Vp-100

AquaMaiden

Reaction score
Anyone a VP-100 user? Is it worth it? What are the benefits? Dicuss....

I want one but at this point i can't due to no HSI and no DSL and No Cable and im in a shitty area that doesnt support any of those just plain old dail up theres no speed in this area gawd! only hawaii pardise park and thats 10 mins away from me oh well sigh...

Umm... could you be more specific? What's VP-100?

AquaMaiden said:
I rather see what others' personal opinoins are, their experinces, are, etc....

I have tried it -- my opinion is that it's not worth being stuck with one relay provider (at least with the D-Link, it's a choice, and I stated my choice) and one list that can only call other VP-100 users unless you know the other person's IP address.

AquaMaiden said:
Anyone a VP-100 user? Is it worth it? What are the benefits? Dicuss....

we have one and my daughter loves it

VP-100 are worth it...it became MUCH easier for my communication between friends and family...I would say it is recommend to own...My suggestion best with large sized television with VP-100 is best way...

VamPyroX said:
Thanks! :thumb:

I've never used it and I don't plan on getting one. I'm not your typical expert ASL signer. I'm mixed and I do better through TTY or AIM. That's why I'm not crazy for these things.

Yes...more and more deafies are becoming lesser using tty due to relay online on computer....I knew many deafies removed long distance plan from their phone bill not worth it because of arising number of usage on computer...mean VP-100 are spreading rapidly...to be honest 75 percent of my friends circle ALREADY owned it and it is unbelievable....so mark my word...you will need it someday even u thought not needed right now...anyone with high speed internet can get VP-100 but before you can order...you will be provided with link to test the high speed internet kp...

If you want VP-100 just to talk with people end to end, sure, go ahead, but if you are looking into Video Relay, get D-Link DVC-1000 as I like various choices of VRS (Ex. SprintVRS, HOVRS, HamiltonVRS, and you still can use SorensonVRS with D-Link)

Hope this answer your question

BigSpike said:
Yes...more and more deafies are becoming lesser using tty due to relay online on computer....I knew many deafies removed long distance plan from their phone bill not worth it because of arising number of usage on computer...mean VP-100 are spreading rapidly...to be honest 75 percent of my friends circle ALREADY owned it and it is unbelievable....so mark my word...you will need it someday even u thought not needed right now...anyone with high speed internet can get VP-100 but before you can order...you will be provided with link to test the high speed internet kp...
I already have a high-speed connection. In fact, I'm using Internet2... which is one of the fastest connections around.

This year, almost every dorm room that contains at least one deaf student... will have a VRS. That's gonna be bad news. Why? Everyone is gonna be staying in their rooms and chatting with each other through VRS. Signing to another is what makes people want to go outside instead of chatting through AIM. Now, people are more likely to stay inside because they can sign to their friends and see their friends anyway... through VRS. That's what I think might happen because I've already seen it happening to a few of my friends.

I think hearing peeps need this technology as well. :) Would be nice to just talk and watch each other. Like on Star Trek. lol

I want to get this, too, knowing some of my oldest friends use it to keep in touch. Of course, I'd have a need to keep things balanced. It's the people who are responsible for themselves, not the technology. So I don't have anything against this sort of technology. :) People just need to learn, that's all. I live in Norge, and I would really like to see my old friends and family literally without spending a buck on long airline trips all the time.

For now, I use MSN to webcam with a few pals-- sometimes to use ASL convos, altho I do need to pace my signing so the webcam will capture everything. Bleh.

VamPyroX said:
I already have a high-speed connection. In fact, I'm using Internet2... which is one of the fastest connections around.

This year, almost every dorm room that contains at least one deaf student... will have a VRS. That's gonna be bad news. Why? Everyone is gonna be staying in their rooms and chatting with each other through VRS. Signing to another is what makes people want to go outside instead of chatting through AIM. Now, people are more likely to stay inside because they can sign to their friends and see their friends anyway... through VRS. That's what I think might happen because I've already seen it happening to a few of my friends.

Yes I do agree with you and it is no question about it...but it is good for my friends who lives in distance away...for example, I get connected to my good friend who lives in west during I live in east, then VP-100 is perfect, it help us understand body language and able to get full picture...of course it do have pros and cons....I use VP-100 wisely and balance...I dont like use VP-100 if I got friends around local or region within my area then it would sound silly....but it depends...if you need to discuss something shortly with local people via VP-100 then it wud worth it....

BigSpike said:
Yes I do agree with you and it is no question about it...but it is good for my friends who lives in distance away...for example, I get connected to my good friend who lives in west during I live in east, then VP-100 is perfect, it help us understand body language and able to get full picture...of course it do have pros and cons....I use VP-100 wisely and balance...I dont like use VP-100 if I got friends around local or region within my area then it would sound silly....but it depends...if you need to discuss something shortly with local people via VP-100 then it wud worth it....
RIT is already having problems with a lot of things. Before, everyone used TTYs and the front desk (information desk) of Tower A (Ellingson Hall). By 2000, many people started using AIM so the number of help provided at the front desk... decreased. By 2001, they removed all access phones and pay phones from Tower A. (Access phones are phones that people use to contact a resident in a dorm room of that same dorm building... sorta like an intercom system. By 2003, they installed in-wall access phones. This Fall, they will be using the front desk for different purposes due to help being no longer needed. When they renovated Tower A in 2000, they removed the front lounge... where people always socialize. Now, it's gone... so the social atmosphere has gone to almost none. One of these days, we're gonna be doomed!

My experience with my VP-100 has been great, I could see friends face to face signing to each other, also seeing video relay in live to make calls just like a interpreter making a call for you. I have a 27" TV to my VP-100, it's pretty smooth fps and good picture, so I ain't complaining.

my question about that ... does it require to have computer or not nesscary as hook up cable modem ???

Back