VRS question

interpreter

Reaction score
I have a question about vrs and deaf callers. Maybe someone can give me some insight.

Why do some deaf callers tell the interpreters not to announce that this is a vrs call? I think I am a good interpreter, but it is very awkward for me to voice naturally in these calls.

Sometimes, the deaf caller does not sign clear and while I'm clarifying, I hear the hearing caller saying "hello? are you there?"

I'm not trying to control the call, nor am I putting down anyone who decides to do this, just trying to understand why they think this would make a smooth call?

Thanks.

I have a question about vrs and deaf callers. Maybe someone can give me some insight.

Why do some deaf callers tell the interpreters not to announce that this is a vrs call? I think I am a good interpreter, but it is very awkward for me to voice naturally in these calls.

Sometimes, the deaf caller does not sign clear and while I'm clarifying, I hear the hearing caller saying "hello? are you there?"

I'm not trying to control the call, nor am I putting down anyone who decides to do this, just trying to understand why they think this would make a smooth call?

Thanks.

I think they reason why deaf callers don't want the interpreters to annouce "this is VRS Calling" and when they call someone and often times deaf people call someone they get hanged up on, because on the other line people thinks VRS relay service were sale people so they hung up. I hope that help clarifying that. I know some deaf don't sign clear other do sign very clear with good signing skills. Each deaf and hoh signs differently. :)

problem is that the person who answer and is not understandable what "relay service" is. So, the business would need a part of education to understand what kind special service is.

Most in NY are familiar with relay service, thank to NY provide the "ads' to education them about relay service

the major problem when I make the call with the business person who is foreign, always hang over relay service when it announcement. It was difficult for me to confront them and explain about what relay service before I able to order something in future.

I would think that some deaf people do not know how to write their English so they are not able to use their TTY. I can't figure it out how they passed their exam at school. They are too embarrassed that their grammar is so poor.

I have a deaf friend who graduated from a private school, and she never email to me except a video phone. I cannot ask her about it.

I thought that you were referring to VRS as a Vocational Rehabilitation Service instead of a Video Relay Service.

When I call someone on a video phone, after 20 minutes of chatting I feel really tired to look at the video phone. Don't you ever feel that way?

I would think that some deaf people do not know how to write their English so they are not able to use their TTY. I can't figure it out how they passed their exam at school. They are too embarrassed that their grammar is so poor.

I have a deaf friend who graduated from a private school, and she never email to me except a video phone. I cannot ask her about it.

I thought that you were referring to VRS as a Vocational Rehabilitation Service instead of a Video Relay Service.

When I call someone on a video phone, after 20 minutes of chatting I feel really tired to look at the video phone. Don't you ever feel that way?

Some deaf have very low educational levels, it denpend on what school they were sent to, and other do pretty well with their educational background. I know some deaf people reading skills like 4th 5th grade reading and writting skills than normal high school reading levels as well as college too. When I use relay service on TTD or VP ,,, people that I called through relay hang-up and and mistake relay for sale people, so had to call back and tell relay service please explain to them you are interpreting for me and do not hang up.

There are many other reasons people prefer to use VRS instead of a TTY. For one thing, it is much faster - it takes a long time to use text relay services. They can also get a better idea of the hearing person's emotions because the VRS interpreter will convey that. Some people write English just fine but ASL is their native language and they prefer to use ASL. (Being fluent in ASL does not mean you are not fluent in English.) It's just a matter of personal preference...it has nothing to do with being embarrassed about grammar. Otherwise there would not be so many people posting on AllDeaf!

Thanks.
In some cases it is more trouble than it's worth to announce, like when you just want to order a pizza. Other times they have had a bad experience calling this person before, because the hearing person thought the VRS terp was a telemarketer (I get this one a LOT!) and so they don't want it announced because it will throw the person off. Yes, people say "hello? are you there?" all the time, but you just have to get very good at filling in. That's a skill that is special to VRS, filling in on the phone. How long have you been doing VRS? You get used to it eventually.

you're off the topic, it's about announce to mention "relay service" to the hearing who receive the call. Most deaf have request to not mention about relay service but regular speak to avoid to lead hearing to think it's junk call.

For my personal preferance, when I'm ordering something thru VRS, or sometimes some bill payments, I rather for VRS interpreter not to explain and just talk as it is. Other time, if its to a regular hearing person who have not experienced VRS, might get hung up once in a while, but I'm more patient to allow VRS to explain their role to regular caller, not when I'm ordering. I do not like being hung up more than once, which results in for me to go in person to the place I attempted to order from. I don't like conflicts, just trying to go as smoothly as possible. Or sometimes, like in middle of ordering, explain the role as VRS and they cannot hang up once they realize they have customer on the phone! $$$!

It depends on the person's preference on whether to announce VRS call or not. Mostly, its related to ordering, so don't worry too much about it! :) Keep up your best and interpret for the caller! :)

Or sometimes, like in middle of ordering, explain the role as VRS and they cannot hang up once they realize they have customer on the phone! $$$!
You make a really good point. Sometimes when somebody says "oh I'm not interested" then I say really quick "but I have a CUSTOMER on the phone" or patient, or member, whatever it is. It is very helpful when someone says "I'm calling the doctor's office" because then I can say "a patient is calling" or something like that. It helps me communicate to the hearing person much better.

You make a really good point. Sometimes when somebody says "oh I'm not interested" then I say really quick "but I have a CUSTOMER on the phone" or patient, or member, whatever it is. It is very helpful when someone says "I'm calling the doctor's office" because then I can say "a patient is calling" or something like that. It helps me communicate to the hearing person much better.

