Venomous spiders found in grapes shipped to Canada

Cheri

Prayers for my dad.
Premium Member
Reaction score
http://canoe.ca/NewsStand/EdmontonSun/News/2004/12/03/763568.html

FREDERICTON -- The increased reliance of U.S. grape growers on creepy-crawlies for pest control is leading to a growing number of frightening encounters. Black widow spiders are now appearing fairly regularly in Canadian fruit bins, including two of the potentially deadly arachnids that recently hitched a ride to the northeastern New Brunswick town of Caraquet.

Seven-year-old Charles Godin and his six-year-old sister, Raphaelle, were the first to discover an unusual-looking spider when they were unpacking grapes from a grocery bag in their Caraquet home. "The spider was alive and walking on the floor. (My friend) Florent caught it in a plastic container," Godin said. The local grocery store where the grapes had been purchased discovered another black widow lurking amongst the red globe grapes from California.

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency's Noella LeBlanc said black widows have recently turned up in grapes sent to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland as well as in New Brunswick. There have also been several incidents in Ontario and further West.

The bite of a female black widow, whose name comes from its habit of eating the male spider after mating, can cause illness and, in rare cases, death in children, seniors and people with compromised immune systems.

The agency says the black widow is distinctive due to its shiny, round body; brown or black colour and two reddish or yellowish triangles in the shape of an hourglass on its abdomen.

:-o eeek! Got to wash our grapes for now on.

whoa stowaways!!! we definately have to watch the food and make sure theres no venomous crawlers on the fruits or any other food items at the stores!

Cheri, there is a newest article which contain the study that reveal grapes is not for human to consume. Interesting.

Anyway back to topic, I am willing to risk myself to eat these spiders along with grapes in hope of becoming a spider-man by infected from their posionous venom. Can't I dream?!?! :P

Awwwww, don't blame the widdle spiders. They are just trying to help.
They are not insects, they are more animal than that.
The deadliest spider in my opinion is a brown recluse spider, and below you can see how tiny it is.
Next to it is one of my faves, the wolf spider.

Attachments

• spider1b.jpg
    spider1b.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 1
  • wolfsizespider2.jpg
    wolfsizespider2.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 1
Back