We have many advantages of being deaf

I was diagnosed at age three and was not verbal at all until age seven... I'm now 20 and in college.

I am HoH, so these are a few instances when I wished I had no hearing:

Hearing a certain generation use the word "awesome" to excess.
Hearing, like, another generation, like, use the word "like", like every other word.
Hearing "educated" people say something like "me and him was going to the mall".

Needing a *cringe* emoticon here right now!

true biz ;)

LOL the crying babies one is the only one I can think of right now..when people have screaming children or crying babies it pierces through my head, probably because higher pitched noises really hurt my ears because they're harder for me to hear >< so I switch my hearing aid off lol

I just thought of another, my dogs bark REALLY loud, even without my hearing aids I can hear them o_O that's how loud it is lol when they're going for a walk one of them goes mental and starts spinning round and barking constantly, so I switch my hearing aids off XD

I just thought of another, my dogs bark REALLY loud, even without my hearing aids I can hear them o_O that's how loud it is lol when they're going for a walk one of them goes mental and starts spinning round and barking constantly, so I switch my hearing aids off XD

My dog knows that if he did that, I would go mental on him. Onetime and he never did it again. Although I agree, it was a cute doggie he had his eyes on!!! :giggle:

My dog knows that if he did that, I would go mental on him. Onetime and he never did it again. Although I agree, it was a cute doggie he had his eyes on!!! :giggle:

LOL aww, I've tried going mental on mine, it doesn't work, I think he just thinks I'm joining in with him or something :P

I have always considered my hearing disability as a negative thing. I am 50% hearing in ear only. I can hear a person speaking within 2 meters, everything else is mild noise.

I think that this is an interesting. There are advantages too. In my view:
- I don't have to keep my attention to all other people around me.
- I can neglect what some other people are saying.
- Immense ability to concentrate for a long period of time.
- Sleep through thunder storms (as pointed out by others).
- Analytical thinking (I am a programmer and statistician).

The drawbacks are:
- You have to 'defend yourself' that you have a small social circle (some people expect you to know a thousand people and it feels like an accusation).
- Some people feel annoyed if don't hear them.
- You have to keep yourself motivated all the time in an environment suited for and run by hearing people. E.g., getting and keeping a job is tough.

I am OK with my hearing disability, but I would like to hear at least slightly better.

Back