Vp-100

knightwolf68 said:
my question about that ... does it require to have computer or not nesscary as hook up cable modem ???
you must have high speed internet, and yes it does hook up to the modem

knightwolf68 said:
my question about that ... does it require to have computer or not nesscary as hook up cable modem ???

You will not actually need a computer -- but you will need to be paying for DSL / Internet Cable / other forms of high speed internet w/ good upstream and downstream capabilities (at least 128k, 256k or more is better).

Sometimes people are fooled by Satellite or DISH - based internet -- yes, it is high speed DOWNSTREAM capability, but upstream is in most cases still dial-up which means that the person who wants to see you will be getting a terrible picture (freezing up, low quality, stuttering, etc.) while you're seeing them fine.

The good benefits overall for VP that it save your trip of gas and mileage ;)

I plan to have one I have DSL they say need more speed so we have to call the Verizon for more speed up

do you have to pay extra on your internet to make this to work.Also how much does the devise run around.How do you fing out the other person adress etc, even though you dont know like a dating thing. :thumb:

you just need high speed internet

Hi, I've applied for a VRS two weeks ago and I haven't gotten any responses at all which they said they'll contact me soon within two weeks. I've sent a email after awhile of not hearing from them. I don't know how it works to get a friggin' response and hope I'll get my free VRS. Do they have a waitlist or something??

Help me :(

SeattleDeafGrl said:
Hi, I've applied for a VRS two weeks ago and I haven't gotten any responses at all which they said they'll contact me soon within two weeks. I've sent a email after awhile of not hearing from them. I don't know how it works to get a friggin' response and hope I'll get my free VRS. Do they have a waitlist or something??

Depends on who you applied through. I'm going to assume that you're in the state of Washington:

If you applied through Sprint, to find out where you are on the waitlist, the best thing to do is to email your state relay manager.
www.sprintrelay.com

http://www.sprint.com/business/products/products/popup/popupRelayServiceNumbers.jsp

Dan Brubaker, Account Manager, Sprint
701 Pike Street, Suite 2100, Seattle, WA 98101
(888) 655-3514 TTY, (866)410-5787 EXT 89962 Voice,
206-254-5138 Fax
Email: dan.brubaker@mail.sprint.com

If you applied to another VRS service, you'd have to contact their helpdesk or something, one thing I liked about Sprint was that the manager info was easy for me to find, I can't seem to find specific names to contact about your area.

SeattleDeafGrl said:

I do know that most VRS companies have a waiting list, and there's the installers. Some installers aren't timely. You will have to continue emailing the VRS company to remind them not to forget you. Which VRS company you applied at for a free VP-100?

Deaf258 said:
Which VRS company you applied at for a free VP-100?

I know you probably didn't mean it, but there is only ONE company that distributes the "VP-100" device. The rest of them all distribute the D-Link DVC-1000 "D-VP" device.

So, I think your question really is, "Which VRS company did you apply through for a free videophone?"

1) Sprint
2) Sorenson
3) Hamilton
4) Hands On VRS (HOVRS)
5) IP-Relay VRS

Additionally, some STATES give out D-VP's to their state residents if you qualify, so you don't even need to go to a CORPORATION. I found out a few weeks ago that Arkansas and Mississippi are among those states that do this. You just contact their equipment program or VR or whatever and they'll get you all set up.

I'm soooooo mad that I can't just ask the state of Missouri to give me my D-VP. Those corporations always have waiting lists, while I just filled out a form and got my TTY (and later my CapTel phone) in 4 weeks.

Imagine this: You apply for a D-VP through the state, they tell you it's "slow" but you'll get it in a month, wheras with the corps, it can be fast or it can be forever stuck on a waiting list. Gah.

Last edited:
High speed internet is all that is essential in owning a Videophone system. A computer is nice to use for configuration purposes.

Every friend of mine owns a VP of some kind. It rocks.

I also got vp-100.. it just got installed 2 weekend ago.. I enjoyed chat with a old friends who I haven't seen since they live out of state.. another reason why I like viedophone is to use relay so I can interrput the call if someone made errors... Altho I still use tty relay or online relay most of time I don't rely on them because of many error.. when I show up doc's office Im either early or late I said wait.. you said this.. she or he said no i said this blah soo i gave up I either go in office to make an appt or email.. now I got VP-100 so I feel better calling the doctors for my son's medical relate.. Sunday I called his doctor for the first time and I did enjoyed but was very Klutz! lol in a time I will get used to it (i only made 1 viedocall with relay!)

Wendy

Deaf258 said:
I am not asking you!

I wasn't correcting it for your benefit, but for everyone else's. I did not mean to offend you.

