Watching the Growth of Walmart Across America

wow that's spreading like wildfire!

My brother said yes, they already built Walmart stores (two years ago) in Guatemala, El Salvadar, Honduars, Nicaragua and Costa Rica. He and I will go there later this afternoon.

Wal-Monster is like a fugus. Practically springs up overnight.

I love their low prices but i hate the fact that their employees are treated like crap, small mom and pop chains have been swallowed up, unable to compete and foreign workers that the corporation employs toil in virtual slavery for chump change. It's a lethal catch-22. I save but others lose.:roll:

Check out this documentary: About Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price

I do shop at WalMart, heard recently on my local news channel most people turn to WM instead of Target. Most people said, Target is a bit pricy in comparison with WM prices is bit less expensive.

I do shop at WalMart, heard recently on my local news channel most people turn to WM instead of Target. Most people said, Target is a bit pricy in comparison with WM prices is bit less expensive.
That's true.

I still shop at Target, but for a few things. If they have DVDs that are cheaper, I'll go there.

Sometimes, they sell television shows on DVD with free $5 gift cards from time to time. While the DVD may cost more, the $5 gift card makes the overall value cheaper than the cheapest competitor. I simply save all the gift cards and use them on snacks or other DVDs. :)

Our local Wal Mart gets my vote today. This morning I bought (on SALE): a 40 ounce bag 'Mini Mix'. Snickers, Milky Way, 3 Musketeers, Milky Way, Midnight and Twix mini chocolate candy bars, that just happens to fit perfectly next to my computer chair on a table. :giggle:

That's true.

I still shop at Target, but for a few things. If they have DVDs that are cheaper, I'll go there.

Sometimes, they sell television shows on DVD with free $5 gift cards from time to time. While the DVD may cost more, the $5 gift card makes the overall value cheaper than the cheapest competitor. I simply save all the gift cards and use them on snacks or other DVDs. :)

Yes, that's very true. I forgot about the gift cards that sometimes come with the merchandise. I did get a free gift after , I bought my Kodak Digital Camera from Target.

Yes, some food items are less expensive at WM it still a good store to shop, for example snacks, drinks, misc. etc..

My brother said yes, they already built Walmart stores (two years ago) in Guatemala, El Salvadar, Honduars, Nicaragua and Costa Rica. He and I will go there later this afternoon.

We went there. Wow... Walmart in Costa Rica is so much different than here in MA. We don't have supermarket here, only mini (really small), for instance. I go to Walmart to buy feminine products/household necessities but not clothes. I don't like their clothes because their materials are so cheap and they can wear out fast after one year.

Wow, I knew they grew rapidly in the 80s and 90s, but the mid to late 90s were just RIDICULOUS!

ASDA in Europe (United Kingdom, Etc.) is owned by Wal-Mart. I believe that was where Wal-Mart got some ideas to combine grocery, clothing, drug stores into one building.

Yes, they borrowed from the European 'hypermart' concept and decided to call it a 'Wal-Mart Supercenter'.

The supercenter nearest me also has a full mechanic garage, a complete gas station, plus the whole supermarket & deli, and other departments such as clothing, housewares, and so forth. It is ridiculously HOOGE!

Also adding that ours has McDonald's, a nail salon, hair salon, optometry (eye doctor) center where you can get glasses made as well. Also a photography place for family photos, a bank, and a full-service pharmacy.

You can litterally get everything you need at Russellville Wal-Mart in Russellville AR. Freaky Cat can vouch for this. Her Wal-Mart in Morrilton is wimpy compared to the Russellville one, and they are less than 30 minutes apart yet they are both 'supercenters'.

Now if they'll just demolish all the Inland Empire Wal-Marts and build supercenters....

yeah.

walmart is for suckers that dont know what quality is. Things like their bikes are total junk

I prefer to buy used stuff off of Craigslist. That way you can pretty much sell it for what you paid for.

walmart is for suckers that dont know what quality is. Things like their bikes are total junk

I prefer to buy used stuff off of Craigslist. That way you can pretty much sell it for what you paid for.

their bikes are the reason why underprivileged people are able to get around. beside - I rather use walmart bikes to get around and park in NYC than use my "real" bike.

My family and I dont trust or shop at wal mart anymore due to the reasons of the employeers being treated poorly at Wal Mart especially with some customers as well.

My mom told me one time as she heard on the news about a former employeer from Wal Mart who has health problems and one day she got into a bad car wreck and cant work for awhile and when she was an employeer at Wal Mart she has health insurance for her medical bills and such, and one day Wal Mart found out they were paying more than they expected for her medical bills and they sued her and then won the case. Right now the former employeer is struggling like hell to survive with medical bills since she cant even walk anymore and such. Wal Mart dont really care about people with their health. they only care about money and that's all they are ever after.

If you also remember correctly, one of the couples who asked one store to make a cake for adolf hitler campbell and they refused as it obviously would bring problems to the store as worried of getting a bad rep or whatever. So they went to WALMART instead and they made a cake for adolf hitler campbell instead.

They dont care about the name, see...just the money.

So yeah...that's part of why I quit working at Wal Mart a couple years ago.

Yep, walmart bikes are total junks. I have a few of them rusting in the backyard myself.

Well.. some of the Schwinn stuff might be pretty good if you can convert it or modify it to your needs.

But that's about it really. They are really "beater bikes" like Jiro said, good for the purpose of riding a bike, but in the sense of excelling at biking, no way. You'll easily get smoked on a walmart bike vs the real deal bikes out there.

Sometimes walmart/target bikes are put together incorrectly as well, you have to be careful with that and inspect it.

That's an interesting story you're sharing Steel.. What about the good perks of Wal-mart? Was there anything good in working for them?

Yep, walmart bikes are total junks. I have a few of them rusting in the backyard myself.

Well.. some of the Schwinn stuff might be pretty good if you can convert it or modify it to your needs.

But that's about it really. They are really "beater bikes" like Jiro said, good for the purpose of riding a bike, but in the sense of excelling at biking, no way. You'll easily get smoked on a walmart bike vs the real deal bikes out there.

Sometimes walmart/target bikes are put together incorrectly as well, you have to be careful with that and inspect it.

That's an interesting story you're sharing Steel.. What about the good perks of Wal-mart? Was there anything good in working for them?

Funny that u mention about bikes since I used to work on bikes in the back of Wal Mart...

After there were some issues with my job as a sales associate on the sales floor of the toys dept, such as that there were poor communication with the customers who speak too fast or mumble on such things and being very impatient with me and such so they moved me to the back of the store to work on bikes and yet some people say it wasnt working out for me since some people were returning bikes...and they took the blame on me but you know what? most of the bikes they returned were NOT the bikes that I built. I built children bikes...not adult bikes and they returned adult bikes that turns out to be utter crap and complaining that they werent fixed right or whatever so they were just looking for someone to blame and I guess that was me since I'm a "deaf guy" so yeah they figured its not for me and put me into the foods dept expecting me to clean fridges so thats when I had enough of their crap and call it quits cause they dont do anything right.

But anyway...the only "good perks" about wal mart is that u get to make some good money yeah but other than that, you still get to be treated like crap no matter how hard you work at your job.

their bikes are the reason why underprivileged people are able to get around. beside - I rather use walmart bikes to get around and park in NYC than use my "real" bike.

they can find deals and garage sales and swap meets. The quality of the walmart bikes are atrocious: the brakes barely work, way heavy, bearing are junk, etc. The same goes for the rest of the crap they sell. Its just garbage with shiny paint

Back