Wearing of hearing aids or ci's when flying

martyns

Reaction score
Although I believe there are no restrictions about the wearing of hearing aids or cochlear implants when flying (please correct me if I am wrong on this!) I know somone who takes out her hearing aids when she is "up in the air", because of the sound of the plane's engines. What do you do when you are flying? Have you done things differently on occasions?

Although I believe there are no restrictions about the wearing of hearing aids or cochlear implants when flying (please correct me if I am wrong on this!) I know somone who takes out her hearing aids when she is "up in the air", because of the sound of the plane's engines. What do you do when you are flying? Have you done things differently on occasions?

I keep my HA on so I can hear hostess incase of an emergency!

When I was in San Antonio and Houston International Airport. I wore my HA on during flying. But I switched off because it's too loud and hurt ears. I used gum to chew help not get earache in your middle ear.

I've never had a problem wearing my HAs whilst flying, I like to hear what's going on.

Spent 31 years flying all over the world using HAs then CI/HA, There were no problem whatsover but I do take my CI off when going through metal detector. I also do suffer from silence with HA's after landing due to air pressure in my ears which is usually too painful to pop but with CI i still can hear clear as day as the electrodes bypasses the middle ear.

Usually when i am on the plane my HA is switched off and my CI is usually plugged into the Ipod for the peace, I am either asleep or reading.

I always kept my HAs on while flying. The other day, I flew with the CI (this is the 3rd time I flew while having the CI). And I almost took them off because there were TWO babies on board.....

Holy moley.. the vocal cords on those babies!

I usually just wear my HA and CI, although after a few hours i might turn them off for peace and quiet. Then get bored of the quiet and turn them back on again, or put them on TC and listen to some music....

There are no restrictions for people to wear HAs or CIs while flying since they are not considered electronic devices.

I've flown numerous times with CIs and HAs without any problem.

I take my hearing aid off on the plane cause of the change of air pressure when the plane is in the air. If I leave hearing aid on with the earmold in, my ear gets VERY uncomfortable. And I can't stand the sounds of the plane either so I'm deaf!

I keep my HA's on. Otherwise I cannot hear the announcements or the flight attendant. There is a little added noise but that comes with anything or anywhere there are extra people. The jet engine on the inside of the plane isn't as loud as you would think with HA's, its the people talking that drive you nuts lol

I keep my HA's on. Otherwise I cannot hear the announcements or the flight attendant. There is a little added noise but that comes with anything or anywhere there are extra people. The jet engine on the inside of the plane isn't as loud as you would think with HA's, its the people talking that drive you nuts lol

And crying infants/children. :giggle:

I never really thought about it. I think I keep my HAs on unless I want to sleep.

On planes, I usually turn my implant off before I board and put it on when we get to baggage reclaim. But i always keep my HA on even though it doesnt work properly in the air due to air pressure or something. The reason I dont wear my implant as because somebody or My Ci centre told me I couldnt wear it due to it interefering or something

On planes, I usually turn my implant off before I board and put it on when we get to baggage reclaim. But i always keep my HA on even though it doesnt work properly in the air due to air pressure or something. The reason I dont wear my implant as because somebody or My Ci centre told me I couldnt wear it due to it interefering or something

You do not need to turn off your CI during takeoff or landing. You can also continue to wear it during your flight.

I'm pretty certain that your CI center did not tell you not to wear your CI. CI centers tend to be well educated in regards to rules and regulations as they apply to CIs.

Back