It does create problems when people refer to videophones as VP-100's because that is NOT their common name -- it's a product name of a company's equipment. If you tell someone to "call my VP-100" when you have a D-VP, you're not going to get any calls because they're different systems that use separate phone number directories.

It's like calling ALL tissue paper "Kleenex" when Kleenex is a BRAND of tissue paper. Or ALL cotton swabs "Q-Tips". Or ALL pain medicine "Tylenol"

"Honey, while you're at the store, please pick up that Tylenol medication I like so much" "You know you're allergic to Tylenol. Do you mean Advil, Aleve, Asprin, Ben Gay, what?" "Yeah, that's what I meant, you know what I mean when I say Tylenol, that means headache meds, right?"

VamPyroX said:
Thanks! :thumb:

I've never used it and I don't plan on getting one. I'm not your typical expert ASL signer. I'm mixed and I do better through TTY or AIM. That's why I'm not crazy for these things.

Analog phone lines will be out in approximately year 2007. Sorenson is preparing the deaf community for changes in technology. I'm running Sorenson VP 100 and found it to be extremely useful for my career interaction with hearing people. My true intent are interpreted accordingly with expressions and it gives you the ability to interrupt during the conversation where it is not possible in TDD. You will be able to detect the resopnse of that individual whether it be hostile, friendly or whatever. I am currently advocating Sorenson or any VRS services and applaud their effort.

2007? That's a really, umm, aggressive timeframe, considering Sorenson isn't a telecom company. They don't install broadband lines or even partner with companies that do install data lines.

Video isn't being adopted by the general public home users just yet.

Even the phone companies like AT&T, Sprint, Hamilton, and MCI don't think that'll happen in the near future, especially since they have no idea when 9-1-1 capabilities will come to VRS. I'm sure they have most of the infrastructure set up to be ready to make analog lines go away, but I don't think there just isn't enough demand for video to get rid of analog for quite some time.

I believe that analog phone lines ARE NOT scheduled to go the way of the dodo just yet. However, LinuxGold, if you have a source that says 2007 is a date that'll happen, I'd like to see it. Thanks!

By the way, I do fully support VRS and video services, I just don't think it'll happen that quickly. Don't forget, the FCC is in charge of all this. If they say goodbye, VRS will go away. Don't let that happen! Write to the FCC today!

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/complaints.html

Email: fccinfo@fcc.gov

Include:
1) Your name, address and the telephone number or numbers involved with your complaint; (if telephone related)

2) A telephone number where you can be reached during the business day;

3) Specific information about your complaint, including the names of all companies involved with your complaint;

4) Names and telephone numbers of the company representatives that you contacted, the dates that you spoke with these representatives, and any other information that would help process your complaint;

5) If telephone related, include a copy of the bill(s) listing the disputed charges;

6) What type of resolution are you seeking?

Last edited:
Dennis said:
2007? That's a really, umm, aggressive timeframe, considering Sorenson isn't a telecom company. They don't install broadband lines or even partner with companies that do install data lines.
I didn't say that Sorenson is. :)
Video isn't being adopted by the general public home users just yet.

Even the phone companies like AT&T, Sprint, Hamilton, and MCI don't think that'll happen in the near future, especially since they have no idea when 9-1-1 capabilities will come to VRS. I'm sure they have most of the infrastructure set up to be ready to make analog lines go away, but I don't think there just isn't enough demand for video to get rid of analog for quite some time.

I believe that analog phone lines ARE NOT scheduled to go the way of the dodo just yet. However, LinuxGold, if you have a source that says 2007 is a date that'll happen, I'd like to see it. Thanks!

It is just an estimated date. Government is preventing the UNEXPECTED should it occur earlier than the estimated date.

By the way, I do fully support VRS and video services, I just don't think it'll happen that quickly. Don't forget, the FCC is in charge of all this. If they say goodbye, VRS will go away. Don't let that happen! Write to the FCC today!

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/complaints.html

Email: fccinfo@fcc.gov

Include:
1) Your name, address and the telephone number or numbers involved with your complaint; (if telephone related)

2) A telephone number where you can be reached during the business day;

3) Specific information about your complaint, including the names of all companies involved with your complaint;

4) Names and telephone numbers of the company representatives that you contacted, the dates that you spoke with these representatives, and any other information that would help process your complaint;

5) If telephone related, include a copy of the bill(s) listing the disputed charges;

6) What type of resolution are you seeking?
Hmm... I'll get onto it now! Thanks! :)

I can safely opine that if you have VP-100, youre going to be stuck with Sorenson VRS.

Richard

Back