True ASL dictionaries

No, just very busy.. Finally got my birth certificate but there are other problems.. Like my social security files don't include a lot of my earnings.

All I want to do is retire.

Glad to see you still here.

Glad to see you back!

Thank you. I won't be able to be here a lot until next year... If I can retire.

30600635_b.jpg

Martin L.A. Sternberg
American sign language Dictionary

ASLpro is often wrong.

I agree with this. "Murder" looks a lot more like "sneak-in." I laughed when I looked at the "fall in love" phrase in the ASL phrase section.

Honestly, it would be best if volunteers submitted their own video clips, the clips would be reviewed and approved, and the clips would be added to the dictionaries. This would enhance the sign database a lot more, plus the website can also show multiple versions (i.e. there's like 26 different signs for birthday, but the website shows only one version that's common on the east coast).

No, just very busy.. Finally got my birth certificate but there are other problems.. Like my social security files don't include a lot of my earnings.

I am happy hear you final back! :wave:

I am glad hear you final back! :wave:

Last edited:
30600635_b.jpg

Martin L.A. Sternberg
American sign language Dictionary

I have this one... though with any print dictionary... I for one miss a lot of it... and they aren't exactly the easiest to read. and actually get the correct movement from.

I have this one... though with any print dictionary... I for one miss a lot of it... and they aren't exactly the easiest to read. and actually get the correct movement from.

My favorite!

Although now I actually like the video ones I have put on electronic devices. (I'm so modern! :P )

I think so I had on book I am not sure author I check it!

I just wanted to say • ASL • American Sign Language is the best ASL resource I've found since I started this thread, and I'm surprised it's not more well known. The owner of the site actually explains how to properly use signs. After only a couple hours with the place, I've decided my RHW ASL dictionary has definitely done more harm than good :shock:

I just wanted to say • ASL • American Sign Language is the best ASL resource I've found since I started this thread, and I'm surprised it's not more well known. The owner of the site actually explains how to properly use signs. After only a couple hours with the place, I've decided my RHW ASL dictionary has definitely done more harm than good :shock:
It's good but I wouldn't say it's the best, and it is a well-known site.

There is no one site alone that is the be all and end all for ASL. I use them all as resources.

I just checked out the 'American Sign Language Video Dictionary and Inflection Guide' after reading about it in this thread. I went to the RIT page, RIT - NTID - ASL Video Dictionary and Inflection Guide, and there is an Iphone app for $1.99. There is also an Android app on the way and the web page mentions a two-day free trial for the online version is available. So I just sent an email to them to see when their Android App will be up and running and if I can get the free two-day trial for the online version.

http://www.ntid.rit.edu/dictionary/demo

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
I emailed them and now trying out the online version for two days. It is fantastic! There have been many versions of signs that my tutor uses that I've not found online before. I am finding them on this site. So easy and clear! Highly recommended!!!

It's good but I wouldn't say it's the best, and it is a well-known site.

There is no one site alone that is the be all and end all for ASL. I use them all as resources.

I was not trying to insinuate that it's the only worth while ASL site. It's one of the more helpful ones I've come across, though. I was just trying to point out how I think a standard ASL dictionary is not a good idea for me, because I am a novice. As for other resources, other than aslpro.com, what else do you know of? Gimmy! And thanks in advance :D

There are so many dictionary-type resources out there - boy have they come a long way! I have used and perused quite a few but to-date my favorite resources are:

- The Canadian Dictionary of ASL (Bailey & Dolby) - its a large and rather cumbersome hardcover dictionary but invaluable to me. It contains clear illustrations and descriptions of each sign and it's movement, a sample sentence using that sign, common variations as well as regional variations (when applicable) and also has additional grouped information such as pronouns, time, geographical place names, time concepts, and handshapes.

- ASL Dictionary (5200 signs) android app. I find it is a generally good resource to have on hand for those moments when I suddenly think of a word I don't know the sign for and want the answer on the spot just to satisfy my own curiousity.

Google top search result is ASL Pro.. they say they have 7200 signs.

[ame]http://www.amazon.ca/Canadian-Dictionary-Charmaine-Letourneau-C-M/dp/0888643004[/ame]
expesnive on costly Canadian people whom is buy on Canadian American Sign language!. (The Canadian Dictionary of ASL)

Different US Country :)

Back