UN authoizes all measures including no fly zone on Libya.

Status
Not open for further replies.
but too fucking late....two planes went down, it should have prevented in the first place, what a slow ass move by UN.

Well, the UN is, at times, slow and unwieldly.

It won't be easy to oust Muammar Gaddafi like it was to oust Hosni Mubarak.

I may be on my own on this one.....But I think we should butt out. It's a civil war....Getting mixed up in those rarely ends well

I may be on my own on this one.....But I think we should butt out. It's a civil war....Getting mixed up in those rarely ends well

I typically take an isolationist approach as well. But, then I remember another civil war that happened about 235 years ago. It was called the American Revolution, and without the help of France we'd all be speaking... English. :D

I know this isn't quite the same, but, it's a tough situation. The rebels have started up their revolution of their own accord. It wasn't instigating by outside forces, and from what I can tell, they are trying to overthrow a terrible despot. I think they deserve some help from the rest of the free world.

I typically take an isolationist approach as well. But, then I remember another civil war that happened about 235 years ago. It was called the American Revolution, and without the help of France we'd all be speaking... English. :D

I know this isn't quite the same, but, it's a tough situation. The rebels have started up their revolution of their own accord. It wasn't instigating by outside forces, and from what I can tell, they are trying to overthrow a terrible despot. I think they deserve some help from the rest of the free world.

damn french i could have a cool accent :D

You both made some good points. I guess it really depends on several factors. Like if the Libyans is asking the world to intervene then maybe that's okay.

But I have to concede perhaps it's not a good idea for America to call the shots concerning Libya since American involvement never seems to work out well in the long term. Now don't shoot me for saying this!

I think it's best to leave this crisis to Arab world and let's see if they'll do something about it.

But I have to concede perhaps it's not a good idea for America to call the shots concerning Libya since American involvement never seems to work out well in the long term. Now don't shoot me for saying this!

I won't shoot ya....lol. That is my thinking. We can't win this one. Even if we take daffy out we still lose.

That wasn't a civil war; it was a war for independence from the mother country across the Pond.

We did have a civil, domestic war in 1861.

Why cant people fight there own wars?They need to read a book on guerilla warfare

Why cant people fight there own wars?They need to read a book on guerilla warfare

what for? it's the reason why we lost over 4,000 soldiers. they fight dirty :mad:

You both made some good points. I guess it really depends on several factors. Like if the Libyans is asking the world to intervene then maybe that's okay.

I think it's best to leave this crisis to Arab world and let's see if they'll do something about it.

yep. Saudi's handling it.

currently - Saudi sent thousands of soldiers (..... cough mercenaries) to Bahrain. I was concerned for my friend and his family. They're very wealthy and well-connected so they may be a target.

That wasn't a civil war; it was a war for independence from the mother country across the Pond.

We did have a civil, domestic war in 1861.

Yes, but the Tories and Loyalists (up to 40% of the colonial population at the start of the war) were "Americans" and aligned themselves with the despotic rule of England and fought against their fellow countrymen. I agree the schematics are not entirely the same as the situation in Libya, and certainly different from the Civil War that occurred a hundred years later, but there were still a lot of elements of civil war leading up to and at the onset of the American Revolution.

My point is, what would have happened if the rest of the world had just shrugged their shoulders and said, "Let's see how this plays out?" This is why I get very angry when people in this country put down the French and call them sissies. I guess we've forgotten that without them, we never would have won the war, and the world would be a very different place right now.

But I am inclined to agree with Miss D. I think it should be the Arab World that intervenes--not the US. I think it's time for the United States to stop playing international policeman. The only problem is, if we stand back and do nothing, then the rest of the world cries and points their finger at us after atrocities occur, somehow making it our fault. (Rwanda, anyone?) We've gotten ourselves into quite a quagmire.

I guess we've forgotten that without them, we never would have won the war, and the world would be a very different place right now.

I doubt it. the war could have been much longer.

I doubt it. the war could have been much longer.

It's pretty much an accepted historical fact that without France, we would have lost what has come to be known as the "American Revolution." Sure, fighting may have continued, and we eventually might have gained independence, but it would not have been in the manner that we so often romanticize and use as inspiration for our ideals of freedom. Also, France was one of the biggest suppliers of munitions for the colonists, even before they entered the war in 1778.

Keep in mind that the involvement of France (and Spain) played a big part not just in America, but all around the world. The United States was a pithy little country at the time with no navy. By comparison, England, France, and Spain were giants using our war for independence in a much broader battle for world dominance.

It's pretty much an accepted historical fact that without France, we would have lost what has come to be known as the "American Revolution." Sure, fighting may have continued, and we eventually might have gained independence, but it would not have been in the manner that we so often romanticize and use as inspiration for our ideals of freedom. Also, France was one of the biggest suppliers of munitions for the colonists, even before they entered the war in 1778.

Keep in mind that the involvement of France (and Spain) played a big part not just in America, but all around the world. The United States was a pithy little country at the time with no navy. By comparison, England, France, and Spain were giants using our war for independence in a much broader battle for world dominance.

France hated England. We hated England. It makes sense for them to aid one against the common enemy.

France hated England. We hated England. It makes sense for them to aid one against the common enemy.

That doesn't make their contribution to our independence any less important, does it?

That doesn't make their contribution to our independence any less important, does it?

they were not contributing to our independence. they contributed to England's defeat.

what for? it's the reason why we lost over 4,000 soldiers. they fight dirty :mad:

So?

Here's to those who know the tricks
From booby traps to punji sticks:
They don't need the strength of thirty
When they can win by playing dirty.

:shrugs:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back