Watch for Hurrricane Sandy on East Coast

blizzards can knock down trees and power lines and this can slow up plowing snow a lot. this show a city plow truck getting stuck in snow . You're wrong emergency responders can't always zip right through snow like a magic.

Snow plow gets stuck and hits parked car - YouTube
I fully expected the driver to get out the other side...(think Russia)... by looking at this piece of junk plow. The only time I have heard of snowplows getting stuck in Minnesota is when they went off the roadway. On the east coast, they tend to use salt to clear the roads, at least from my experience.

Exactly! It is IMPOSSIBLE to plow the flooded water. No way anyone can do that but with 4 feet snow dumped, just plow it and problem solved. Im saying it is easier to manage though blizzard than heavy rain storm with high winds.

Exactly, with hurricane caused flood right, can you plow it? Of course NOT, so therefore you cant drive anywhere with flooded road, no ambulance can go though so the emergency responding takes much longer on other hand, with blizzard, okay can you plow the snow? Of course, they have done that, opens the road up for emergency responders in no time. That can't be done with hurricane.

Ok, I still never heard of plowing waters. I think maybe they meant using power pumping waters like subway workers are working around the clock using pumping the water out of subway lines.

Typical deductible means you may X amount before Insurance start to cover, it is almost like co pay when you see doctor.

Normal Storm, like blizzard for instance, the deductible for property damages can be anywhere from 500 dollars to a thousand dollars, depending on policy.
BUT if you got Hurricane policy, there is no such thing as just 500 or 1,000 dollars deductible, you gotta to pay minimum of 10% then insurance pay the rest of 90%, sometimes as high as 50%. So, say, with ten percent deductible, and it cost $150,000 to rebuild a house, you first need to pay $15,000 before insurance start to pay the rest. This applies ONLY on Hurricane insurance coverage.

I'm not understanding about the deductible thing here in this thread. If I were to make ANY kind of claim (providing, of course, it is covered) with my property insurance, there is the inevitable deductible.......

Guess a lot people don't get my point. Your giving an example which only maybe block just a block of a neighbor while with Hurricane flooded entire town thats worse, and it takes much longer to drain the water out while snow with tree fell off, okay, just get stupid chain saw cut it off and use one of truck to pull the tree outta of way, and plow it clear snow, done in just few hours, can't do that when entire areas are flooded.

You prefer hurricane, then stay there. I am staying up here waiting and ready for Blizzard.

Exactly, with hurricane caused flood right, can you plow it? Of course NOT, so therefore you cant drive anywhere with flooded road, no ambulance can go though so the emergency responding takes much longer on other hand, with blizzard, okay can you plow the snow? Of course, they have done that, opens the road up for emergency responders in no time. That can't be done with hurricane.

blizzards can knock down trees and power lines and this can slow up plowing snow a lot. this show a city plow truck getting stuck in snow . You're wrong emergency responders can't always zip right through snow like a magic.

Snow plow gets stuck and hits parked car - YouTube

Sad! Yes, flood is the most expensive damage of all. That is why most insurance refused to cover them.

On the TV news tonight they interviewed an elderly woman, and toured her destroyed house. She said FEMA would give her $1,700 to fix it, and her insurance would pay only $5,000 because she didn't have flood insurance. Her house (which looked about 1,000 sq. ft., two-story) was gutted. It will probably have to be rebuilt completely. She doesn't know how she will pay for it. :(

Typical deductible means you may X amount before Insurance start to cover, it is almost like co pay when you see doctor.

Normal Storm, like blizzard for instance, the deductible for property damages can be anywhere from 500 dollars to a thousand dollars, depending on policy.
BUT if you got Hurricane policy, there is no such thing as just 500 or 1,000 dollars deductible, you gotta to pay minimum of 10% then insurance pay the rest of 90%, sometimes as high as 50%. So, say, with ten percent deductible, and it cost $150,000 to rebuild a house, you first need to pay $15,000 before insurance start to pay the rest. This applies ONLY on Hurricane insurance coverage.
From the link in your post # 372:

While a typical homeowners policy has a deductible of a flat fee like $500 or $1,000, hurricane deductibles are a percentage of total home value, typically 1 to 5 percent. A $400,000 shore house, with a 5 percent deductible, would have out-of-pocket costs of $20,000.
Damn, I feel sorry for FLA homeowners.

diehardbiker - if you are in Alabama and the blizzard comes, so you will be trapped in for few days, because we don't have snow plows at all, nothing at all and we are very unprepared for blizzard. The blizzard occurred in 1899 and 1993.

For me, I'm between tornado and hurricane, both of them are equally bad, also more common in Alabama.

You just said it! You said just few days, Look at NYC, and NJ already passed 2 weeks still clean up effort going on and it is not yet over.