Yeah, that's better way for letting him/her know before making a call. Like personal and business conversation.

Thanks.

I only do request it when I'm calling family members who have gotten VRS calls a thousand times...it saves time. As for the hearing person saying "H ello? anyone there?" - you simply be faithful to the message and interpret whatever you hear - which would indicate to me, the signer/caller, that someone isn't getting my message across and I need to do something fast.

I only do request it when I'm calling family members who have gotten VRS calls a thousand times...it saves time. As for the hearing person saying "H ello? anyone there?" - you simply be faithful to the message and interpret whatever you hear - which would indicate to me, the signer/caller, that someone isn't getting my message across and I need to do something fast.
I disagree that it means there is a problem with the interpreter. Sometimes it is just the normal lag time with interpreting. Some people are very impatient. If the hearing person asks a question, and I am still signing it, but they do not hear an answer, they will start to say "hello are you there?" very quickly. It is hard for me to interpret when they say this, because I am still signing the question to the deaf person! If a hearing person does not hear an answer right away, they think something is wrong. Usually if they say "hello are you there" I say "yes, just a moment" while I finish signing the question. It tells the impatient hearing person that I am still connected, and at the same this lets me finish telling the deaf person what the question is!

So it isn't really a problem with the interpreter. Usually it just means the hearing person is impatient when they say that. Maybe they forget they are on a VRS call!

Thank you for the responses. I'm still not sure how to handle this, however, I have been thinking of just transferring the caller to another interpreter. Maybe I can figure out how to handle these types of calls in the future.

Thank you for the responses. I'm still not sure how to handle this, however, I have been thinking of just transferring the caller to another interpreter. Maybe I can figure out how to handle these types of calls in the future.
Yikes...I don't know what VRS company you work for, but at the one I work for, that would not be acceptable. For my company, transferring calls to another interpreter is a last resort for when you absolutely cannot work with the person, not just because they asked you not to announce. Additionally, the company I work for keeps track of everything. If they feel you are transferring too many calls to other interpreters, they will mention it to you.

Remember, being a VI is about doing what the customer wants. It's much more "customer service" oriented than regular interpreting. You are there to provide the service the customer is asking for, not to say "oh I can't handle this" and pass it off to someone else.

I'm not trying to be mean here, I understand how frustrating it is to struggle with a hearing person because the deaf person told you not to announce. Believe me, there are a LOT of frustrations in the life of a VI! But working around those frustrations is part of the job description.

If you want to PM about this with me I might have some more ideas for you...but I don't think sending calls to another interpreter is a good option no matter what company you work for, since deaf callers don't usually like to be transferred right away.

You are right to ask for clarification, that was awfully vague of me!

I guess by "more customer service oriented" I meant "more ass-kissing oriented." I feel the pressure from two sources. First is my employer, they really stress that we should be perfect all the time - we must always be in a good mood and smiling, we must always interpret as perfectly as possible, we must always comply with anything that is requested of us, and if someone yells at us we should take it with a smile and accept whatever they say. The second source is the FCC, via the consumers. The FCC calls for functional equivalency, and if you are anything but a direct conduit, the consumers get irritated. Here's an example: sometimes a caller will get mad at you if you ask them to turn on additional light. Now, it should be plainly obvious that if I can't see you, I can't interpret for you, so many people are happy to open a curtain or whatever is needed. But sometimes they act like it is their right to sit in a dark room if they want, and it's my fault if I'm not good enough an interpreter to interpret while they're sitting in the dark.

In a RL (community) interpreting situation, you have more control over how things are done. You can position yourself, adjust lighting, etc. On VRS you either shut up and deal with what you're given, or someone will make you feel bad for asking them to change.

So that's what I meant. There is more ass-kissing and "whatever you say" in VRS. In RL interpreting, you get to be a little more human.

(All this is only my perception, other VIs may feel differently...but it's how I feel.)

You are right to ask for clarification, that was awfully vague of me!

I guess by "more customer service oriented" I meant "more ass-kissing oriented."
Aack! I guess "more customer service oriented" does sound better! :lol:

I feel the pressure from two sources. First is my employer, they really stress that we should be perfect all the time - we must always be in a good mood and smiling, we must always interpret as perfectly as possible, we must always comply with anything that is requested of us, and if someone yells at us we should take it with a smile and accept whatever they say. The second source is the FCC, via the consumers. The FCC calls for functional equivalency, and if you are anything but a direct conduit, the consumers get irritated. Here's an example: sometimes a caller will get mad at you if you ask them to turn on additional light. Now, it should be plainly obvious that if I can't see you, I can't interpret for you, so many people are happy to open a curtain or whatever is needed. But sometimes they act like it is their right to sit in a dark room if they want, and it's my fault if I'm not good enough an interpreter to interpret while they're sitting in the dark.
Got it. :)

Yep, and terps should be able to hear what people are whispering in the next room, in Russian, and sign that, too! :lol: Oh, yes!

In a RL (community) interpreting situation, you have more control over how things are done. You can position yourself, adjust lighting, etc.
Umm, up to a point. Yes, I've worked in photo dark rooms, kneeling on floors, balancing on stools, scrunched between computers, in dimmed rooms with spot lights blinding me, outdoors in all kinds of weather, in hospital rooms, and running. :rofl:

At least you're safe from physical threats if the client gets upset. (I'm not young but I can still duck and dodge if necessary.) :P

On VRS you either shut up and deal with what you're given, or someone will make you feel bad for asking them to change.
Seriously, I understand that you are under a lot of pressure.

Ok, maybe I won't transfer the call, but you see how my frustration is. I would rather terp a conference call than have to do this kind of call.

Back