US to spend $200 million a day on Obama's Mumbai visit

Status
Not open for further replies.
so in that case - you'll have no problem with HD's business move and they would not falsely labeled such thing.
HD's marketing has been promoted by its made in America reputation. If they aren't made in America, then it would become false advertising. They can advertise honestly but by outsourcing they may lose a segment of their customer base.

I'm not an HD customer, so what they do won't change my buying habits but it could make a difference to others.

This is the explanation:

Harley-Davidson, Inc. (NYSE:HOG) is moving forward with the launch of operations in India to assemble motorcycles for the Indian market from component kits supplied by its U.S. plants,..."CKD assembly operations in India are a natural next step for Harley-Davidson as we build our brand presence around the world," said Harley-Davidson Motor Company President and Chief Operating Officer Matthew S. Levatich. "This investment will allow us to improve our market responsiveness and production flexibility while reducing the tariff burden, which we expect will drive growth over time by making our bikes more accessible to India’s consumers. Given the strong response we have received in the initial months of retail operations, we believe this is the right investment for this important market," Levatich said.

To date, Harley-Davidson India has been importing completely assembled motorcycles from the Company’s U.S. final assembly plants. Once the Indian CKD assembly facility in the Indian State of Haryana is operational, Harley-Davidson India will import CKD kits for select current models, consisting of components produced by Harley-Davidson’s U.S. plants in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and Missouri and by the company’s suppliers. Indian employees at the Haryana facility will then assemble the components into finished motorcycles. Other models will continue to be imported as completely built motorcycles for now.

India will be the second country in which Harley-Davidson has CKD assembly operations outside the U.S., after Brazil where the Company began assembly operations in 1999.

My emphasis is bolded.

See #77

Of course it's legal.

Even now, all vehicle manufacturers make different models for different markets. Each country has different emissions standards, for example, so the vehicles must match the requirements. Then, some countries are left drive, some are right drive. There are some models that don't even exist in other countries.

no but you're telling us something that we already knew for past few decades.

You were implying that... say - HD Sportser or HD Fat Boy... a very popular bike in America... would be manufactured in India and then have it falsely labeled as "Made in America" when sold in America. Your Jeep has "Made in Mexico" on the window... which means it wasn't falsely labeled.

no but you're telling us something that we already knew for past few decades.

You were implying that... say - HD Sportser or HD Fat Boy... a very popular bike in America... would be manufactured in India and then have it falsely labeled as "Made in America" when sold in America. Your Jeep has "Made in Mexico" on the window... which means it wasn't falsely labeled.
I didn't "imply" anything; I thought I clearly explained it.

If you read the release from HD, you will see that I guessed right about them manufacturing the bikes for the Indian/Asian market, NOT for export to the States.

They will probably be marked as "parts from America, final assembly in India," or something similar, which is a common practice today.

If you read the release from HD, you will see that I guessed right about them manufacturing the bikes for the Indian/Asian market, NOT for export to the States.

They will probably be marked as "parts from America, final assembly in India," or something similar, which is a common practice today.

hardly a concern at all.

"select current models" = most likely starter bike or unimportant models.

Wirelessly posted

TXgolfer said:
Beowulf said:
The cost of outsourcing jobs should be exorbitant.

If we lowered wages and restrictions here it might be....

How can lowering wages help?

Seriously, the United States have one of the lowest wages in the Western world. Are you saying lowering it even more have a chance of restarting the economy?

I means... it's hard to compete with Bangladesh where their ONLY resource is human capital.

Last edited:

Seriously, the United States have one of the lowest wages in the Western world.

recall Jclarke's McDonald wage? :eek3:

Wirelessly posted

Seriously, the United States have one of the lowest wages in the Western world. Are you saying lowering it even more have a chance of restarting the economy?

I means... it's hard to compete with Bangladesh where their ONLY resource is human capital.

We were discussing the cost of outsourcing.

Wirelessly posted

TXgolfer said:
Wirelessly posted

We were discussing the cost of outsourcing.

I know, but there come a time where... maintaining an unskiled labour market is no longer feasible.

recall Jclarke's McDonald wage? :eek3:

Meh, Union auto workers making $29 an hour just in wage to push a button on a robot.....then they have pension and a luxury health plan..... That's a :eek3:

so... file a complaint to HD or don't buy HD. Obama didn't tell HD to suckle on India's teet.

Meh, Union auto workers making $29 an hour just in wage to push a button on a robot.....then they have pension and a luxury health plan..... That's a :eek3:

My sister retired from GM, and so did her husband. They did a heck of a lot more than push buttons. They have a nice spread but they are frugal with their money and still cut costs whenever possible.
My father retired from the Air Force long ago, and he lives with Mom in an assisted-living center which costs more than 5000 a month.
See where I'm going?

so... file a complaint to HD or don't buy HD. Obama didn't tell HD to suckle on India's teet.
Who says I have a complaint? I think I posted more than once in this thread that it doesn't bother me. I didn't even mention Obama. You must be confusing me with someone else. :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back