reps checking in on the computer show "ADA Equipments" and will bring to you and take to your room.

Back