Vp-100

Nesmuth said:
You can buy a videophone from many electronic stores.

You're right, but you can't buy the VP-100 from anyone except Sorenson.

There are many videophones out there, like the D-VP (D-Link DVC-1000 Videophone) Richard linked. However, the VP-100 is solely a Sorenson distributed product and, well, it's not for sale in stores.

It's entirely up to you to decide if you want a D-VP or VP-100 or something else. Hearing people aren't the target of mass marketing that Sorenson or HIPVRS or HOVRS or Sprint or CSD are making.

Wonder if deafies have VP-100 and hearing have Vp-1000 or D-VP they will work smooth as well without problem like frozen, slow motion, or whatever? Are Vp-100, Vp-1000 or D-VP have Exactly same thing like chat, vp relay, answer machine, or whatever? Any Con or Pro between Vp-1000 or D-VP? I check the price of Vp-1000 cost 199 dollar which Nesmuth gave website. But not sure about D-VP price.
Mommyof3

i have used it one time at my friend, I enjoyed it. I'm getting one soon in January. :)

Mommyof3 said:
Wonder if deafies have VP-100 and hearing have Vp-1000 or D-VP they will work smooth as well without problem like frozen, slow motion, or whatever? Are Vp-100, Vp-1000 or D-VP have Exactly same thing like chat, vp relay, answer machine, or whatever? Any Con or Pro between Vp-1000 or D-VP? I check the price of Vp-1000 cost 199 dollar which Nesmuth gave website. But not sure about D-VP price.
Mommyof3

There is no such thing as a "VP-1000". There are generally two popular devices for deaf videophone use:

The "D-VP" is the DVC-1000 from D-Link.

The "VP-100" is the VP-1000 from Sorenson.

There ARE OTHER videophones out there, but a) they are more expensive, or b) they have terrible video quality. I can give a listing if you PM me.

The pros and cons of the two devices, in my opinion, are listed below:

D-VP
---------------
Pros:
-Compatible with all VRS services that use .TV service. You can choose which one you want!
-The quickness of connecting to a VRS interpreter will depend on which VRS service you choose.
-Apply to receive free from CSD, HIPVRS and SprintVRS if you're deaf or serve deaf
-Easy to call others who have D-VP

Cons:
-$150-199 retail price if you're not deaf or do not serve deaf (specials can be found online and in stores)
-Does not have any VRS buttons built in
-You need to use IP addresses to call friends who have VP-100's

VP-100
---------------
Pros:
-Comes pre-programmed with a button to Sorenson VRS
-Free from Sorenson if you're deaf or serve deaf
-Easy to call others who have VP-100.

Cons:
-Can ONLY get from Sorenson
-Limited only to Sorenson VRS
-As a result of being limited to Sorenson VRS, the length of time to connect to an interpreter for VRS is a LONG wait
-Need to use IP addresses to call friends who have D-VP's
-Unknown $$$$ to purchase VP-100 if you are not deaf or do not serve deaf people

----------------------------------

Do you have a link to apply for the one from sprint?

You would have to apply through your state Sprint Account Manager. See, instead of filling out a form and not hearing anything for months, you contact the person directly in charge of your state and they REPLY BACK TO YOU.

Look here:

http://www.sprint.com/business/products/products/popup/popupRelayServiceNumbers.jsp

WAIT. Hmm. Sprint doesn't have the Arizona account. Okay, contact this person:

David Strom,
800 N. Haven Ave, Ste. 210
Ontario, CA 91764-4915
Email: david.d.strom@mail.sprint.com

He's the representative for AZ from Sprint.

Nesmuth said:
I got fax from Sorenson Media attorneys today! They're saying the court documents on HOVRS vs. Sorenson Media are 'defamatory'. They demanded me to retract everything and remove the documents off our website.

I tell them this, get real!

Watch my message on this issue next week in ASL at our OTF Mall website!

Richard

Post the fax here, naming the attornies, address, etc. You haven't rock the boat. :bj: That lawsuit is nothing now.

A Sorenson rep hooked up a VP-100 in our home today. The very first call made was to demonstrate their VRS skills. We had to WAIT for a callback! HAHAHA! Go figure!

The lens zoom is too far out. I had to sign HUGH LETTERS with both hands in the air for my callers to see! So, I swapped the lens from our DLink DVC-1000 and that's much better. Quality isn't all that much better. The call logging will be nice, but that's just a software update if DLink would ever be allowed to use it. Both, the DLink and Sorenson remotes work!

First thing I did was add "_SprintVRS" to the speed dial. :)

Steve

VamPyroX said:
Thanks! :thumb:

I've never used it and I don't plan on getting one. I'm not your typical expert ASL signer. I'm mixed and I do better through TTY or AIM. That's why I'm not crazy for these things.
Yeah, I'm the same way and I understand perfectly. My good friends encouraged me to get it, but I've been shying away from it because I have the same reason as you do. :aw:

Katzie said:
Yeah, I'm the same way and I understand perfectly. My good friends encouraged me to get it, but I've been shying away from it because I have the same reason as you do. :aw:

u can tell the terp/operator that u prefer to sign english, SEE or whatever. and they would adjust 4 u.

net0man said:
u can tell the terp/operator that u prefer to sign english, SEE or whatever. and they would adjust 4 u.

One of the ways I do it is that I sign to the interpreter to the interpreter to call my phone number. Then, I use my voice (it's called Voice Carry Over/VCO over VRS) to talk for the rest of the calls I make.

I have also asked the interpreter to only do oral interpreting -- do not sign, only mouth the words. *shrug* I don't do it often, but it's that extra little bit of help that works for me.

If your deaf and want to buy from this link, poor you sucker! There is free Dlink videophone device availaable for what? F R E E! Either though CSD or Hamilton VRS.
For hearing... well, that does not apply you.

Nesmuth said:
You can buy a videophone from many electronic stores.

Or check this site http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=8

and order one.

Richard

diehardbiker65 said:
If your deaf and want to buy from this link, poor you sucker! There is free Dlink videophone device availaable for what? F R E E! Either though CSD or Hamilton VRS.
For hearing... well, that does not apply you.

I've heard that deaf people do buy through the site so that they don't have to deal with the free companies. They don't want to feel obligated or pressured to use VRS from those companies. Sure, it's free, but why bother with the hassle if you've got the cash?

Dennis said:
One of the ways I do it is that I sign to the interpreter to the interpreter to call my phone number. Then, I use my voice (it's called Voice Carry Over/VCO over VRS) to talk for the rest of the calls I make.

I have also asked the interpreter to only do oral interpreting -- do not sign, only mouth the words. *shrug* I don't do it often, but it's that extra little bit of help that works for me.

I use VCO when Using VRS also

Dennis said:
I've heard that deaf people do buy through the site so that they don't have to deal with the free companies. They don't want to feel obligated or pressured to use VRS from those companies. Sure, it's free, but why bother with the hassle if you've got the cash?

I got my dlink dvc1000 a few days ago. I'm laughing since the vp is a refurbished unit along with refurbished router. The vp has lots of stickers and numbers all over it, even a label that says "Property of (censored)".

Back