update on deaf school or hearing school

You took that from something I wrote previously. Voice off kids (meaning kids who only sign, and don't have oral skills) are becoming a lot more rare. My implication wasn't that CSDF isn't voice off. Pure ASL by definition is voice off.....but you're defining voice off as NO oral training whatsoever!

I think you must be confusing me with someone else as I never stated voice off is "NO oral training whatsoever".

Pardon my directness. Can this thread be about the parent and her child? This little squabble isn't very supportive nor productive for her. This is one place where she should at least get that.

Back to the topic.

I'm sorry to hear about the split, as I'm sure it wasn't easy. However, your positive outlook is very inspiring. I look forward to more updates on how she is doing. When you see the mentor, ask if there are any opportunities for her to interact with other deaf kids such as playdates...this would be a good way for you to network with other parents.

I take her to CSDF for their drop in classes, she is currently enrolled in a program near our home, I take her to all deaf events in my area(nit to many here) ... I use thee sign I know constantly...I have exchanged email info to set up play dates with a couple of the deaf families from CSDF...I really am trying to help her and myself to understand and be part if the deaf community. I my self just finished ASL 1. And in January will be starting 2 and a class over the video pphone that CSDF is providing.

Way to go! Glad to hear you got thru ASL 1 already and starting more. Woot!

DBG- while I wholly understand and appreciate what you're saying, I was responding to direct questions and comments that were directed at me. As we all know, if you don't respond within 24 hours on the net, it becomes "the truth". Even when it is a false truth. So, for the sake of clarity it was important for me to respond.

Nancy has a firm grasp on what path they are going to take, and as I stated- I'm happy to read that. She is clearly an intelligent person, and I'd venture to guess that she understands why there have been other posts.

The other thing is, how often are the threads truly about the single topic? Rarely, right? There are always other factors that come into play which can shift the dialogue around.

I take her to CSDF for their drop in classes, she is currently enrolled in a program near our home, I take her to all deaf events in my area(nit to many here) ... I use thee sign I know constantly...I have exchanged email info to set up play dates with a couple of the deaf families from CSDF...I really am trying to help her and myself to understand and be part if the deaf community. I my self just finished ASL 1. And in January will be starting 2 and a class over the video pphone that CSDF is providing.

You are doing a wonderful job. You and your daughter will both benefit from your outlook on all of this.

That is AWESOME!!!!! And I know ASL is hard for hearing parents to learn....but here's how I think of it....if hearing parents demand that we have to learn to speak, then they should meet us halfway and learn OUR language.
What about speech therapy? Is she getting decent services? I don't think she'll need intense speech therapy as many HOH kids do respond well with minimal speech therapy....and it's exciting that if she goes to a deaf school, she'll have speech therapists who are actually experianced with dhh kids!

That is AWESOME!!!!! And I know ASL is hard for hearing parents to learn....but here's how I think of it....if hearing parents demand that we have to learn to speak, then they should meet us halfway and learn OUR language.
What about speech therapy? Is she getting decent services? I don't think she'll need intense speech therapy as many HOH kids do respond well with minimal speech therapy....and it's exciting that if she goes to a deaf school, she'll have speech therapists who are actually experianced with dhh kids!

Yep. This mom is traveling down a productive road. She and her daughter are going to have such fun making that journey!

Yep. This mom is traveling down a productive road. She and her daughter are going to have such fun making that journey!

And jillo, do you agree with me that overall the speech therapy at deaf schools tends to be a lot better then she could find at almost any public school? And I know that is going to invite a response from faire joure abt how crappy the speech services are at bi-bi schools.....but faire joure that was ONE program.
(and if it had been adminstrated correctly you would have been raving about bi-bi schools, including the speech services)
I'm very excited too for this family!

And this really does excite me .....this is one girl who will have ALL the tools in her toolbox from the start! I think too that it's going to be more common for HOH kids to be seen at Deaf Schools.....and you know what? I wonder too if that might mean that a lot of parents of deaf kids would then send their kids to deaf schools. I do think there are a lot of utterly clueless parents who believe that HOH= pretty much hearing, but I also strongly believe that a lot of parents are unaware that Deaf schools can be HOH friendly.

Thanks again for all the encouraging words! It helps me to knowi am on the right path. :ope evryone had a merry christmas and a happy new year

Wirelessly posted

deafdyke said:

And jillo, do you agree with me that overall the speech therapy at deaf schools tends to be a lot better then she could find at almost any public school? And I know that is going to invite a response from faire joure abt how crappy the speech services are at bi-bi schools.....but faire joure that was ONE program.
(and if it had been adminstrated correctly you would have been raving about bi-bi schools, including the speech services)
I'm very excited too for this family!

my only comment is that spoken language is not a priority in most ASL schools. They generally view speech as a way to pacify hearing parents not as a language (english) that is of equal importance as ASL.

i would simply encourage parents of young kids to visit with the older kids and see if they want the same outcome for their child, in ALL areas of language (ASL and written and spoken english).

Thanks again for all the encouraging words! It helps me to knowi am on the right path. :ope evryone had a merry christmas and a happy new year

Have a great 2012! We look forward to updates. :)

Wirelessly posted

my only comment is that spoken language is not a priority in most ASL schools. They generally view speech as a way to pacify hearing parents not as a language (english) that is of equal importance as ASL.

i would simply encourage parents of young kids to visit with the older kids and see if they want the same outcome for their child, in ALL areas of language (ASL and written and spoken english).

Oh god, have you been reading some of the back issues of Volta Voices again? As long as kids receive good quality speech therapy they will develop spoken language. Just b/c they don't offer a "all speech therapy all the day" option, doesn't mean that they don't care about spoken language. You do know there are a lot of HOH kids at schools for the deaf....HOH kids! There are PLENTY of ASL schools and even some programs that offer very decent spoken language services.

Right. I took speech therapy til 10 grade at both VSDB and MSSD. ASL using schools are not anti speech.

Wirelessly posted

And how many ASL schools do you have experiance with? You really keep extrapolarating your experiance with USDB with ALL Deaf Schools. One Deaf School does NOT represent the whole! Just b/c you ran into some voice off extremists,it doesn't mean that ALL deaf people represent that view.......

Back