Blizzard is rare in Alabama, up here we have seen enough and the plow truck is everywhere and police cruisers usually SUV or 4WD vehicles.

When my dad comes up here right after severe snow storm, he asked me why the hell everybody goes on with their lives even as if nothing happens. Even school, churches, etc STILL open and business as usual. He was terrified with tons of snow and wondering why people still drive and shopping right after snow storm. I told him, we are used to it and it is really nothing. Only small problem is too many idiot drivers speeding on slickly icy road!

diehardbiker - if you are in Alabama and the blizzard comes, so you will be trapped in for few days, because we don't have snow plows at all, nothing at all and we are very unprepared for blizzard. The blizzard occurred in 1899 and 1993.

For me, I'm between tornado and hurricane, both of them are equally bad, also more common in Alabama.

I fully expected the driver to get out the other side...(think Russia)... by looking at this piece of junk plow. The only time I have heard of snowplows getting stuck in Minnesota is when they went off the roadway. On the east coast, they tend to use salt to clear the roads, at least from my experience.
Down here, they just spread sand. We don't have plows or snowblowers.

Some cases, salt is the worse. If temperature drops below 15 degrees, salt becomes less effective, and can turn to deadly slippery ice spots Many New England states don't use much salt, they prefer sand, including here in New York. Often they use different chemical than salt to melt snow. I forgot what it was called.

You just said it! You said just few days, Look at NYC, and NJ already passed 2 weeks still clean up effort going on and it is not yet over.

Blizzard is rare in Alabama, up here we have seen enough and the plow truck is everywhere and police cruisers usually SUV or 4WD vehicles.

When my dad comes up here right after severe snow storm, he asked me why the hell everybody goes on with their lives even as if nothing happens. Even school, churches, etc STILL open and business as usual. He was terrified with tons of snow and wondering why people still drive and shopping right after snow storm. I told him, we are used to it and it is really nothing. Only small problem is too many idiot drivers speeding on slickly icy road!

NYC + NJ are very bigger and more crowded, so that why took long time to clean it up and restore the power.

In your area, I guess that blizzard is just usual and naturally cause in NY.

For me, I prefer earthquake to other disasters, and hopefully, the building that where I live in won't collapse down, however I will gladly to clean any messy that went fell down.

NYC + NJ are very bigger and more crowded, so that why took long time to clean it up and restore the power.

In your area, I guess that blizzard is just usual and naturally cause in NY.

For me, I prefer earthquake to other disasters, and hopefully, the building that where I live in won't collapse down, however I will gladly to clean any messy that went fell down.
Are you crazy? Earthquakes are the worst. It can easily damage gas pipes underground as well as bridges while hurricanes/tornadoes and blizzards can't.

Jiro is correct. Most NYCers don't have cars. If you live in NYC and want to own your car, then I wish you good luck with car insurance..it is much higher than you think.

yep. veeeeerrrryyyy high. NYC insurance cost for motorcyclists is around $2,000 while it's $200-300 for NJ.

in snow.... we use snow plow
in flood... we use boat/helicopter

yep. veeeeerrrryyyy high. NYC insurance cost for motorcyclists is around $2,000 while it's $200-300 for NJ.
Other reasons for NYC residents not buying a car are lack of parking spaces and excellent public transportations. I remember hard times to find a parking space when I visited NYC.

Are you crazy? Earthquakes are the worst. It can easily damage gas pipes underground as well as bridges while hurricanes/tornadoes and blizzards can't.

No, I'm serious and I had been in earthquake for rest of my life.

Exactly! It is IMPOSSIBLE to plow the flooded water. No way anyone can do that but with 4 feet snow dumped, just plow it and problem solved. Im saying it is easier to manage though blizzard than heavy rain storm with high winds.

no.. not really. not even gonna bother quibble around with you on this.

you really think it's easy to do that in city? I know from experience.

Guess you can't read well. Im just saying ANY (FKING) WHERE meaning it could be anywhere! I have work for few companies, they never have single server on site, they always have back up server somewhere else in case the onsite gets screwed up like sandy.

Notice, this site never went down during the time of Sandy, mind you, Alex is in NJ and Sandy got hit hard, why nothing happens here on Alldeaf? Its cause Alex had another server somewhere else and it is normal for owners like Alex NOT to reveal the location. You see, nobody move and work in Montana, you may be surprised! Often owners would set up back up server where no one ever think of where.

Don't assume there is nothing up in Montana, we will never know.

There are millions of servers all over the world!

no..... you cannot just pick any data center. Huffingtonpost website won't even work well if they chose data center in middle of nowhere because it does not have the technical resource to keep up with huffingtonpost's demand.

oh btw - here's an info of AD server - http://www.alldeaf.com/announcements/4583-server-specifications.html

and you can easily find out where the server is... I thought you know this stuff... I mean it's 101 basic stuff for anybody in IT job.

Back