Vegetarian/vegan children

Opal

Reaction score
I was surprised to see it is popular in Great Britain to introduced vegetarian foods on small children, as my 9 years old niece is strictly vegetarian.

Today I saw 2 choices vegetarian menu and meat eater menu for kid meals at Resturant for children to choose.

I thought it is for adult to chose it but I see my sister and another friend support their children to live as vegetarian. They told me they cook two different meals for them meat eater and vegetarian for the children!

I don't think it is allowed in Australia to support small children such as 9 years old to live as vegetarian! I don't think Australian teachers will like this ideas because I gave my daughter a slim-milk for her school lunch and got a verbal warning from the teachers!! I never seen vegetarian children meals in Australian menu, and I hope my girls don't know about it otherwise they want to be the same as them!

What do you think of vegetarian small children!!!

OMG :shock:

Here in Germany would NEVER support those idea!!!

Those meats are important to strength small children's body but it should be twice a week.

I read the newspaper about vegetarian couple's 18 months old daughter died because they fed her vegetables all the time with NO meats.

You have to take iron or protein pills if you don't like meats. Iron & protein are the most important in the body.

My boys used to be vegetarian after learn that where the meat come from. That's why they won't eat meat. We kept our pateience & teach them why the meat need to eat etc. They do ate meats sometimes which it's good.

Last edited:
Being a vegetarian/vegan or meat eaters are really up to the individual. I was a vegetarian for a couple of years back in 1995 til 1997...nowadays, I don't practise it anymore -- only don't eat much red meat these days. Mainly white meat, like pork, chicken and fish. :) Plus HEAPS of vegetables, yum!

It's okay for adult but not for the children.

I would NEVER support like this to my small children . I would not against if my "adult" children choose to become vegetarian because they can take iron pills to strength their body.

We eat white meat twice a week
We eat red meat once a month
We eat fish every week

Last edited:
PurpleRose71 said:
Being a vegetarian/vegan or meat eaters are really up to the individual. I was a vegetarian for a couple of years back in 1995 til 1997...nowadays, I don't practise it anymore -- only don't eat much red meat these days. Mainly white meat, like pork, chicken and fish. :) Plus HEAPS of vegetables, yum!
Yes you are over 21 and make this decision which is fine with me as I am talking about feeding vegetarian foods to little children such as 9 years old as it is parent's responsible to chose this way.

To be honest with you, I believed this Children themselve need to be TRULY happy than forcing them what to eat and command them to eat...I will tell you why..I did witnessed few occurances this two boys was forced to eat based by command from their parents...it caused them to become depressed...I never urged them to eat WHATEVER they wanted until they have no teeth in their mouth. But most important...is they be happy and stafised than FORCING...know what I mean....at same be good with disciplining them.

BigSpike,

I think you disread our posts.

We are not force our children to eat but educate them why the meats are important because most children don´t want to eat meat after learn where the meat come from. They are animal lovers.

I´m not force my boys to eat meat as long as they were vegetarian. What RedRum pointed out that parents should cook separate between meats & vegetables & resturant etc is not right. I´m patience until my boys tasted meat themselves. Educate the children pros & cons over foods is most important.

What Red Rum pointed is not correct because parents or others should educate the children pros & cons over foods. It´s important.

my son is 2 years old.. he doesn't really like any meat.. so i had to give him protein pills to keep him in shape.. protein is important to ur muscles to develope strength..

Personally, I do not care if parents choose to lead vegan/vegetarian lives and teach their children that lifestyle. It is still the responsiblity of the parents to make sure that the children are still being properly fed or deficiencies addressed with pills or whatever. A lot of vegans/vegetarians are generally educated about the food they consume, so they would know what lacking they need to address to. Some parents love meat a lot and feed their kids a lot of meat, but not enough vegetables. Do we judge them for that too? I think people should mind their own business and only intervene if the kids are being malnourished.

Eating meat is important as it has protein. Also it would be difficult finding vegetarian meals, but that is good news. Personally, I would like to be a vegetarian, but I hate vegies! :P

Vegetarians live on average 10 years longer than meat eaters, and their bodies are much stronger too. My three children have never eaten meat, and they are all very tall for their age, and on the heavier side of the weight range for their height as well. My 11yo daughter is almost my height already at 5'6", my 4yo son is almost at my shoulder and is the same size of a 8yo boy (twice his age!), my 2yo daughter is the size of a 4yo girl (twice her age too). Their iron levels are on the high side of normal (on the verge of too much). People don't realize that there's A LOT of protein and iron in legumes, dairy foods, etc. Sigh.

Tamara said:
I was surprised to see it is popular in Great Britain to introduced vegetarian foods on small children, as my 9 years old niece is strictly vegetarian.

Today I saw 2 choices vegetarian menu and meat eater menu for kid meals at Resturant for children to choose.

I thought it is for adult to chose it but I see my sister and another friend support their children to live as vegetarian. They told me they cook two different meals for them meat eater and vegetarian for the children!

