Using Sign Language Voice Off....

For me, except at work, I am voice off now. Just do it. Make up your mind, smile, and go for it. You will soon see how much easier, less complicated, and peaceful it can be. I must voice at work since I work with ...hearies... in the Hearie sense. lol Often, they will pick up a sign or two. Once the new ones get used to me, they glare at customers who poke fun or dont understand. I simply use the granny glare on those Hearies. Freezes them for seconds. Luckily I dont have two many meanies. Imagine the sign for communicate...now...drop one hand...like braking, falling. That's what voice is like for me. ASL is visual not only for deafies, but hearies actually geddit. (get it). Much, much better than last year when I was total voice.
Good luck and keep smiling. Smiling confuses them. hahaha

Wirelessly posted

GrendelQ said:
OP asked people who use ASL/voice off how they communicate with those who don't know sign language. his post is off-topic and does not answer her question.

Looks like he did exactly that (answering the question):

As noted before being "voice off" is part of the Trappist tradition. In so far as one's social interaction are with person's knowing "sign communication-ASL/BSL et al.- no problem whatsoever. The fall back position would be the use of pen/paper/portable laps. Again no problem-apparently. Then what?

Finally one can immerse oneself in the "quiet solitude" for a more "important activity"-thinking?

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Clarification: a voice-off Deafie who uses sign language as only mode of communicate - how difficult/easy is it to get your point across to someone who does not know sign? Trappist monks are out of equation.

Wirelessly posted

DeafRaptor said:
Wirelessly posted

I am considering slowly transitioning to voice off most of the time. Any tips, hints, tricks etc.?

:wave: Good for you! I am transitioning to completely voice off too. When I am at home, I just sign, but then my sister knows as much sign as I do, so I am in good company (maybe you need to find people to sign with where you don't have to "fall back on" voice). When I am in public, I sign and use pad and paper when signing fails (try to have other alternatives when communication starts to fail). When I am at work I still speak at times when I have to communicate a lot of technical details (don't know signs for those ideas) fast (can't use slower methods) in person (can't use email or instant messenger). I do have interpreters for meetings and training classes and go completely voice off at those times. Go at your own pace and understand that you will have limits, especially at first. I find going voice off to be very peaceful. Good luck.

:happy:

I am slowly transitioning to voice off - it's easier to do with strangers than with people you know. I first went voice off while going grocery shopping, then I included other shops then in restaurants - the more you do it, the easier it gets. Are you learning ASL in the meantime?

When I used to speak, it made it difficult because hearing people assumed I could hear well enough to understand and use speech-reading exclusively. As a result, communication became much more difficult for me. When I stopped speaking (even to my own parents, etc.) and insisted on the others to find a way to communicate with me (sign, writing on paper, etc.), my life became so much easier. Ironic, isn't it?

When I used to speak, it made it difficult because hearing people assumed I could hear well enough to understand and use speech-reading exclusively. As a result, communication became much more difficult for me. When I stopped speaking (even to my own parents, etc.) and insisted on the others to find a way to communicate with me (sign, writing on paper, etc.), my life became so much easier. Ironic, isn't it?

Exactly the same for me! I find it much easier to communicate with hearing people when I go voice off.

Exactly the same for me! I find it much easier to communicate with hearing people when I go voice off.

Lol, what a coincidence. it's much easier for me to communicate with deaf when their voices are off. i think you and i would have some very nice conversations. ;)

Wirelessly posted

Thanks for the support! I think the transition will be hardest with my parents, but who knows? They might suprise me. I am already reasonably fluent in ASL and feel like my communication is "truer" with out my voice.

*trip*

What the??? I wondered where this thread ran off to and now it's back!

I am slowly transitioning to voice off - it's easier to do with strangers than with people you know. I first went voice off while going grocery shopping, then I included other shops then in restaurants - the more you do it, the easier it gets. Are you learning ASL in the meantime?

I am learning more and more Auslan (Australian Sign Language) every day and also learning some ASL too. :D

I am learning more and more Auslan (Australian Sign Language) every day and also learning some ASL too. :D

I would love to learn Auslan! I'm looking up BSL right now. Almost have the manual alphabet down (two handed).

Lordy - I am still working on ASL. Got the alphabet, numbers and about 100-300 words (if I put my brain to the test and really try hard).

Asl

Lordy - I am still working on ASL. Got the alphabet, numbers and about 100-300 words (if I put my brain to the test and really try hard).

KristinaB, as you know I am in the process of learning ASL. I had one session with the tutor. But, I have learned so much from Lifeprint.com
Someone here suggested it and it is amazing. At least you can learn all the necessary words.
I do that instead of my puzzLes. Have you tried it?

KristinaB, as you know I am in the process of learning ASL. I had one session with the tutor. But, I have learned so much from Lifeprint.com
Someone here suggested it and it is amazing. At least you can learn all the necessary words.
I do that instead of my puzzLes. Have you tried it?

I use it daily. I have done all the lessons and I am now repeating them. My issue is remembering them as I have no one to practice with. That changes tomorrow night. I have my first in this area Deaf Coffee Chat.

My son is beginning to learn, but still finds the PS2 and the XBox to be more fun. He's 16. Daughter tries, but her coordination is bad and her memory is worse. She is 17. Hubby has brain damage and can't remember the signs at all and his hands can't form the signs either. Mother has dementia and therefore can't remember much of anything these days. MIL does not think it is needed and wants no part of it.

I still sign as I speak if I know the sign. And I do call them to dinner using ASL only and they understand. I can do other sentences in PSE and they understand me (at least the kids do).

KristinaB. My next session with the tutor will hopefully explain how to put all of these words I have learned into a correct ASL sentence. That is confusing me. I do have my hubby to practice with, however he works long hours and when he gets home is very tired. No one else I know is deaf. Good luck.

Back