Trump: Obama Must Release Birth Certificate

Status
Not open for further replies.
To further clarify - this is needed because anyone who has ever been president is always a President, so "sitting President" is "The President" who currently is sitting in the office. (ie George W. Bush is still currently "President George W. Bush" and Clinton is still "President Clinton", so to distinguish their official titles from Obama, Obama is currently known as the "sitting President" rather than a Former President.

I learned that from The West Wing. :)
The West Wing should have asked Miss Manners. ;)

According to her, former office holders in America are supposed to drop their titles once they're out of office.

It drives me nuts when TV hosts refer to their guests as Gov. Palin, Speaker Pelosi, Mayor Giulianni, Speaker Gingrich, Gov. Huckabee, and Secretary Madeleine Albright.

Military ranks for honorably discharged people are permanent. Political titles are not.

Really, Miss Manners said that? I would beg to differ, myself. I go by the convention that former Presidents, Vice-Presidents, Governors, Senators, Representatives, judges, military officers, and ambassadors retain their titles for life.

The West Wing should have asked Miss Manners. ;)

According to her, former office holders in America are supposed to drop their titles once they're out of office.

It drives me nuts when TV hosts refer to their guests as Gov. Palin, Speaker Pelosi, Mayor Giulianni, Speaker Gingrich, Gov. Huckabee, and Secretary Madeleine Albright.

Military ranks for honorably discharged people are permanent. Political titles are not.

Haha, well, apparently popular sentiment overrode Miss Manners. ;)

Though really, who decides these things, anyways?

Answers.com - Are former presidents still called President

This answer claims that the correct title is the highest position held BEFORE becoming President.

News to me. I spent my adult career working for the Federal government, and we always called a visiting official by either his current title, if still in that position, or his highest past title, if retired.

Really, Miss Manners said that? I would beg to differ, myself. I go by the convention that former Presidents, Vice-Presidents, Governors, Senators, Representatives, judges, military officers, and ambassadors retain their titles for life.
This is from a longer list:

Referring to Former Officials
by their Former Office in the Third Person?

One thing I find missing is how one should reference a former United States Official in descriptive text or to a third party. I notice that former Governor Huckabee is always introduced as Governor Huckabee on his TV show. Is this correct, incorrect, or optional? I assume it is correct to use their official titles when describing their actions in office.
-- MLB

Dear MLB:
Mike Huckabee would not be referred to as "Governor Huckabee" at the Governor's Mansion, in Washington, D.C., at the State Capital, or in the U.S. Capital. He'd be "Mike Huckabee, former Governor of ..." or "Mr. Huckabee."
Perhaps the producers of the show are concerned everyone won't know who he is?
Former officials who hold a position of which there is more than one at a time -- retired judges, retired ambassadors, retired generals, retired senators, retired bishops etc. -- use their “title” in every situation for the rest of their lives. But officials of which there there is only one at a time (The Governor, The President of the United States, The Speaker of the House, The Secretary of State, The Surgeon General ...) don't continue use of their former title. They use what they were entitled before taking the one-at-a-time position. E.g., Dwight Eisenhower in retirement went back to "General Eisenhower" He was no longer The President". Same with Colin Powell ... he's no longer "Mr. Secretary" or "Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff" ... he's General Powell. Bill Clinton is now "Mr. Clinton." When you hear a TV journalist saying "President Clinton" it's a short-hand third-person phrase to quickly tell the viewer who is being discussed. It's not a form of address....
Robert Hickey's Blog on How to Address Former US Officials

Hmmmmm...... I don't think everyone got the memo on that. Interesting distinction between the "many at a time" vs. "one at a time" position. That would explain all the former ambassadors, judges, senators, etc., still using their titles, as well as the military officers.

To further clarify - this is needed because anyone who has ever been president is always a President, so "sitting President" is "The President" who currently is sitting in the office. (ie George W. Bush is still currently "President George W. Bush" and Clinton is still "President Clinton", so to distinguish their official titles from Obama, Obama is currently known as the "sitting President" rather than a Former President.

I learned that from The West Wing. :)

:)

but other than that....exactly. I was about to post the same thing

BTW, Former Governor Mike Huckabee is currently building a house in Florida. He will reside there once it is complete. Why? Florida has no state income tax although the cost of living there is ridiculous.

Hmmmmm...... I don't think everyone got the memo on that. Interesting distinction between the "many at a time" vs. "one at a time" position. That would explain all the former ambassadors, judges, senators, etc., still using their titles, as well as the military officers.
Etiquette and protocol, in general, are neglected these days.

I wonder if Donald Trump can get his college records?

Bebonang, I hope you believe the explanations from Reba and St. S. about "sitting president," which, as they said, means absolutely no disrespect at all. It just means the "current President," as opposed to former President, or President-elect, or similar terms.

President Obama Facebook Town Hall Revs White House Social Media Machine - ABC News

Here is an example from an ABC news story about Obama visiting Facebook, where they say:

"The visit, part of a three-day West Coast trip to sell his deficit-reduction plan, is the first by a sitting president to the world's largest social media network."

It's a common phrase, really. No disrespect about it at all. The reference is to holding the seat of power.

Difference between "a sitting president" and "THE sitting President". The former is used in a time or historical context. to say 'The sitting President, Barack Obama," is negative.

"...who was the first sitting president that..." is different.

RE: Former titles: It's usually "The Honorable" in third person, with some exceptions, like President and certain Secretaries. Hickey has a blog on what is considered 'proper', you know, like Miss Manners, but there are new facto rules now.
Also, when using 3rd person, it's expected to say "President Bush" or "President Clinton".

One thing I HATE is when people say "Hillary". Wtf. She was a Senator. Now she's Madame Secretary, biznitchez.

For whatever reason, President-elects are always called by their last highest title, even if they don't have it anymore. "Governor Bush", "Governor Clinton", "Senator Obama".

Probably. Employers do it to verify actual enrollment in said university.

What TheOracle said - the most that can be legally verifies without your consent is dates of enrollment and dates/year of graduation.

What TheOracle said - the most that can be legally verifies without your consent is dates of enrollment and dates/year of graduation.

And if the graduated.....

"legally" being the key phrase of course.

:laugh2: OMG! The birthers finally get set on their ears, and now people are throwing around remarks that create questions regarding his educational background! What next?:laugh2:

The absurdity of it all.:laugh2:

The frightening thing is that some people actually buy into this nonsense.

I don't know what the secrecy is about school records. Don't we know all about G.W. Bush's school years? Don't we know about his DUI's, his military record, his health record?

I believe we know more about George Washington's childhood and schooling (in the days before computerized files) from over 200 years ago, than we know about our most recent President in the digital age.

What's the big secret? :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back