Update on kmjbmama

kmjbmama

Reaction score
Well... Looks like I won't be joining this thread. I got my CT scan results back and the doctor has informed me that I don't have the cochlear nerve in both ears (they never formed) so there is no hearing aids that would help me. No wonder I cannot hear ANYTHING! (At least, we know what the problem is and it is NOT herdity (sp??) so there is very, very slim chance that my deafness could be passed on. The doc did say that there is a brain stem surgery in Califorina that could fix the problem, but the cost is around 65,000 dollars and no insurance covers it right now. Even if we had the $$, I would not want to go through that just to get a little bit of hearing. Especially if they are gonna mess with my brain!! So, I have accepted that I will never hear and I'm moving on (SLOWLY). After all, I'm still me and there must be a reason for all of this. Good luck to all and hope you all have a happy holiday!!

Sorry to hear you've recieved an disappointing news. At least you now know why and that it's not hereditary.

The doc did say that there is a brain stem surgery in Califorina that could fix the problem, but the cost is around 65,000 dollars and no insurance covers it right now.
Do you mean the Auditory Brainstem Implant? I don't think it's brain surgery per se......I've never heard of brain surgery being able to restore hearing.
Plus I thought that they couldn't operate on the brainstem b/c it is so vital for life.
That is so weird that if it is what I'm thinking, that it's not covered by insurance. If CIs are, then ABIs should be as well......I am pretty sure I've heard of people getting them covered by insurance.

look i can't have CI cuz i am too pofound deaf

you are still welcome here smile

I'm sorry to hear that you received this disappointing news. :(

Here is an article which explains what an Auditory Brainstem Implant (ABI) is as well as its potential benefits:

Auditory Brainstem Implant Fact Sheet

AUDITORY BRAINSTEM IMPLANT (ABI)

DESCRIPTION
OF ABI:
The Auditory Brainstem Implant (ABI) is a prosthetic device intended to restore some degree of hearing function to persons deafened by bilateral vestibular schwannomas (tumors on both balance nerves). The ABI is the first device specifically designed to bypass the cochlea and the auditory nerve to transmit sound directly to the brainstem. The ABI is placed directly on the nerve center (cochlear nucleus) at the base of the brain, typically during surgery to remove tumors. After implantation, patients work with audiologists to test and adjust their wearable sound processors as they learn to understand and interpret new sounds. This process is called “mapping.” Since its initial development at the House Ear Institute in 1979, the ABI has been implanted in more than 500 people worldwide. It received FDA-approval as a medical device in 2000, and is the only device that can restore limited hearing to people who have no remaining auditory nerves.

POTENTIAL
BENEFITS
OF ABI:
Most ABI recipients benefit from the device through increased sound awareness. Because few ABI recipients are able to understand speech without lip-reading, the level of performance achieved with the ABI is poorer than that obtained by people with a cochlear implant (CI). However, the environmental and speech sounds that patients receive through the ABI help significantly to improve their communication and quality of life. ABI sound always is most beneficial when it can be combined with lip-reading cues.

CANDIDACY
FOR ABI:
The ABI is designed primarily for patients suffering from Neurofibromatosis Type II (NF2),* a hereditary disease that can cause profound hearing loss through the growth of bilateral tumors on the balance nerves. Because the balance nerves are adjacent to the auditory (and facial) nerves, tumor removal typically necessitates severing the auditory nerve. A cochlear implant cannot be used for these patients because the auditory nerve, once severed, is not able to carry signals from the cochlea to the cochlear nucleus in the brainstem. (*There are rare cases of bilateral absence of the cochlear nerve or bilateral damage to the cochlear nerve from accidents, where an ABI also might be beneficial.)

RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT:
The Department of Auditory Implants and Perception (DAIP) at the House Ear Institute strives to understand and improve auditory prosthetic devices, including cochlear implants and brainstem implants, and to use implants as a tool to understand normal auditory and speech processes. In addition to organizing professional conferences on these topics, the DAIP conducts multiple research projects that include clinical studies of the ABI, an investigative research trial of the penetrating auditory brainstem implant (ABI), frequency mapping of the cochlear implant, training effects in cochlear implants, speech pattern perception, and computer assisted speech training (CAST) for cochlear implant users – tech transfer.

CONTACT INFORMATION: Christa Spieth Nuber
Media Relations and Communications Dept.
House Ear Institute (HEI)
Phone: (213) 273-8027, Fax: (213) 483-8789
E-mail: newsmedia@hei.org

I got my CT scan results back and the doctor has informed me that I don't have the cochlear nerve in both ears (they never formed) so there is no hearing aids that would help me.

kmjbmama:

I am so sorry you received disappointing news. :(

Is a B.A.H.A an option? (Bone anchored hearing aid).

Based on the infomation that kmjbmama gave us, I don't think B.A.H.A will help much. You need the 8th nerve to be able to hear with a C.I. or HA and kmjbmama doesn't have either of those nerves.

Sorry to hear the news, even tho I don't believe in CI.

Sorry about the news

kmjbmama,

Sorry about the disappointing news. I hope you will keep looking for options that may help you to hear. You might want to take a second look at an ABI, if Insurance starts to cover it. Just do what is right for you.

This thread is also about hearing loss and don't feel you can't "join this thread". This thread or rather those that post here have helped me tremendously, to deal with my progressive hearing loss.

Happy Holidays!

My apologies for interrupting this thread.

Moonflower: Have you visited a CI center for a CI evaluation? That's the best (and only) way to determine if you are a good candidate. (If you have, please ignore my post. :))

i think my ear shape is different than yours that why only a guess

I'm not sure, but I don't think that would stop you from benefiting from a CI. When I went for my CI evaluation, they did a CT Scan to make sure I have a cochlea, and the cochlea/auditory nerve. You need a cochlea and cochlear/auditory nerve in order to benefit from CI. I suggest that you go to a CI center to get yourself evaluated for a CI.

Well... Looks like I won't be joining this thread. I got my CT scan results back and the doctor has informed me that I don't have the cochlear nerve in both ears (they never formed) so there is no hearing aids that would help me. No wonder I cannot hear ANYTHING! (At least, we know what the problem is and it is NOT herdity (sp??) so there is very, very slim chance that my deafness could be passed on. The doc did say that there is a brain stem surgery in Califorina that could fix the problem, but the cost is around 65,000 dollars and no insurance covers it right now. Even if we had the $$, I would not want to go through that just to get a little bit of hearing. Especially if they are gonna mess with my brain!! So, I have accepted that I will never hear and I'm moving on (SLOWLY). After all, I'm still me and there must be a reason for all of this. Good luck to all and hope you all have a happy holiday!!

I am sorry to hear that :( but don't give up on your hopes :hug: ..hopefully science could find out better ways of hearing for the deaf/hoh in the near future and plus, even if you don't hear anything you are still welcome to share in this forum :)

Sorry to hear that. Best success in all your endeavors...

Sorry to hear about that.

It's good to hear that you've learned to move on. Not a lot of people can do that. It takes a lot of courage to learn to accept the facts and move on. :thumb:

Back