I don't think it is allowed in Australia to support small children such as 9 years old to live as vegetarian! I don't think Australian teachers will like this ideas because I gave my daughter a slim-milk for her school lunch and got a verbal warning from the teachers!! I never seen vegetarian children meals in Australian menu, and I hope my girls don't know about it otherwise they want to be the same as them!

What do you think of vegetarian small children!!!
I don't think it is good idea... Children needs the meat and cow milk to grow up. Hormones require lot of animal protein and fat to manufacture.

Vegetarian Children...

Never allow your small children become vegetarian/vegan? Really, depends for what reason!

My mother regretted so much that all my childhood, she forced me to eat meat because the 'old days' meat is a must for growing.
Although, little she did realised that eating meat/chicken or any animals product was a fatal for me!

I grew up from very small child all the way thru to 18 year old, hospitals was sort of my second home!

Doctors and parents were always baffled why I was so sick almost every second weeks or so. And also my parents both are Deaf, thus back in young days, communicate between Deaf parents and doctors were very lack.

I continued my life very sick, until I turned 18 years old... went to search some answers rather than doctors... I went to naturopathy which they finally found the answer for me. With the diganosed from Naturopathy, I took it back to doctor for further test.

Doctor were surprised that Naturopathy was right at the spot. Animals product were fatal for me, thus I became vegetarian from this on forward and became much very healthy person than i was for 18 years since childhood.

I did wish I was vegetarian when I was very small, so I wouldn't miss out much of my childhood when spending most of time in hospital!

Doctors has researched, that vegetarian small children won't come to harm if feed correctly!

NOW... I am 6 months pregnant, a big question! Should I raise my child as a vegetarian from the beginning? Checking with my doctor that my disease does not pass down to my children, which is a good news but there would be slighty percent it may affect my child.

Upon discussion with my partner, we both end up agreeing that we will feed our child meats BUT if there is ONE sign of illness... become vegetarian full-time.

WHY we agreed feeding our child meats, is because test the child first for any signs, in case if child are vegetarian... goes to a party or somewhere else that may accidently ate meats would be fatal to child without realisation!

It is very difficult debate whether to allow small children become vegetarian unless for health reason, like me.

Do not judge straight away... explore more information before objection to anyone deciding to have their small child to be vegetarian.

Magatsu said:
I don't think it is good idea... Children needs the meat and cow milk to grow up. Hormones require lot of animal protein and fat to manufacture.

I agree with you Magatsu! I don't think children should be raised exclusively on a veggie diet unless there is a medical reason for it.

Down2Earth, I was a vegetarian-child and I had lot of health problems from vegetarian diet. My mom regretted when she changed the diet to vegetarian diet. It takes my body nearly 8 years to repair the damages from vegetarian diet. 8 years. That's long and that's how bad it is. I am still recovering from the vegetarian diet's damages.

Basically... Down2Earth, buy the certificated organic & pasture-feed meats. It will not affect your children's health in any way unless your children have some kind of allergics to meats... but other than that, it is virtually impossible to have any kind of heath condition from consuming certificated organic & pasture-feed meats.

Also be sure to consume the 'good' fats along with organic & pasture-feed meats.

Oceanbreeze said:
I agree with you Magatsu! I don't think children should be raised exclusively on a veggie diet unless there is a medical reason for it.
I concur.

Like allergic to meats. I know one student where I worked with at one of deaf schools. She have this kind of condition which allergic to protein so she couldn't consume anything that have dense measure of protein such as milk, meats, etc.. She have few health problems included nearly unlimited sex drive.

Magatsu said:
I concur.

Like allergic to meats. I know one student where I worked with at one of deaf schools. She have this kind of condition which allergic to protein so she couldn't consume anything that have dense measure of protein such as milk, meats, etc.. She have few health problems included nearly unlimited sex drive.

My three year old niece was born with phenylketonuria, so she has to be on a low protein diet. She also drinks a special milk like formula that supplies her with all her daily requirements. But, her diet mostly is vegetarian.

Oceanbreeze said:
My three year old niece was born with phenylketonuria, so she has to be on a low protein diet. She also drinks a special milk like formula that supplies her with all her daily requirements. But, her diet mostly is vegetarian.
Born with phenylketonuria? Oh dear. It is difficult for her... how is she doing? Also is her bone density in good condition (thru bone mineral density test)?

I'd rather be balance for veggie / meats 50/50 good enough...

If you want eat veggie only... Least you can eat PEANUT.. which it's peanut part of meat group... So isn't harm that way.

*hmmmmmmmm*
Depends their health comes first if proprite meals eating... That's fine.. if not.. so then eat meat/veggie... Their made choices... Not ours.

-

if you guys are not eating meat because you think it is wrong to kill the animal and eat its meat....
then i have one thing to say to you guys....

jesus ate meat. the bible itself says that you are allowed to kill an animal for food.

nothing wrong with it, it has a lot of needed proteins.
Those who are vegetarians know exactly what veggies are lacking and take pills or other sources to make up for the lacked vitamins or proteins.

Back