Vent about rude things hearies do

I wear my hearing aid on my left side so I hate it when someone ask me if they can hear me as one guy would "test" me as asking me if I can hear him on my left then turned to the other side and asked me if I can still hear I said yeah...even I can still hear from behind. :roll:

I took some ASL courses at RIT years ago. The reason is why I have to take it because I want to communicate with deaf people in ASL there (We still contact or visit each other since then...) and also, I was very interested in learning in ASL and deaf culture from them. I do have deaf, HOH, and hearing friends (included the terps) who are signing with me and of course, I sign with them, too but I don't criticize them for their English grammar or something like that. One thing is that I have met hearing people who don't sign; I'd not bother them unless they want to learn ASL and then, I will be more than happy to teach them some ASL, encourage them to take some ASL courses at the university and be friends with them.

Oh, I forgot to add that there were no deaf people in my small hometown. None... My childhood was not happy there because of this.
I met Gina Oliva at the Deaf Senior Citizens conference in West a few years ago. We chatted, it was SO nice to know her and she said she is selling her books there, which I bought from her. Gina wrote a book called "Alone in the Mainstream, a Deaf woman remembers public school". When I read her book. I cried and cried because her story is very much like mine. I let my mother and my sister to borrow and read it and they told me that they cried, too and same story I had. They understood. They sign with me, to communicate better, not being left out. I recommend that you should read it. You can order it from her (or stop by the book store) at Gallaudet University. Gina is Professor in the Physical Education and Recreation department there.

Oh, I forgot to add that there were no deaf people in my small hometown. None... My childhood was not happy there because of this.
I met Gina Oliva at the Deaf Senior Citizens conference in West a few years ago. We chatted, it was SO nice to know her and she said she is selling her books there, which I bought from her. Gina wrote a book called "Alone in the Mainstream, a Deaf woman remembers public school". When I read her book. I cried and cried because her story is very much like mine. I let my mother and my sister to borrow and read it and they told me that they cried, too and same story I had. They understood. They sign with me, to communicate better, not being left out. I recommend that you should read it. You can order it from her (or stop by the book store) at Gallaudet University. Gina is Professor in the Physical Education and Recreation department there.

It would be wonderful if I buy the book at the bookstore here in Canada. I am wondering if this is the only books that are selling at Gallaudet University and no place else like coast to coast, is it? You are the inspiration to let us know what is like to be the only Deaf in the mainstream or public school. It is really sad that no hearies never understand the importance of being in a Deaf school or mainstream school with special ed. for the Deaf so that we can better understand what we are being taught without losing our way to being frustrate to understand what hearing people try to teach us. The oral method is a no-no. :cool2:

It would be wonderful if I buy the book at the bookstore here in Canada. I am wondering if this is the only books that are selling at Gallaudet University and no place else like coast to coast, is it? You are the inspiration to let us know what is like to be the only Deaf in the mainstream or public school. It is really sad that no hearies never understand the importance of being in a Deaf school or mainstream school with special ed. for the Deaf so that we can better understand what we are being taught without losing our way to being frustrate to understand what hearing people try to teach us. The oral method is a no-no. :cool2:

You can order it online from Gaulladet Press. Or, you can ask your local bookstore to order it for you. Amazon probably has it, too.

[ame=http://www.amazon.ca/Alone-Mainstream-Remembers-Public-School/dp/1563683008/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234548727&sr=8-1]Alone in the Mainstream: A Deaf Woman Remembers Public School: Gina Oliva: Amazon.ca: Books[/ame]

But before you read that thread mentioned by Jolie, I will say they rudely come here and try to take over the conversations.

I came here for more deaf people. I see enough hearing everyday.

Sorry Bottensini for crashing your site, I would like to become more involved with the deaf community and to learn everything that I can about the amazing and beautiful language. Trust me, I am not a typical hearing person.
(PS this isnt supposed to be mean like it comes off as, im just explaining why im here):aw:

Vent about rude things hearies do...
I am hearing
don't worry about insulting me
i want to know what not to do
you know there are tons of things so just get on with it..

So from your above post, you did not really want me to tell you what bothered me?:hmm:

I dont see anything in this thread that upsetted another ADer about deaf people being disrespectful towards hearing people. :dunno:

(1252502)

It's ok, Botti. I think what he means is that he didn't want you getting worked up and feeling offended.

From what it seems, he was open to criticism and he took it well.

Edit: Not just Botti, but he meant each and every else of us AD'ers as well.

I dont see anything in this thread that upsetted another ADer about deaf people being disrespectful towards hearing people. :dunno:

I didn't either. I only said I did not like hearing to come try to take over conversations.

It's ok, Botti. I think what he means is that he didn't want you getting worked up and feeling offended.

From what it seems, he was open to criticism and he took it well.

I wish people would be blunt and say exactly what they mean.

To me it looks like they said, "I hope you feel guilty, because I am a special hearing person."

Yeah, that's why I wish sometimes people could be a little more specific or add details when they post. When you just post a few words or 1 line questions, it can get interpreted the wrong way..

I try to make my posts as detailed as possible to be suitable for all audiences. And I try to avoid the best sarcastic remarks I can come up with just for the sake of respect for some.

PS. Sorry but that's just some of us hard of hearing and/or deaf people. Hearing may be able to pave their ways with simple responses that can convey a lot..
But to a deaf person, often we try be in detail as we have one less form of communication. Thus we might not as "wise up" to what someone's saying the moment they say it.

Hearing may be able to pave their ways with simple responses that can convey a lot.. But to a deaf person, often we try be in detail as we have one less form of communication. Thus we might not as "wise up" to what someone's saying the moment they say it.

You make a good point. We do tend to sugarcoat things, as it were. Soften the blow so as to not hurt anyone's feelings. I know this, because I do it all the time. :| As a hearie, it's pretty difficult to just "switch it off". But I find that if i don't just come out and say what i REALLY MEAN to say, my deaf friends may misinterpret what I'm trying (and most likely failing) to tell them. :2c:

You make a good point. We do tend to sugarcoat things, as it were. Soften the blow so as to not hurt anyone's feelings. I know this, because I do it all the time. :| As a hearie, it's pretty difficult to just "switch it off". But I find that if i don't just come out and say what i REALLY MEAN to say, my deaf friends may misinterpret what I'm trying (and most likely failing) to tell them. :2c:

Yes!!

Back