update on deaf school or hearing school

Elaborate as to what you are labeling "voice off".

Well, I think voice off is pretty self explanatory. However I will add that the exception would be the interpreters for the "signing impaired".

Well, I think voice off is pretty self explanatory. However I will add that the exception would be the interpreters for the "signing impaired".

If it were self explanatory, an explanation would not have been asked for. "Voice off" can mean many things. I am asking what you define as a voice off environment. Are you actually implying that students are forbidden to use voice?

It is sad that some parents leave their children when they find out they are different. I'm sorry that's happening, but good for you for pursuing this path for your child. :) Besides, give him time... sometimes they come around after they've had time to adjust to the idea and realize how dumb it was for them to leave, although if you don't want to take him back because he did that I certainly don't blame you.

[/B]

Not sure how you came to that conclusion... Not in the slightest.

Then all you have to do is tell us what you are identifying as "voice off." Evidently, you think "voice off" is simply the use of ASL in instruction.

But, since you are avoiding answering the simple question, it would appear that you are not as certain of your assessment as you would like to believe.

and CSign, what you're missing is that the deaf schools will have to add decent speech services, b/c the old oral schools/programs won't be there to serve them any more. So instead of an oral deaf kid (who is struggling) going to Clarke or whatever, they'll go to state Deaf School, and learn ASL.....it's already happening at Maryland School, Colarado school and more!

and CSign, what you're missing is that the deaf schools will have to add decent speech services, b/c the old oral schools/programs won't be there to serve them any more. So instead of an oral deaf kid (who is struggling) going to Clarke or whatever, they'll go to state Deaf School, and learn ASL.....it's already happening at Maryland School, Colarado school and more!

What in the world are you talking about?

Yes, but they DO offer speech therapy for those who need/require it. It's not some glorious Deaf seperatist utopia you know.

Of course they would offer speech therapy to those that have it written in their IEP. I never said anything about there being no speech therapy.

Of course they would offer speech therapy to those that have it written in their IEP. I never said anything about there being no speech therapy.

in your own words, voice off and i would guess what you mean that they dont offer speech therapy. :dunno2: so you didnt say anything about speech therapy then can you explain what voice off in your own defines?

in your own words, voice off and i would guess what you mean that they dont offer speech therapy. :dunno2: so you didnt say anything about speech therapy then can you explain what voice off in your own defines?

I didn't address speech therapy until it was brought up by another poster. Voice off- instruction in ASL, communications between peers/staff in ASL. True ASL= voice off.

I didn't address speech therapy until it was brought up by another poster. Voice off- instruction in ASL, communications between peers/staff in ASL. True ASL= voice off.

That doesn't mean that students don't use their voice. Voice off would imply that students are forbidden to use their voice, much in the same way the oral programs forbid sign and would even go so far as to tie a child's hands to prevent it.

What you are referring to is a bilingual bicultural educational environment.

That doesn't mean that students don't use their voice. Voice off would imply that students are forbidden to use their voice, much in the same way the oral programs forbid sign and would even go so far as to tie a child's hands to prevent it.

What you are referring to is a bilingual bicultural educational environment.

Are you just looking for things to nit pick right now? You are projecting your distortions into what I wrote. Nothing I posted implied that students were "forbidden" to use their voice. However, students/staff are expected to be signing when they are communicating with others. It's a little thing called respect. I'm sure they wouldn't have their mouths hit with a ruler if they used their voice. However, if they are voicing they are expected to sign as well.

Are you just looking for things to nit pick right now? You are projecting your distortions into what I wrote. Nothing I posted implied that students were "forbidden" to use their voice. However, students/staff are expected to be signing when they are communicating with others. It's a little thing called respect. I'm sure they wouldn't have their mouths hit with a ruler if they used their voice. However, if they are voicing they are expected to sign as well.

No, not nit picking at all. And I am not the only one that is attempting to get you to say what you mean, or to accurately term educational environments. The Deaf have picked up on it, as well.

So, when was the last time that you spent the day at CSDF? Which classes did you observe? Which extra curricular activities did you observe. How many days did you do observation?

You keep telling people what CSDF does and doesn't you, yet you have virtually no personal experience with the school, or with deaf schools at all. Your child is mainstreamed, remember? The OP has more experience with CSDF than you do. And, as a parent just starting out in the educational system, she deserves accurate information.

No, not nit picking at all. And I am not the only one that is attempting to get you to say what you mean, or to accurately term educational environments. The Deaf have picked up on it, as well.

So, when was the last time that you spent the day at CSDF? Which classes did you observe? Which extra curricular activities did you observe. How many days did you do observation?

You keep telling people what CSDF does and doesn't you, yet you have virtually no personal experience with the school, or with deaf schools at all. Your child is mainstreamed, remember? The OP has more experience with CSDF than you do. And, as a parent just starting out in the educational system, she deserves accurate information.
:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

As expected.;) Still unwilling to honestly look at yourself and your beliefs. Your laughter is a defense mechanism. Oh, welll. Just don't complain when you get called out on that which you are unwilling to change. You must be satisfied with it, so don't complain when it is pointed out.

Now how about leaving your personal issues out of this mom's thread? She has decided on a bi-bi placement for her child. Let's discuss that realistically.

As expected.;) Still unwilling to honestly look at yourself and your beliefs. Your laughter is a defense mechanism. Oh, welll. Just don't complain when you get called out on that which you are unwilling to change. You must be satisfied with it, so don't complain when it is pointed out.

No honey, my laughter is a result of an essential stranger posting comments about me, as if she knows me and where I've been and what I've done.

Now how about leaving your personal issues out of this mom's thread? She has decided on a bi-bi placement for her child. Let's discuss that realistically.

Perhaps you should take your own advice? This mother is clearly on the right track, and can think for herself. Beyond that, my post was addressing DeafDyke's post that "voice off" is
becoming more rare, the implication being that CSDF wasn't voice off. I was clarifying that in fact, CSDF is voice off. Instruction and communication doesn't happen verbally at the school. Not sure why you're getting all funny about it. Well, actually I am sure why. I bet you are too :D

Last edited:
Perhaps you should take your own advice? This mother is clearly on the right track, and can think for herself. Beyond that, my post was addressing DeafDyke's post that "voice off" is
becoming more rare, the implication being that CSDF wasn't voice off. I was clarifying that in fact, CSDF is voice off. Instruction and communication doesn't happen verbally at the school. Not sure why you're getting all funny about it. Well, actually I am sure why. I bet you are too :D

You took that from something I wrote previously. Voice off kids (meaning kids who only sign, and don't have oral skills) are becoming a lot more rare. My implication wasn't that CSDF isn't voice off. Pure ASL by definition is voice off.....but you're defining voice off as NO oral training whatsoever!

Back