We have many advantages of being deaf

Really? Why does one watch a TV programme if one isn't interested? Who is "clueless"?

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Dude!! She does not want to watch, but she wants to enjoy the company of her hubby. She will sit comfortable knitting while hubby enjoys the TV, but they still get to spend time together. Get with the program here!!

Enjoying knitting while being with hubby who watches a TV programme. Suggestion-subtle: Dancing with Stars OR YOU think YOU can Dance OR Dance your ass OFF!?

Enjoying knitting while being with hubby who watches a TV programme. Suggestion-subtle: Dancing with Stars OR YOU think YOU can Dance OR Dance your ass OFF!?

I sometimes watch Dancing with Stars in anticipation for wardrobe malfunction

Ah, but see, that's not on every night. She's also not talking every night, just on the nights when he wants to watch something specific that she's not interested in. At that point, she can do her knitting or something and just enjoy the flickering lights. Now, on the flip side, she may want to watch something that he's not interested in, then he will have to suffer through the noise unless she's loving enough to turn off the sound. Who knows, maybe he build puzzles while listening to an IPod or MP3 player. Ya never know.

Two people share one tv in one room, my husband and me. We have only one tv. The captions stay on constantly, that is to say that we do not turn them off at all. So since I am deaf I can ignore the program that my husband chooses to watch. A hearing person would not have this perk. A hearing person would have to hear the chatter, gunfire, or whatever else was being broadcast. I can sit here being happily deaf with only the warm, flickering colors radiating from the tv screen. No bang - bang. Does that explain it simply?

Did anyone else have trouble getting the perk? Should I have reworded?

Nope. Perfectly clear to most of us.:cool2:

Really? Why does one watch a TV programme if one isn't interested? Who is "clueless"?

I think you may be having difficulty with the concept of someone wanting to enjoy another's company even though they are not engaged in the same activities. I would imagine that is an experience you have never had.

I think you may be having difficulty with the concept of someone wanting to enjoy another's company even though they are not engaged in the same activities. I would imagine that is an experience you have never had.

I think he has difficulty accepting anything positive people say about being Deaf or about Deaf culture. Or at least that's the impression I'm getting.

I think he has difficulty accepting anything positive people say about being Deaf or about Deaf culture. Or at least that's the impression I'm getting.

A very accurate impression.:roll: That very attitude is what leads me to believe that people are not going out of their way to spend time in his company. People tend to avoid others with such objectionable attitudes, and I daresay it no doubt pervades his thinking regarding anything he doesn't agree with.

Oh well more pseudo screen diagnosis on my real bilateral deafness. Is this a reflection of "militant deaf'? Real friendly.

Oh well more pseudo screen diagnosis on my real bilateral deafness. Is this a reflection of "militant deaf'? Real friendly.

You just proved my point. I made a general observation that you don't seem to react well to anyone saying positive things about being Deaf or about Deaf culture and you instantly said I've made a pseudo-diagnosis of your bilateral deafness. No, I didn't. I've no doubt that you're bilaterally deaf. I'm describing how you respond to certain things people say here or at least my impression of how you respond and I'm instantly labelled as Deaf Militant.

If you would like me to troll through your posts and point out examples of what you've written that gave me that impression, let me know.

Here's another advantage: I do not have to hear the crappy music coming from another person's car on the road.

Here's another advantage: I do not have to hear the crappy music coming from another person's car on the road.

There are young guys who soup up their little Hondas with these super duper speakers and when they pull up next to me, my car would vibrate from the bass of their music. sigh.

There are young guys who soup up their little Hondas with these super duper speakers and when they pull up next to me, my car would vibrate from the bass of their music. sigh.

yeah the vibrations get annoying fast, sometimes even the apartment vibrates.
I can hear some of it but the vibrations even Lee notices and he's not that aware when he's occupied.

One advantage of being bilateral deaf and having a Cochlear Implant-easy to revert to silence-disconnect one's implant. Real quiet!

Hey, Drphil, thats a pretty good one! Can you think of a few more good things about being deaf?

Having been bilaterally deaf since December 20, 2006- not much more to consider. Dealing with that fact does offer few options. In the end your choice which you effect.

Implanted Sunnybrook/Toronto Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Back